Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lenses

critidoc

Is from: Kingsville, US
421 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
critidoc Silver Member Awarded for his win at the Best of Nikonians 2016 Photo Contest Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007
Sat 16-Jan-21 08:28 AM
my sb500, sp910, and sb5000 work great with the z lenses but do not work with the FTZ and my 500pf and 600F4 VR FL. Anyone else having this issue. Yes the FTZ has been updated to the latest software, so have the lenses and cameras. I have notified nikon on this and suspect it is a firmware issue with either the flashes bodies or FTZ. Flashes work fine on my D6. Lenses work fine on the D6 and both zII bodies.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

luckyphoto luckyphoto

Is from: Port Charlotte, US
1590 posts

#1. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 0

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010
Sat 16-Jan-21 09:54 AM
Check to see if you have silent shutter turned on. Speedlights are disabled when using silent shutter. It's probably a setting in your camera. You could test it out by doing a reset to factory default and trying that.

Larry

A comment on digital photography - "Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Please Visit MY WEBSITE if you would like to see examples of my photography.

MEMcD MEMcD

Is from: US
47523 posts

#2. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 17-Jan-21 06:39 PM
Hi Peter,

Verify that you don't have Flash turned Off in the Flash Mode Menu.

Best Regards,
Marty
See my portfolio.

critidoc

421 posts

#3. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 2

critidoc Silver Member Awarded for his win at the Best of Nikonians 2016 Photo Contest Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007
Mon 18-Jan-21 06:17 AM
flash was turned on

ericbowles ericbowles

Is from: Atlanta, US
15379 posts

#4. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 3

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landsc... Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 18-Jan-21 06:39 AM
I may have missed it. Is Silent Shutter turned off - you need to use Mechanical or Electronic - but not Silent.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Nikonians Team Moderator
My Gallery
Workshops and Private Instruction

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

critidoc

421 posts

#5. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 18-Jan-21 07:00 AM
silent shutter was off

cej_in_nc

234 posts

#6. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 0

cej_in_nc Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2009
Mon 18-Jan-21 09:35 AM
Do other F-mount lenses fail, or just these two?
MEMcD MEMcD

47523 posts

#7. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 3

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 18-Jan-21 02:46 PM
Hi Peter,

By: On, do you mean Front Curtain Sync?

Best Regards,
Marty
See my portfolio.

critidoc

421 posts

#8. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 4

Tue 19-Jan-21 06:18 AM
silent shutter was off

critidoc

421 posts

#9. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 7

Tue 19-Jan-21 06:18 AM
flash was turned on, yes was using front curtain sync.

critidoc

421 posts

#10. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 6

Tue 19-Jan-21 06:19 AM
also 70-2000 f2.8 Fl version

luckyphoto luckyphoto

Is from: Port Charlotte, US
1590 posts

#11. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 10

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010
Wed 20-Jan-21 09:48 AM
One final thing you might consider is setting the camera back to factory default settings - Camera Setup -> Reset all settings.

If you flash still doesn't work, you can pretty much rule out camera settings as an issue.

Larry

A comment on digital photography - "Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Please Visit MY WEBSITE if you would like to see examples of my photography.

cej_in_nc

234 posts

#12. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 10

cej_in_nc Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2009
Wed 20-Jan-21 10:25 AM
Prime suspect appears to be FTZ adapter. Perhaps cleaning FTZ contacts?
MEMcD MEMcD

47523 posts

#13. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 12

Wed 20-Jan-21 01:09 PM
Hi Charles,

When all else fails. using DeoxIT Gold to clean the electrical contacts is an excellent suggestion!

Best Regards,
Marty
See my portfolio.

GBaylis GBaylis

Is from: Oakford, Devon, UK
2218 posts

#14. "RE: Flashes not working on z6II or 7II with Fmount lens" | In response to Reply # 0

GBaylis Team Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his generous and continuous sharing of his high level skills with the Nikonians ... Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Articles. Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2017 Ribbon awarded for his win at the Best of Nikonians 2107 Annual Photo Contest Winner of the Best of Nikonians Images 2018 Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 12th Sep 2012
Sat 23-Jan-21 01:46 PM
My 500PF works OK with my Z7. Make sure that you're not set to Release Mode H+ which also disables the flash.

When you look at the flash indicator on either screen does it show as disabled?

Geoff.

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my personal website: www.geoffbaylisphotography.co.uk
See my portfolio.

G