Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

D810 to Mirrorless

eliot3b4

Is from: Eliot, US
144 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
eliot3b4 Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008
Tue 12-Jan-21 09:52 AM | edited Tue 12-Jan-21 09:53 AM by eliot3b4
I have enjoyed the Nikon D810. But alas, as I get older the weight of the camera is a bit of
a drag. I am thinking of moving into a mirrorless camera. I still would like to full frame camera.

So the question is which camera to purchase? Z6, Z7? Thoughts? I would like to be able to ride my bike with my backpack on, and e able to stop and take a couple of photos. I also would like to do some hiking with the same thought.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

ericbowles ericbowles

Is from: Atlanta, US
15196 posts

#1. "RE: D810 to Mirrorless" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landsc... Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art a Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 12-Jan-21 11:32 AM
You certainly would not go wrong with a Z6/Z7 or the later Z6II/Z7II. They are terrific cameras.

As Nikon has approached these cameras, it's not just about light weight. You can choose light weight lenses, but it's more about superior optical designs. Every lens for the Z system has outperformed expectations, and generally they are as good or better than the F-mount alternatives from any company. But some of the new lenses are bigger and heavier.

I have a light kit - Z6 or Z7II body along with the f/4 lenses - the 14-30 f/4 and 24-70 f/4. The lenses are very good - especially toward the corners. And these lenses are relatively small and light. I think they are perfect for your needs.

You can still use the FTZ and an F-mount lens if you need something else. For example, you might choose the 300 PF or something similar.

If you really want a light kit, you can get the APS-C Z lenses typically paired with the Z50. They are small and cheap, with pretty good quality even in DX crop mode.

You can also keep an eye on the roadmap. There are two pancake lenses on the roadmap - really tiny lenses for a light kit.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Nikonians Team Moderator
My Gallery
Workshops and Private Instruction

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

gbheron gbheron

Is from: Cedar Falls, US
285 posts

#2. "RE: D810 to Mirrorless" | In response to Reply # 0

gbheron Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007
Tue 12-Jan-21 11:42 AM
Good morning, Jean,

I know what you mean about noticing the weight as you grow older! I often bike with camera gear, and now usually opt for carrying mirrorless equipment. On days I feel more energetic, I will carry my Z7; other days, I will take a Z50. If I am extra ambitious, I will wear a backpack or sling pack with an extra lens or two. When it is a hot summer day, I usually limit my equipment to a mirrorless body with the normal range kit lens and a compact binocular (I am a birding enthusiast). Good luck in your choice!

Happy Nikon shooting,
Randy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

eliot3b4

144 posts

#3. "Thoughts on selling D810 and buying Z5" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 12-Jan-21 12:47 PM
Thank you. will hav to look at the newer lenses.

eliot3b4

144 posts

#4. "RE: D810 to Mirrorless" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 12-Jan-21 12:48 PM
Thank you!

pixures pixures

Is from: US
1191 posts

#5. "RE: D810 to Mirrorless" | In response to Reply # 0

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009
Tue 12-Jan-21 07:36 PM
Adding to Eric's "kit" which I also use, you can add some reach with the relatively lightweight 70-300 and the FTZ. That lens is not up to the level of my 70-200 F2.8 S, but for the weight and size it earns a place in the backpack when I hike or do lengthy walkarounds.

Bill N

www.images-captured.com
MyGalleries

DaveSoderlund DaveSoderlund

Is from: Reno, US
1591 posts

#6. "RE: D810 to Mirrorless" | In response to Reply # 0

DaveSoderlund Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 29th May 2010
Wed 13-Jan-21 11:35 AM
I made the move from a D850 to a Z6 last fall. My experience, and the rationale behind my decisions, may be relevant to your thought process.

First, the camera decision. I shot the D850 for about three years and finally came to two realizations: (1) I never really grew comfortable with the bulk and weight of the body (having come from a D750), and (2) I took very little advantage of the high resolution 46MP sensor. Since I was mostly very satisfied with the results I got with my D750, I decided to go with a Z6 rather than a Z7, reasoning that the ~$1000 difference in price would get me started on a set of Z lenses. I decided on the Z6 rather than the Z6ii because the main improvements in the second generation Z bodies (improved AF for action, two card slots, vertical grip) were not important to me. In the end, I was able to get a lightly-used Z6 body at a great price. (As an aside, a new Z6 body -- currently selling for $1600 -- is a good deal. It's not clear, however, how long the Z6 will be available. The Nikon plant in Sendai, Japan where it was made, is not longer doing camera assembly and there is no indication that Z6//7 production with move to Thailand, where the Z6/7ii cameras are made.)

Second, the lens decision. The 24-120mm f/4 was my main lens on the D750 and D850, so I was looking to replicate that function in a Z lens. Personally, I find 70mm on the long end of a main zoom to be limiting (spoiled by the 24-120 and before that the equivalent 16-80 on DX), so I initially avoided the Z 24-70 f/4. Reviews of the Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 suggested that its performance is as good if not better than the F mount 24-120 in their shared focal length range, so I bought one despite it being a superzoom and not being an "S line" lens. I have been pleasantly surprised by this lens! If you are looking for a broadly capable Z system for biking/hiking, I think a Z6 body plus the 24-200 is hard to beat for both value and flexibility. Ironically, just this week I bought a used Z 24-70mm f/4 in mint condition, not because I'm unhappy with the 24-200 but because the 24-70 is the midrange Z zoom that seems to perform best (no hotspot problems) in IR, and I can envision an IR-converted Z body in my future. There are a LOT of basically new 24-70 f/4 lenses available for approximately half of list price (or even less) right now because people who want the Z6ii or Z7ii need to buy the camera body with this lens as a kit (Nikon is not currently shipping these bodies alone) and some of them do not want or already own the 24-70 f/4. If 70mm at the long end of a main zoom does not hinder you, this lens (either as part of a kit or purchased used) is a no-brainer.

My three lens kit currently includes a Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 or Nikon 20mm f/1.8 G on the wide end and the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 AF-P at the long end, all of which are F mount lenses and require the FTZ adapter. When I went to Death Valley in November I took all of these lenses, but when I hiking I typically only carried one of the wide lenses and left the 70-300 behind due to the reach of the 24-200. This reinforced for me the value of the 24-200 lens when you want to minimize the amount of gear you carry and still have access to a wide range of focal lengths.

Eventually I will probably pick up the Z 14-30mm f/4 and the Z 20mm f/1.8. I am also interested in the upcoming Z 24-105 as a more direct replacement for my trusty F-mount 24-120, but I need to say that the performance so far of the 24-200, at least for the kind of photography I do, means that I won't automatically jump on the 24-105 when it comes out.

I hope this long-winded discussion helps you sort out your own thoughts.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

G