Learn more about the Nikon Z9 in this webinar with NPS Tech Rep Mark Cruz from Nikon >>> See the video

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

An equivalent to Photoshop

silverhair2048 silverhair2048

Is from: Houston, US
308 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
silverhair2048 Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2015
Tue 14-Sep-21 11:53 PM
I purchased a disc of Photoshop CS6 some time ago. Recently I pulled it out and loaded it into my current desktop. However, it appears that I will not be able to use it. So I am seeking an equivalent bundle to Photoshop that won't cost me a fortune. I have never used post-processing software so that is an issue too. It needs to be easy to understand.

Does such a thing exist?
Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Strada_Facendo Strada_Facendo

Is from: Nelly Bay, AU
1062 posts

#1. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 0

Strada_Facendo Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jun 2017
Wed 15-Sep-21 01:02 AM
Adobe Photoshop Elements is what it sounds like: a cut down Photoshop. Although it is cut down it is very far from crippled - though it does emphasise the one-click auto-corrections and tricks for making birthday cards and such like. It is very easy to use.

Nikon's own raw conversion and editing software is free, so you can't beat it on that score. You can beat it on several other scores, however. But if you don't want to edit heavily, and mostly just adjust brightness and contrast and crop and sharpen, it is quite good. It has the advantage that its raw conversion matches the camera's LCD.

Affinity is another alternative worth looking at. It has more capability than PS Elements - though not the tricks - but it is not as easy to use. Its biggest drawback is that it has no catalog capability and you cannot do a round-trip edit.

"I don't want to show things, but to give people the desire to see." Agnes Varda

Mithel Mithel

Is from: Savage, US
546 posts

#2. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 0

Mithel Registered since 12th Mar 2017
Wed 15-Sep-21 03:54 PM
I'd highly recommend Affinity Photo as a superior alternative to Photoshop. Obviously it's far less expensive but it's also (in my opinion) easier to use and superior (or at least equivalent) in features. Naturally all software tends to leapfrog each other at any one moment one may have a superior feature to the other, but Affinity has a phenomenal track record of improvements and free updates for YEARS.

"Easy to understand" is not simple. Affinity has many free short tutorials to teach individual features. It's far easier to understand and use (again in my opinion) but it is very, very sophisticated and thus by no means "easy" to learn every feature.

elec164 elec164

Is from: US
5088 posts

#3. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 0

elec164 Silver Member Ribbon awarded because of his contribution to the community in addition to his expertise  Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Thu 16-Sep-21 07:36 AM
I feel your pain. I had a perpetual license of CS 6 and when Apple went full 64-bit it became unusable. Apparently while CS6 was reported as being 64-bit there are apparently some 32-bit bits of code that prevent it from running.

Currently I use DxOPhotoLab 4 as my raw developer and Affinity Photo as a pixel editor. I don't care much for Affinity Photo's raw development module and much prefer to develop my raw files in DxO PhotoLab 4 and use Affinity Photo for printing pixel editing when needed and for printing for I find DxO PhotoLab 4's printing capabilities quite lacking.

Pete

Ineluki Ineluki

Is from: Nuremberg, DE
8935 posts

#4. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 1

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011
Thu 16-Sep-21 08:29 AM
esantos esantos

Is from: McAllen, US
15276 posts

#5. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 0

esantos Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing ... Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been ex... Winner of the Best of Nikonians Images 2018 Annual Photo Contest Registered since 10th Nov 2002
Thu 16-Sep-21 08:36 AM
Jerry,

Everyone has their own level of tolerance for expense versus value, but Photoshop plus Lightroom is not expensive by any standard. You can subscribe (I know some people hate the subscription model for software) for $9,99/month. Check it out here:

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html?plan=individual&filter=photography

BTW, I have been a subscriber for years, ever since Adobe changed to the subscription model and I have to say it is far superior to the old user license model. You get constant updates and patches, and when new versions come out you get them instantaneously. You can't beat that for $120 a year.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography
Get my new e-Book "Churches of Texas"

See my portfolio.

308 posts

#6. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 16-Sep-21 09:14 AM
Would NX Studio be a viable option to Photoshop? From what I recall of trying to use Photoshop before my copy was cancelled it was pretty hard to comprehend for me. I am far from being very computer smart. I barely know how to turn one on.
Jerry

Ineluki Ineluki

Is from: Nuremberg, DE
8935 posts

#7. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 6

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011
Thu 16-Sep-21 09:38 AM | edited Thu 16-Sep-21 10:07 AM by Ineluki
elec164 elec164

5088 posts

#8. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 6

elec164 Silver Member Ribbon awarded because of his contribution to the community in addition to his expertise  Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Thu 16-Sep-21 11:27 AM | edited Thu 16-Sep-21 11:31 AM by elec164
>Would NX Studio be a viable option to Photoshop?

The significant difference is Photoshop is a pixel editor with raw development capabilities whereas NX Studio is a raw developer with limited pixel editing capabilities.

If you are only making minimal adjustments (exposure, curves, white balance, etc.) then NX Studio will do just fine. If you do extensive pixel editing (cloning, layering, etc) then NX Studio is totally incapable.

So it depends on what you were using PS for.

edited to add:
As Ernesto points out, if you are not adverse to the subscription model, then a subscription to Photoshop/LR is a good route to take.

Pete

308 posts

#9. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 16-Sep-21 11:32 AM
Perhaps I should explain that I have never done any type of photo manipulation. So my concern is ease of use and low cost. As my experience grows then I'll be concerned with the software capabilities.
Jerry

elec164 elec164

5088 posts

#10. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 16-Sep-21 03:59 PM
>Perhaps I should explain that I have never done any type of
>photo manipulation. So my concern is ease of use and low
>cost.

Well NX Studio is free so you can't get any lower cost than that.

And learning to use it's palette of tools would be sort of directly translatable to more capable software.

If you are starting from scratch it's not a bad place to start. As already mentioned with raw files it allows you to see how the Picture Controls would affect the capture. It's not that difficult to learn and for me was rather intuitive. But then again I already had a good foundation in photo editing.

Pete

Strada_Facendo Strada_Facendo

Is from: Nelly Bay, AU
1062 posts

#11. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 9

Strada_Facendo Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jun 2017
Sat 18-Sep-21 07:16 PM
It depends what you mean by "photo manipulation". Most people, when they hear that, think of changes to the content of the photograph - replacing a boring sky with a spectacular sunset, removing a person in the background, stitching images together to make a panorama, etc. If that is what you want, Nikon software will not do it.

The easiest to use - by far - software that will allow you to edit image content is Photoshop Elements.

If you just want to do basic adjustments - increase overall brightness, or pull up the shadows, or crop the edges, or remove dust spots, Nikon software is fine.

One thing to know about NX-D is that it is "non-destructive". That means the program does not change the image file, it stores instructions about how to create the edited image from the original. That is great, because it means you can come back later and re-do the editing if you change your mind. The downside is that if you make a lot of changes the program has to make them all, all over again, every time you look at the image, so the process can get slow.

"I don't want to show things, but to give people the desire to see." Agnes Varda

robsb robsb

Is from: Napa, US
16720 posts

#12. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous effor... Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2017 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Fri 14-Jan-22 02:18 AM
Perhaps I am missing something, as I have a licensed version of CS6 runni g on Window11 a well as PS2022 without issue.You can use the free Nikon SW or try On 1 SW, easy to use and close to Photoshp but cheaper. Yocan buy a licensed copy and keep it or upgrade every year.it includes an amazing noise reduction AI package, better than anything out there.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

AA1PR AA1PR

Is from: Rutland, US
79 posts

#13. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 0

AA1PR Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2021
Fri 14-Jan-22 09:48 AM | edited Fri 14-Jan-22 09:49 AM by AA1PR
Im late to the question
I tried the NX program & didnt care for it

I use raw therapee and them CS5
you can use gimp as a plugin for raw therapee or maybe its the other way around, anyways
however I know a lot of my friends use gimp as well
I tried darktable but couldnt get pass its non intuitive layout

for really easy editing (learning process) with tools you might want to try photoscape X

good luck

The world is a beautiful place through the lens of a Nikon

my gallery https://flash.nikonians.org/mr1sy6pu
hank970 hank970

Is from: Fruita, US
1454 posts

#14. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 0

hank970 Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2015
Fri 14-Jan-22 10:36 AM | edited Fri 14-Jan-22 10:37 AM by hank970
I'll affirm Affinity Photo as a good, relatively inexpensive alternative (about $60 for a perennial license, including periodic free updates), though I use it mostly for stacking and healing. I use Lightroom 6 for other touchups. I don't and wouldn't allow LR6 or any other post-processing software to catalog my photo files. I have my own system, just as I do for documents.

Please don't let a total lack of experience discourage you from delving into post-processing. Familiarizing yourself with a new software is a bit like learning to navigate in a strange city. You learn the basic routes first. Then, as your confidence grows, you gradually begin to explore various side-streets.

And fear not: post-processing is a non-destructive process. You'll always have your original image (preferably RAW) to work with if you're not satisfied with an early attempt and wish to start over.

aolander aolander

Is from: Nevis, US
5273 posts

#15. "RE: An equivalent to Photoshop" | In response to Reply # 14

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006
Sat 15-Jan-22 08:40 AM
"I don't and wouldn't allow LR6 or any other post-processing software to catalog my photo files."

It doesn't. LR uses whatever filing/cataloging system you have set up.

Alan

G