Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Nikkor 24-70 F4 S lens problem?

REBZALMAN1 REBZALMAN1

Is from: Lake Worth, Florida, US
538 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
REBZALMAN1 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for the contribution to the 2020 campaign Nikonian since 18th Oct 2011
Fri 03-Dec-21 03:56 PM
My Nikkor Z 24-70 F4 S lens does not completely close. It stops at 24 and will not go to the white dot. When I opened the lens for the first time I thought I heard an internal crack. Other than not completely closing the lens functions and pictures are sharp. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Dennis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DaveSoderlund DaveSoderlund

Is from: Ferndale, US
2719 posts

#1. "RE: Nikkor 24-70 F4 S lens problem?" | In response to Reply # 0

DaveSoderlund Moderator Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest awarded for his high technical knowledge in several areas Nikonian since 29th May 2010
Fri 03-Dec-21 04:21 PM
Dennis,

Sounds like some sort of internal damage. A friend of mine had the misfortune to drop his 24-70 while changing lenses. After the accident his lens, like yours, would no longer retract to its “storage” position. Otherwise it continued to work fine.

Is it still under warranty?

Dave
Nikonians Team member
http://davidsoderlundphotography.com

REBZALMAN1 REBZALMAN1

538 posts

#2. "RE: Nikkor 24-70 F4 S lens problem?" | In response to Reply # 0

REBZALMAN1 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for the contribution to the 2020 campaign Nikonian since 18th Oct 2011
Fri 03-Dec-21 07:58 PM | edited Fri 03-Dec-21 08:00 PM by REBZALMAN1
Hi Dave:
Thank you for your analysis. I received the lens as a gift and do not know its provenance. It was "collapsed" when I received it.Possibly someone dropped it; I do not know. I have many lenses for my DSL cameras and they serve my needs. I purchased the Z 24-200 4-6.3 lens for my Z6 and use the combo as my "walk around" camera. Being primarily a wildlife photographer a 200mm lens will not be satisfactory for my purposes and I will use one of my DSLs with a long lens. Truthfully, based on the problem with the lens, I would be reluctant to purchase any additional Z lenses. My F mount DSL lenses are heavier but appear to be better built than the Z lenses.
Dennis

ericbowles ericbowles

Is from: Atlanta, US
17382 posts

#3. "RE: Nikkor 24-70 F4 S lens problem?" | In response to Reply # 2

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landsc... Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sat 04-Dec-21 11:52 AM
Try working the lens a bit. This has happened to my 24-70 a few times but has been easily rectified. I find the lens "catches" occasionally.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Nikonians Team Moderator
My Gallery
Workshops and Private Instruction

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

REBZALMAN1 REBZALMAN1

538 posts

#4. "RE: Nikkor 24-70 F4 S lens problem?" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 04-Dec-21 02:44 PM
Hi Eric:
Thank you for your suggestion. I have unsuccessfully attempted to "work the lens", and do not wish to "force" it to retract because I will probably damage it beyond functionality. It does remain usable and full retracting is a relatively minor problem.
Dennis

ericbowles ericbowles

Is from: Atlanta, US
17382 posts

#5. "RE: Nikkor 24-70 F4 S lens problem?" | In response to Reply # 4

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landsc... Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sat 04-Dec-21 03:26 PM
You should probably send it to Nikon for service when you get time. That's not the way it is supposed to work.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Nikonians Team Moderator
My Gallery
Workshops and Private Instruction

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

REBZALMAN1 REBZALMAN1

538 posts

#6. "RE: Nikkor 24-70 F4 S lens problem?" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 04-Dec-21 04:33 PM
You are absolutely correct, Eric, and certainly a serious consideration. I have the lens for several months and doubt it is covered by the 1 year warranty. I can live with the problem especially since I use the 24-200
F4-6.3 as my lens on the Z6. As a wildlife photographer I have several excellent long lenses for my DSLR cameras and certainly will not consider replacing them with lenses for a mirrorless camera. I also can always utilize my F mount lenses with the FTZ adapter.
My best wishes for the Holiday season !
Dennis

G