Our new Virtual Exhibition, featuring all of the finalists and the winners of the Best of Nikonians 2020 Annual Photo Contest is now available for you to enjoy >>> more

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5
Vlad_IT Vlad_IT

Is from: Brooklyn, US
1489 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011
Mon 01-Feb-21 10:53 PM | edited Tue 02-Feb-21 08:46 PM by Vlad_IT
Hello, folks.

Just wondering for what activities you program your U1/2/3 settings, especially U3, which next to Manual mode on the dial. it makes sense to program U3 to Manual mode as well, and with one click of a dial easier to adjust some settings on a fly for similar activities. I usually shoot in Aperture priority mode, except events in Manual mode, especially with speedlights. I also use manual mode for fast actions, like car racing or BIF. Just would like to learn from more experienced photographers.

Best regards,
Vlad
Rassie Rassie

Is from: Milton, CA
8324 posts

#1. "RE: User settings" | In response to Reply # 0

Rassie Gold Member Awarded for his win at the Nikonians Best 2016 Photo Contest Ribbon awarded for his generous contribution to the 2019 Fundraising campaign Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Tue 02-Feb-21 05:27 PM
I always shoot in manual mode. I have U3 set up to apply subject tracking of moving subjects by default. Makes it easy to switch to subject tracking mode. I'm hoping Nikon will improve subject tracking on the Z cameras thru firmware soon because right now it's only good for nearby, slow-moving subjects.

My Nikonians gallery

wonner wonner

Is from: US
27 posts

#2. "RE: User settings" | In response to Reply # 0

wonner Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2020
Tue 02-Feb-21 06:09 PM
I can’t add much to the conversation.

As someone who fondly recalls the beautiful simplicity of the Nikon F cameras, I don’t use any custom settings or controls.

I begrudgingly go through the menus once when I get the camera, then put it in Manual and shoot RAW.

Maybe it’s age, but the less I have to think about anything other than what is in front of the lens, the better off I am.

I’m not saying others don’t have their own wants and desires, just my way of dealing with whole lot of tech that serves me no purpose.

W

“There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” ― Ansel Adams

rwbates53

Is from: Longmont, US
170 posts

#3. "RE: User settings" | In response to Reply # 2

rwbates53 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2014
Tue 02-Feb-21 08:52 PM
I have setup the user settings U1-U3 one for Landscape one for portrait and one for action. saves a ton of time seeing that there are a lot of different settings for each situation. This is one of my favorite things about this camera.

Rick

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RightOnPhotography RightOnPhotography

Is from: Québec, CA
6 posts

#4. "RE: User settings" | In response to Reply # 0

RightOnPhotography Registered since 16th Dec 2019
Sun 21-Feb-21 06:57 PM
Settings on my Z6 and Z7:

U1 - Manual, 1/125" F5.6, Auto ISO, AF-S, single point AF - landscapes, general photography
U2 - Manual, 1/60" F4, ISO 64, AF-C, Auto Area eye AF - portraits
U3 - Manual, 1/1250", F5.6, Auto ISO, AF-C, Dynamic AF - birds

Always RAW, lossless compressed, 14 bits.

Efraim
Quebec City, Canada
Nikon Z6, Nikon Z7, Nikon Z50, Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8 G ED VRII, Nikkor Z 24-70 f/4 S, Nikkor Z 50 f/1.8 S, Nikkor Z 24-200 f4-6.3,
Nikkor AF-P 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor AF-P 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6.
Web: http://www.rightonphotography.com

ericbowles ericbowles

Is from: Atlanta, US
15389 posts

#5. "RE: User settings" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landsc... Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 22-Feb-21 05:02 PM
I'm still working though whether I want to use the User settings, but I'll outline my thought process.

If I'm going to have a User setting, it needs to involve at least a half dozen changes covering the iMenu, Playback choices, and AF modes that are visible. If the change is just selecting a focus mode and changing exposure, it does not need a different menu.

U1 - Wildlife - Silent shutter, Fn1 button to Zoom to 100%, AF area does not include Face or Eye Detect options or pinpoint, ISO starts at ISO 400, Auto ISO maintains 1/2000 sec with a peak of ISO 6400, iMenu includes basic flash, daylight WB, High Extended frame rate

U2 - Astrophotography - Leaves out Animal and Eye Face AF modes, ISO starts at 2400 - not Auto, EVF only - no LCD, Brightness reduced, no Flash assist, AF-S Single AF or Pinpoint, single frame

U3 - Portraits and events - Set up for flash in iMenu, Electronic but not Silent shutter, Eye Detect but no animal eye, Wide Small but not Wide large, Single frame, Auto WB, Exposure Comp -1.0 with flash comp + 1.0

I'm not sure whether these will be the final versions, but you get the idea. My main setup will be similar to a Landscape mode, so I would not make changes for that situation. The iMenu settings are going to be different but easy to set.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Nikonians Team Moderator
My Gallery
Workshops and Private Instruction

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

pixures pixures

1283 posts

#6. "RE: User settings" | In response to Reply # 0

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009
Tue 23-Feb-21 11:29 AM
This topic might be a good place to ask a question about user settings. Like others, I have save settings in U1, U2, U3 for things like Landscape, Action, and Macro respectively. No one saved configuration is perfect and static for each respective U1, U2, U3. When using a U setting, I may alter the i-menu or shooting menu for the conditions. If my camera times out, or if I power down intentionally, when I resume shooting, the U setting is returned to the last saved value. I

Has anyone found an option to allow the camera, upon awakening, to use the settings that were active at the time of the power down, similar to the way the A, M P, mode would work. Stated a little differently, I would like to have the camera awake with last used Ux settings, or return to the last explicit Save Userx Setting that I did based on a preference?

Bill N

www.images-captured.com
MyGalleries

ericbowles ericbowles

Is from: Atlanta, US
15389 posts

#7. "RE: User settings" | In response to Reply # 6

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landsc... Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 23-Feb-21 11:47 AM
No - the design is to return the camera to the last saved U settings. This was a request from a number of users. They wanted to be able to pick up the camera, choose a U Setting, and know what the settings were going to be.

The thing to do to retain changes is to simply use Sleep mode instead of turning off the camera. Battery life in Sleep mode is quite good, so if you want to keep the settings, they will normally be fine for an entire day.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Nikonians Team Moderator
My Gallery
Workshops and Private Instruction

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

pixures pixures

1283 posts

#8. "RE: User settings" | In response to Reply # 7

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009
Tue 23-Feb-21 12:24 PM
Hi Eric,

I understand the intent of the current behavior. Having the option to revive the camera with last used or last saved per user dynamic choice would, IMHO, be an easier firmware addition and give the user the both options.

For my next outing, I will look at my sleep settings and other timers. Thanks.

Bill N

www.images-captured.com
MyGalleries

mealsop mealsop

Is from: Norton, US
30 posts

#9. "RE: User settings" | In response to Reply # 0

mealsop Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2017
Sun 28-Feb-21 08:46 PM
I found the behavior of the U1 / U2 / U3 perplexing when I started using my first Z 6. So I tried every possible way to modify the settings of these User modes, then I posted an article on my web site documenting my findings.

For one thing I found it is possible to make permanent changes to a single U setting without recreating the entire set of settings in one of the MASP modes and saving it to the U mode.

In case anyone is interested the article is here…
The Light-Tight Box — Understanding U1, U2, U3

I should do another article looking at the way the U modes can help the Z 50 users since the Z 50 does not have the option to save settings to a BIN file ...and the Z 50 only has two U modes to work with.

Mark

G