SilverFast 6.5/6.6 minimal system configuration:
- Windows XP, Windows 2000: 1 GB RAM memory, at least 2 GB free space on hard disk drive
- Macintosh OS X 10.3.9 or later: 1 GB RAM, at least 2 GB free on HDD
SilverFast 6.5/6.6 recommended system configuration:
- Windows 7, Windows Vista 32 with service pack 1, XP with SP 3 or later, Windows 2000 with SP 4, 2+ GB RAM memory, at least 2 GB free space on HDD
- Macintosh OS X 10.3.9 or later, 2+ GB RAM, at least 2 GB free on HDD
SilverFast 6.0-6.4 minimal system configuration:
- Windows XP, Windows 2000: 256 MB RAM memory, 500 MB free space on hard disk drive
- Windows 98SE, ME: 128 MB RAM, 500 MB free on HDD
- Macintosh OS X 10.1.5 or later: 256 MB RAM, 500 MB free on HDD
- Mac OS 9.2.2: 128 MB RAM, 500 MB free on HDD (Mac OS 9 Updates)
SilverFast 6.0-6.4 recommend system configuration:
- Windows XP with service pack 2 or later, Windows 2000 with SP 4, 512-2048 MB RAM memory, at least 2 GB free space on hard disk drive
- Macintosh OS X 10.2.8 or later, 512-2048 MB RAM, at least 2 GB free on HDD
The requirements given above are generic! Please check
for your specific SilverFast product and imaging hardware (scanner, digital camera), if your operating system, scanner connection, or special hardware feature (e.g. ICE, transmission unit, etc.) is supported.
Using Windows it is necessary to use the appropriate ASPI layer driver
. Mac OS X Panther (10.3) and Tiger (10.4) don't have an as good SCSI support as OS X 10.2.8 (Jaguar) or OS 9.2.2 do: Some SCSI controller cards (e.g. from Adaptec) might not work
(/work correctly) with 10.3/4. Recent Mac models feature PCI-X slots, and older controller cards cannot be used in these. Furthermore, firewire-to-SCSI converters might not always provide stable communication.
SilverFast can be started via the "SF_Launcher" as a stand-alone scanning application. A separate graphics manipulation programme isn't mandatory. Scans can be saved e.g. as JPEG or TIFF files and then loaded into your graphics app of choice for further image editing.
SilverFast can be installed as a Photoshop plug-in, TWAIN plug-in, or both. However, there isn't a TWAIN variant available for all supported operating systems.
The SilverFast Photoshop plug-in will work with Photoshop versions ranging from 5.5 up to CS4, and all versions of Photoshop Elements. It cannot be used together with Corel Painter.
The TWAIN plug-in variant offers to scan directly from a TWAIN compatible application (e.g. Adobe Acrobat 4 and 5, JASC Paintshop Pro 8.10 or later, Corel PhotoPaint 10, GIMP 2.0 or later, IrfanView, etc.). Not all graphics and OCR programmes are sufficiently TWAIN compatible and might cause trouble (e.g. OmniPage, Ulead PhotoImpact 10 with Microtek drivers).