Join us in our upcoming webinar "The Art of Bird Photography" featuring Arthur Morris, June 15th 04:00 PM EDT >>> More information

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Nikon TradeUP Experience

mealsop mealsop

Is from: Norton, US
35 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mealsop Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2017
Thu 25-Feb-21 03:39 PM
Some notes regarding the Z II Nikon (US) TradeUp experience for what it is worth.

Traded in a Z 6 for a Z 6II and a Z 7 for a Z 7II

Z 6II
— ordered: 01/19/2021
— received: 02/24/2021
— time between: 36 days

Z 7II
— ordered: 01/21/2021
— received: 02/22/2021
— time between: 32 days

These are made in Thailand. The body is noticeably thicker, especially the hand grip, finger tips do not press as hard against the camera body next to the function buttons as with the Z 6/7. The monitor is slightly easier to pull out for angled views. A blue sky test showed both sensors to be perfect.

The firmware in both needed today's release of version 1.10. The BIN filename is different from the previous Z bodies: Z7_2_0110_01.bin and Z6_2_0110_01.bin. Nikon has built into the filename some additional digits. The old MS DOS 8.3 format doesn't provide a lot of space for separating files in a human readable format.

On an XQD card that had been in and out of the camera numerous times the Z 7II threw an error when that card with the new firmware was seated in its slot, before the door was closed …and yes, the camera was switched off. The error indicated the Z 7II could not read the card, unfortunately I didn't copy the exact wording of the error message. There was no error message after removing and reinstalling the card and none in the many times since that card has been pulled and replaced to move files to the computer.

The Z 7II does not turn the camera off and leave it off after installing the new firmware. Instead it restarts the camera as if the switch had just been turned on.

The Z 6II does turn off the camera after the installation is complete which leaves the On/Off switch in the On position. Cycling the switch turns the Z 6II on as expected.

The RRS BZ7 B dovetail baseplate purchased for the Z 6/7 bodies fits the Z 6II / 7II bodies perfectly.

I have compared pictures of the Z 6/7 magnesium skeleton with the Z 6II/7II skeleton and they are different but not by a lot, nothing that indicates a difference in strength or durability. The extra thickness for the second battery (and the second processor?) has been added to the back of the camera.

Small thing: The plastic cover for the EN-EL15c that came with the Z 6II had cracks in the end but the battery did not appear to be damaged. The accessory compartment allows the contents to shift about during transit. Nikon's packaging does not seem to be as good as it once was.

The EN-EL15c batteries took rather a long time to charge the first time.

One other thing: The Z 7II comes with the EH-7P power supply but the Z 6II does not. Both include the MH-25a charger, which is what I use. According to the manual the EH-7P will power the Z II bodies if a battery is installed and the USB power delivery option in the Setup menu is Enabled, opening the option for very long periods of operation.

Lastly the Auto-area AF face/eye detection option has been removed from the Custom Settings menu (a4) and relocated in the i Menu with the AF-area mode selection, a much better arrangement.

Mark

MEMcD MEMcD

Is from: US
48054 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon TradeUP Experience" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 28-Feb-21 01:58 AM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Best Regards,
Marty
See my portfolio.

mma2 mma2

Is from: Sacramento, US
77 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon TradeUP Experience" | In response to Reply # 0

mma2 Registered since 23rd Mar 2016
Sun 28-Feb-21 11:12 AM
>On an XQD card that had been in and out of the camera numerous
>times the Z 7II threw an error when that card with the new
>firmware was seated in its slot, before the door was closed
>…and yes, the camera was switched off. The error indicated
>the Z 7II could not read the card, unfortunately I didn't copy
>the exact wording of the error message. There was no error
>message after removing and reinstalling the card and none in
>the many times since that card has been pulled and replaced to
>move files to the computer.
>
>The Z 7II does not turn the camera off and leave it off after
>installing the new firmware. Instead it restarts the camera as
>if the switch had just been turned on.

I have a total of six Sony G XQDs used with my former Z7. With my new Z7ii, one of them gave a similar error message to the one described above by the OP. The camera would not let me use or format this XQD (the rest gave no problems). I then examined this problem XQD using my Win-10 PC and a XQD reader, Win-10 indicated errors on the card that needed "repair." After allowing Win-10 to fix the errors and re-formatting via Win-10, I re-inserted it into my Z7ii. No error message and the camera formatted it properly. I've since used this XQD and have had no subsequent issues.

Upon updating my Z7ii firmware to 1.10, my camera does shut off properly after finishing the update and does not turn back on by itself.

Hope that my experience may be useful.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mealsop mealsop

Is from: Norton, US
35 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon TradeUP Experience" | In response to Reply # 2

mealsop Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2017
Sun 28-Feb-21 01:11 PM
Thanks for the response…

It sounds like your card had a bad sector that needed to be mapped-out, which Win-10 should have easily fixed. So far, after many removal/reinstall operations the XQD card that raised error message on my Z 7II has not had a repeat. For the Z 7II I'm using the newer Sony 120GB cards, the older Sony 128GB XQD cards are used with a Z 6II and a Z 6.

Curious about the firmware update I ran the update two more times, with the same result each time. The first time I was distracted for a few minutes and I never saw the "Update completed. Turn camera off." message. On the subsequent reinstalls I did today I did see the message but did not immediately turn the camera off. After 20 seconds (I measured the time) the above message disappeared, the monitor went black, the shutter actuated (it makes a distinctive sound), then the camera booted up (turned on) and was ready to shoot pictures.

Next question: Did all the other Z bodies behave the same way and I just never noticed. The answer is yes. I've reinstalled the latest firmware on a Z 7II, a Z 6II, a Z 6 and a Z 50. In all cases, if the camera is not turned off when the "Update completed." message appears the camera waits 20 seconds then turns the monitor off, actuates the shutter and reboots the camera so it is ready to shoot.

Mark

G