New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!

DaveSoderlund DaveSoderlund

Is from: Ferndale, US
2719 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DaveSoderlund Moderator Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest awarded for his high technical knowledge in several areas Nikonian since 29th May 2010
Wed 28-Oct-20 05:16 PM
I just acquired a lightly used Z6, and I was fully intending to use it with my F glass and the FTZ adapter, but the dreaded NAS struck!

I walked into the local camera store (Action Camera, Reno, NV) to pick up a Peak Design strap for the Z6 and while I was waiting to be served I saw a Z24-200 on the shelf behind the counter. It was their last one, and none of the big online sellers seems to have them in stock, so...I bought it!

It makes for an impressively compact kit. Now I have a serviceable native Z lens to tide me over until Nikon brings out the Z24-105 -- which I may or may not decide I need.

Time for fun and games next week in Death Valley,

Dave

Dave
Nikonians Team member
http://davidsoderlundphotography.com

JonK JonK

Is from: Alexandria, US
9720 posts

#1. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 0

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife,... Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Donor Ribbon awarded for the generous contribution to the 2014 campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the generous contribution to the 2020 campaign Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2004
Wed 28-Oct-20 05:40 PM
Nice score!

Jon Kandel
An Alexandria, VA Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!
ajdooley ajdooley

Is from: Waterloo, US
6629 posts

#2. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Moderator Awarded for his frequent encouraging comments, sharing his knowledge in the Nikonians spirit. Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2017 Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the 2017 fundraising campaign Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level of skill in several areas, especially photojo Ribbon awarded for his repeated generous contributions to the 2019 Fundraising campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the contribution to the 2020 campaign Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Wed 28-Oct-20 06:01 PM
Sometimes we land on our feet, Dave!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.
See my portfolio.

mklass mklass

Is from: Bremerton, US
18216 posts

#3. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, ... Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Ribbon awarded for his most generous donation in 2017 Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the 2017 fundraising campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the most generous contribution to the 2015 campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the extraordinary generous contribution to the 2016 campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the most generous contribution to the 2016 campaign Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Wed 28-Oct-20 06:39 PM
It is a handy lens to have, Dave.

Mick
"The difference between a professional photographer and other photographers is the pro doesn't show you the bad shots."

Web Site: http://www.mickklassphoto.com
My Nikonians Galleries: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/117796

See my portfolio.

2719 posts

#4. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 1

DaveSoderlund Moderator Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest awarded for his high technical knowledge in several areas Nikonian since 29th May 2010
Wed 28-Oct-20 06:53 PM

Dave
Nikonians Team member

2719 posts

#5. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 2

Wed 28-Oct-20 06:54 PM
What's that saying about blind pigs -- even they find an acorn sometimes!

Dave
Nikonians Team member

2719 posts

#6. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 28-Oct-20 07:01 PM
I think so, Mick. I'm not normally a superzoom fan, but I was persuaded in part by Jason Odell's YouTube comparison review that suggested the Z24-200 was pretty much equivalent in the 24-120mm focal length range to the F-mount 24-120 f/4 -- a lens I've been pretty happy with on both the D750 and D850 for 6 years. If that proves to be true, it will allow me to leave my 70-300 AF-P at home on many occasions. My current FX F-mount wide angle choices are the Nikon 20mm f/1.8 and the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4. Both acquire VR on the Z6 via IBIS, which is a bonus for hand-holding. I like either of them as a wide alternative with the FTZ adapter for the time being.

Dave

Dave
Nikonians Team member

#7. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 29-Oct-20 11:31 AM
After months of it being on backorder and apparently missing the list to get shipped when it was available, I FINALY got word today that it was being shipped from BH and arriving on Nov.2nd.

I was just about ready to abandon the Z6 and go to the Z50 due to reach and cost of lenses.
Hopefully this will fit the bill until more affordable lenses come out of Nikon or 3rd party.
It should fit nicely with my 14-30 and my TTartisan 11mm. Depending on the IQ of the lens, I may sell my 24-70

2719 posts

#8. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 29-Oct-20 01:18 PM
Sometimes it's not a bad thing to do business with a low-volume dealer! I can tell you, stories like yours are the reason why I was shocked to see the 24-200 sitting on the shelf at Action Camera, and my purchase decision was nearly instantaneous. Also, I like to give my business when possible to the local store -- especially now that we have to pay sales tax on out-of-state internet purchases anyway.

I'll be interested to hear how your 24-200 stacks up to the 24-70.

Dave

Dave
Nikonians Team member

#9. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 29-Oct-20 01:29 PM | edited Thu 29-Oct-20 01:32 PM by Mark_F
I would love to have a local store. Closest one here is 3 hours away. When I am in that area, I do go there to see what they have.
I have heard pros and cons on the comparison between the 24-200 vs 24-70. Some say not that much difference, some say they've returned the 24-200, some say they sold the 24-70. I will be running the 24-200 thru its paces once I get it. More so with lower light situations.
Hope yours is doing well for you.
mklass mklass

18216 posts

#10. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 9

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, ... Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Ribbon awarded for his most generous donation in 2017 Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the 2017 fundraising campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the most generous contribution to the 2015 campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the extraordinary generous contribution to the 2016 campaign Donor Ribbon awarded for the most generous contribution to the 2016 campaign Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Thu 29-Oct-20 01:52 PM
Mark,

I think it is really a silly comparison, they are 2 different lenses for 2 different purposes.

The 24-70 (either one) is a constant aperture wide the medium zoom useful when a faster aperture is desired, mainly for DOF purposes.

The 24-200 is a convenience lens when you are willing to trade fast aperture (again, primarily DOF) for the convenience of a Superzoom. DOF isn't important.

Fast aperture these days is mostly a DOF issue, modern cameras' higher ISO performance can overcome the lower light gathering. But you can't get f/4 DOF with a f/6.3 lens.

Mick
"The difference between a professional photographer and other photographers is the pro doesn't show you the bad shots."

My Nikonians Galleries: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/117796

See my portfolio.

2719 posts

#11. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 29-Oct-20 03:17 PM
Exactly, MIck! Fortunately most of my photography involves maximizing (rather than mimimizing) DOF so the difference between wide-open apertures of f/4 and f/6.3 is not so critical. One of the nice things about Z lenses in general is that they are reported to perform well when shot wide open.

I wouldn't expect the 24-200 to match the sharpness of the 24-70 f/4. I just need to shoot with the 24-200 to find out if it is sharp enough (especially in the 24-120mm range) to be an effective replacement for the F-mount 24-120 f/4 for what I do.

Dave

Dave
Nikonians Team member

#12. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 29-Oct-20 03:18 PM
I understand that Mick. It has been mentioned that its more feasible to compare the 24-200 to the 28-200 instead. My comparison would only be based on which lenses I have and how it compares to my 24-70 in that range. I eventually want the 70-200 f4 to complete the trio... so interest in this lens is only for the 70-200 range. Thats what I will be checking out.
mklass mklass

18216 posts

#13. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 12

Thu 29-Oct-20 03:39 PM
Thereby only Z lens to compare it to is the70-200 f/2.8.

You could do a comparison with the F mount 79-200 f/4, if you have one. I think it will be quite a while before we see a Z mount version of that lens.

Mick

See my portfolio.

ctnorm7 ctnorm7

Is from: Shelton, US
3157 posts

#14. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 0

ctnorm7 Gold Member Ribbon awarded for his generous contribution to the 2019 Fundraising campaign Nikonian since 23rd Jun 2016
Fri 30-Oct-20 09:43 AM
Congratulations Dave! I think you will like using the lens. I have used it a lot since getting it when it first became available. It's especially useful when I don't want to take a `full kit'& my FTZ on a hike or day walk. Surprisingly I also have had some luck using this lens with glass close up filters.
Have fun!
Norm

Norm Solomon
Normsolomonphotography.com

mklass mklass

18216 posts

#15. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 14

Fri 30-Oct-20 09:47 AM
Norm,

Which close-up filters have you used with the 24-200 and found to be good? 67mm?

Mick

See my portfolio.

#16. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 11

Fri 30-Oct-20 04:11 PM | edited Fri 30-Oct-20 04:13 PM by Mark_F
https://youtu.be/iLIzx6U0xRg
This might be a review you'd find interesting.
According to him... there isn't much difference in sharpness with the 70-200 f4 vs 24-200. He also has an interesting test with focus breathing making the 24-200 reach just a little farther.

2719 posts

#17. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 16

Fri 30-Oct-20 08:42 PM
Interesting! I no longer own the 70-200 f/4 — I replaced it with the 70-300 AF-P (FX version) to save a little weight and gain 100mm of reach. However, I had no complaints about the sharpness and color rendition of the 70-200.

I should compare the Z 24-200 with the 70-300 AF-P in their shared focal length range.

Dave

Dave
Nikonians Team member

ctnorm7 ctnorm7

Is from: Shelton, US
3157 posts

#18. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 0

ctnorm7 Gold Member Ribbon awarded for his generous contribution to the 2019 Fundraising campaign Nikonian since 23rd Jun 2016
Sat 31-Oct-20 05:20 PM
Hi Mick, I used a 77mm Hoya with a stepping ring. I was pleased with the results — although not as good as the 105 macro the filters are good if you want to travel light & you may or may not need a full macro kit. See photo attached.
Norm

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Norm Solomon
Normsolomonphotography.com

mklass mklass

18216 posts

#19. "RE: Found a Z 24-200 at the local camera store!" | In response to Reply # 18

Sat 31-Oct-20 08:13 PM
Thanks, Norm. I have a 77mm Canon 500D Close-up lens, I may try that. It seems neither Canon nor Nikon made a 67mm close-up lens.

I see Marumi makes a 67mm Apochromat 200 (5+) and 330 (3+) close up lens.

I also ran across at Canon 240 C-8 Close-Up Lens. It is listed a being for movie cameras. I wonder if it will work on a still camera.

I find the apochromatic close-up lease are usually good.

Mick

See my portfolio.

G