Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

z24-200 f4 lens

marnigirl marnigirl

Is from: Prescott, US
4626 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
marnigirl Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded for his generous contribution to the 2017-2018 fundraising campaign Nikonian since 16th Dec 2011
Mon 03-May-21 03:15 PM
Anyone have a yea or nay on the above lens. Thanks, Dale

Many times when I click the shutter, I just hope ....

Voted Best Pet Photographer 2020, greater Prescott,AZ Area.
Exhibited: Prescott, AZ's Phippen Museum's "Click-Expose the West"
Images featured in Photoshop Mag., Today Show in NY and LA, and local Prescott Periodicals.
'Libertas Ad Vagor" (Freedom to Roam)

mklass mklass

Is from: Tacoma, US
13331 posts

#1. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, ... Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Ribbon awarded for his most generous donation in 2017 Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the 2017-2018 fundraising campaign Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Mon 03-May-21 03:49 PM
Dale, it is a f/4-6.3 lens. It gets smaller than f/4 pretty quick.

Never-the-less, it is a nice, all purpose lens for the Z cameras. It stays reasonably sharp throughout the range. And your only other choice so far to go long with a Z-mount lens is the 70-200 f/2.8 monster.

Mick
"The difference between a professional photographer and other photographers is the pro doesn't show you the bad shots."

Web Site: http://www.mickklassphoto.com
My Nikonians Galleries: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/117796

See my portfolio.

marnigirl marnigirl

4626 posts

#2. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 1

marnigirl Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded for his generous contribution to the 2017-2018 fundraising campaign Nikonian since 16th Dec 2011
Mon 03-May-21 06:26 PM
Thanks Mick, I am looking for two main lens to take to Africa. Last time I took my 70-200 f2.8 and a 200-500, both DSLR. I have acquired a Z7ii and thought I might use the 24-200 on it. Not sure I am willing to pay about $1500 more than the price of an F4 Z. I have looked around YouTube and for the most part people seem to feel the 24-200 is a pretty good lens. I suppose I could always use the 70-200 f2.8 DSLR on the Z7ii but am in a quandary. Therefore is the reason for some input from some Nikonians. Certainly appreciate your response, thanks so much, Take Care, Dale

Images featured in Photoshop Mag., Today Show in NY and LA, and local Prescott Periodicals.

apakett apakett

Is from: San Diego, US
196 posts

#3. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 2

apakett Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2013
Mon 03-May-21 06:42 PM
You may want to consider, for your trip, the AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR. It is compact, has excellent image quality, and is on sale for $400. It will require am FTZ adapter

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

REBZALMAN1 REBZALMAN1

Is from: Lake Worth, Florida, US
86 posts

#4. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 0

REBZALMAN1 Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2011
Mon 03-May-21 07:53 PM
Hi Dale,
Just received my 24-200 f 4-6.3 from B and H for my Z6 and absolutely love it; is relatively light weight, and sharp. The lens is often in short supply so if you are considering the purchase I recommend you start shopping around now. Some dealers are asking a premium for the lens which is ridiculous. It is a great general walk around lens. The only thing I would question is the 200mm "reach" for wild life. Will you also be bringing the 500mm with you and use it with the FTZ?
Dennis

jbk224 jbk224

Is from: Floral Park, US
451 posts

#5. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 0

jbk224 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2006
Mon 03-May-21 11:01 PM
Dale,
I basically agree with Dennis. I just got the 24-200 and have been trying it out. I don't shoot wildlife or BIF.. So far, it has worked out just fine--for my style of shooting. The variable aperture doesn't bother me since I use it in enough light. I gave up my 70-200 f/4 and 28-300. No regrets.
I would not use this as my primary lens on safari. And, I don't expect you will have a hard time finding this lens at a Nikon Dealer.

Now known as Poppyrazzi for our family---sweet!

marnigirl marnigirl

4626 posts

#6. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 03-May-21 11:04 PM
Thanks Allan, I will give that some thought, definitely a good price. Thanks for the info, appreciated, Take Care, Dale

marnigirl marnigirl

4626 posts

#7. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 03-May-21 11:06 PM
Hi Dennis, yep for sure I will be taking the 200-500. Worked quite well for me on my trip last year. Good to hear about your experience with the 24-200. Appreciate your response, Take Care, Dale

marnigirl marnigirl

4626 posts

#8. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 03-May-21 11:11 PM
Thanks for the post Jon. My primary will be the 200-500. I am mostly a four legged wildlife photographer but a lot of the folks on the trip are birders so was thinking the 24-200 would be good for when we stop for the birder shots. Thanks so much for responding, appreciated, Take Care, Dale

ctnorm7 ctnorm7

Is from: Shelton, US
1703 posts

#9. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 0

ctnorm7 Gold Member Ribbon awarded for his generous contribution to the 2019 Fundraising campaign Nikonian since 23rd Jun 2016
Tue 04-May-21 11:56 AM
Hi Dale, I've had the 24-200 for a while and find it great for general photography...it will be my travel lens along with the z14-30. Sounds like you'd be all set with the 200-500 & the 24-200 for your trip.
I also got an inexpensive set of Meike extension tubes made for the Z system (see Amazon) and they work well with the 24-200 as well.
Happy travels!
Norm

marnigirl marnigirl

4626 posts

#10. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 9

Tue 04-May-21 12:15 PM
Thank You Norm. Really appreciate your input. Take Care, Dale

mborgare mborgare

Is from: Blacksburg, US
1870 posts

#11. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 0

mborgare Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2019
Tue 04-May-21 02:49 PM
Dale,

I have used the Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 for few months. I really love the lens. It is not the fastest one but this in my opinion is compensated by how light and compact the lens is. The IQ is also very good. More, you can drop it in the ocean and keep working.... (guess how I do know

Best wishes

Michele

“From my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream” (Vincent Van Gogh)

marnigirl marnigirl

4626 posts

#12. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 05-May-21 12:05 AM
Well Michele, I did not know that I could go diving with it as well . Thanks for the info and your liking the lens. Appreciate you chiming in, take care,, Dale

tjeeper tjeeper

Is from: Loveland, US
131 posts

#13. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 0

tjeeper Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2018
Wed 05-May-21 10:36 AM
I ordered the 24-200 direct from Nikon when it was introduced and its been on my Z6 exclusively since receiving it a year ago. The only fault I have seen is more lens flare than what I saw with the 24-70f4. Other than that, its great. I admit to being addicted to zooms, and was wishing I had more long end while shooting the 24-70 kit lens for the first year I owned the Z6.

Kevin
Loveland, CO

jbk224 jbk224

451 posts

#14. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 13

Wed 05-May-21 10:39 AM
have you ever tried it in DX mode?

mklass mklass

Is from: Tacoma, US
13331 posts

#15. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 14

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, ... Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Ribbon awarded for his most generous donation in 2017 Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the 2017-2018 fundraising campaign Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Wed 05-May-21 11:33 AM
That doesn’t change the “reach”, it just crops to the same field of view that you would get be cropping the full frame image.

A 200mm lens is still a 200mm lens in terms of magnification, no matter what the sensor dimensions. The only thing that changes is the field of view.

I think the science is settled on this.

Mick
"The difference between a professional photographer and other photographers is the pro doesn't show you the bad shots."

Web Site: http://www.mickklassphoto.com
My Nikonians Galleries: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/117796

See my portfolio.

jbk224 jbk224

451 posts

#16. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 05-May-21 12:14 PM
Yes. Did not suggest otherwise. Just a ?

Matto

Is from: Glenwood, US
1064 posts

#17. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 14

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007
Wed 05-May-21 08:59 PM
I used it on my Z50 and I found it quite useful the FF FOV is from 35mm to 300mm and that worked well for me on that occasion since I didn't need it for wider angle FOV.

Matthew

marnigirl marnigirl

4626 posts

#18. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 16

Thu 06-May-21 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone, very helpful. I have enough info now. Take Care, Dale

RightOnPhotography RightOnPhotography

Is from: Québec, CA
8 posts

#19. "RE: z24-200 f4 lens" | In response to Reply # 0

RightOnPhotography Registered since 16th Dec 2019
Mon 07-Jun-21 01:01 PM
It is an excellent lens, the image quality is almost indistinguishable from Z 24-70 f/4, so you will get 70-200 range as a bonus. For portraits, I have Z 50mm and Z 85mm, for wildlife I have 70-300mm, and for UWA I have AF-P 10-20, but for everyday use, it's 24-200mm.

Efraim
Quebec City, Canada
Nikon Z6, Nikon Z7, Nikon Z50, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S, Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8 S, Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S, Nikkor Z 24-200 f4-6.3,
Nikkor AF-P 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor AF-P 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6.
Web: http://www.rightonphotography.com

G