Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

DX lenses on Nikon Mirrorless camera z6ii

budd2628

Is from: US
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
budd2628 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2014
Mon 22-Feb-21 06:19 PM
If one uses the FTZ adapter with a half frame lens (such as Nikon AF-S DX 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6G VRII) on the new mirrorless z6ii, what will you get? Will it be distorted? Are megapizels reduced? Still get the 1.5 times equivalent zoom? or is it something one should not even consider?? Thank you for your input.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cug cug

Is from: Sunnyvale, US
104 posts

#1. "RE: DX lenses on Nikon Mirrorless camera z6ii" | In response to Reply # 0

cug Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2019
Mon 22-Feb-21 09:10 PM
You get a "circular" vignette around a normal middle – the lens is made to illuminate an APS-C sensor, so it'll illuminate a circle around a ~16mm x 12mm (roughly) patch in the middle of your larger sensor.

No distortion, just less light or all the way black in the corners.
ericbowles ericbowles

Is from: Atlanta, US
15379 posts

#2. "RE: DX lenses on Nikon Mirrorless camera z6ii" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landsc... Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 23-Feb-21 07:53 AM
The Z cameras automatically crop to DX proportions, so you will see approximately the same image in the EVF as you would see on a DX DSLR. Assuming you have Vignette Control and Lens Distortion control turned On, you would also see a better view compared to through the viewfinder of a DSLR because it has been corrected. The only real difference is you have a smaller image with DX proportions - but through the EVF it would still fill the screen. On the Z6II that means an image around 10 megapixels. You would have the 1.5 crop factor.

With a DSLR, if you use a DX lens on a full frame camera, the viewfinder does not change so you see the darker corners that Guido described depending on your focal length. Wider focal lengths tend to vignette more - even a porthole effect, but many times as you zoom longer the vignette is reduced or eliminated. You don't have the option to view an uncropped image in the Z cameras - it is automatically cropped to DX proportions.

Whether you want to take that approach depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I'd consider it something you would use occasionally when you wanted a one lens solution and image quality was not critical. I don't think it is a substitute for a proper FX lens most of the time. The Z 24-70 f/4 is such a good lens I would not consider using the 18-200 instead of the 24-70 as my primary lens. If you want to use that lens, you might consider a Z50, but I'd still get the 16-50 lens that comes with the Z50 kit. It's a very tiny lens and better image quality than the 18-200. The 18-200 with FTZ is a bit bulky compared to alternatives.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Nikonians Team Moderator
My Gallery
Workshops and Private Instruction

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Rassie Rassie

Is from: Milton, CA
8264 posts

#3. "RE: DX lenses on Nikon Mirrorless camera z6ii" | In response to Reply # 0

Rassie Gold Member Awarded for his win at the Nikonians Best 2016 Photo Contest Ribbon awarded for his generous contribution to the 2019 Fundraising campaign Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Tue 23-Feb-21 10:22 AM
The Z cameras automatically recognize it's a DX lens and put themselves into DX mode, and this is seamless. You do end up with a 10Mp image so you lose a lot of pixels. That means you cannot print as large as the same image shot in full frame mode.

My Nikonians gallery

mklass mklass

Is from: Tacoma, US
12847 posts

#4. "RE: DX lenses on Nikon Mirrorless camera z6ii" | In response to Reply # 2

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, ... Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Ribbon awarded for his most generous donation in 2017 Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the 2017-2018 fundraising campaign Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Tue 23-Feb-21 11:49 AM
The trouble is, Nikon does not have a "convenience lens" for the Z DX, and has none in the plan. Right now, the closest they get is a proposed 18-140 DX Z, and that isn't close to 200mm.

And while the 24-70 f/4 is a nice lens, it also isn't anywhere close to 200mm. If you use it in DX Crop mode, it becomes a 36 to 105 lens, which is an odd focal length combination.

Anyway, if the OP is just wondering about using a DX lens on a full frame Z camera, it will have the same characteristics as if used on an FX DSLR. AS Eric notes, you also get a more useful view in the EVF.

Mick
"The difference between a professional photographer and other photographers is the pro doesn't show you the bad shots."

Web Site: http://www.mickklassphoto.com
My Nikonians Galleries: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/117796

See my portfolio.

G