Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #967
View in linear mode

Subject: "M42 Orion Nebula" Previous topic | Next topic
RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Tue 16-Jul-13 05:29 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"M42 Orion Nebula"

Sunnyvale, US

I captured this image some time ago, but I recently re-processed it with Pixinsight and it came out better. Taken with an Orion 8" R-C scope and an QHY-8 one-shot color CCD camera. This is a stack of 66 subexposures of 6 minutes captured over two nights.

Thanks for looking,
Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: M42 Orion Nebula
lastdaylight Gold Member
19th Jul 2013
RABaker
19th Jul 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
RABaker
22nd Jul 2013
RABaker
23rd Jul 2013
lastdaylight Gold Member
26th Jul 2013
RABaker
31st Jul 2013
lastdaylight Gold Member
31st Jul 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
01st Aug 2013
RABaker
02nd Aug 2013

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Fri 19-Jul-13 03:22 AM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: M42 Orion Nebula"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

That is certainly interesting processing, with a beautiful result. Definitely hang it on the wall!

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Fri 19-Jul-13 05:19 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: M42 Orion Nebula"
In response to Reply # 1

Sunnyvale, US

Thanks Mark. Actually the image shown here is sharper and more contrasty than it was on my computer. I don't know why that happened, but I'm not sure I like it as well. I didn't do anything but resize my TIFF file and then save it as a JPEG to fit the image upload requirements - and, at least on my computer, the file did not gain sharpness or contract that I can detect here at home. 'Tis a mystery...

Thanks again,
Richard

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 22-Jul-13 07:34 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: M42 Orion Nebula"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Great image! Where an image looks different in a browser, usually the color profile is to blame. You very likely processed in Adobe RGB or some other color profile other than sRGB. All or most browsers only support sRGB.

my Nikonians gallery.

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Mon 22-Jul-13 10:20 PM
#4. "RE: M42 Orion Nebula"
In response to Reply # 3

Sunnyvale, US

Neil,

Thanks for the kind comment on the image.

You are right that I normally process in Photoshop in the Adobe RGB color space, but I *think* I converted to sRGB when I saved the smaller file. I will have to boot up my main computer and check what I did. Thanks for mentioning this point. Always learning...

Richard

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Tue 23-Jul-13 04:56 AM
#5. "RE: M42 Orion Nebula"
In response to Reply # 4

Sunnyvale, US

Update...

I uploaded the wrong image. The one here is one I had processes somewhat differently but the names of the two files were so similar I picked the wrong one to upload. Oh well... Another senior moment. I like this one, but I think I over-processed it a bit and it looks a bit artificial to me. Live and learn. The file I intended to show isn't quite as artificial and harsh looking (to me) - just a bit softer.

I will try to be more careful in the future.

Thanks,
Richard

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Fri 26-Jul-13 01:51 AM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: M42 Orion Nebula"
In response to Reply # 5

Dallas, US

So, come on, let's see the one you like better...

Mark Smith

My Nikonians Gallery

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Wed 31-Jul-13 08:50 PM
#7. "RE: M42 Orion Nebula"
In response to Reply # 6

Sunnyvale, US

Mark,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but I had some medical issues that consumed a lot of time over the past two weeks.

Thanks you for asking about the other image. I didn't upload it before because I didn't want to crowd the bandwidth with another image of the same object. But, since you asked, it is attached below. To me, it looks less processed and more "natural" (if that can be applied to an image of an object that we really can't see in this kind of detail without special image techniques). I guess it comes down to creating an image that satisfies our notion of what it may (or should?) look like.

Thanks for looking (again)
Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Wed 31-Jul-13 09:06 PM
#8. "RE: M42 Orion Nebula"
In response to Reply # 7

Dallas, US

Gotta say I like this one better, a bit less "over the top." This is very nice work, definitely "wall worthy." Sorry to hear about the medical issues - hope that's all better.

Best,

Mark Smith

My Nikonians Gallery

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 01-Aug-13 04:42 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: M42 Orion Nebula"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I think the first image is more natural because it better illustrates the Trapezium, which is very obvious in a scope view but often lost (blown out) in very deep images.

As I understand it, the Trapezium is the heart and soul of M42 since it provides most of the illumination?

Just my take on what is "natural". Both are very fine renditions worthy of a wall hanging

my Nikonians gallery.

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Fri 02-Aug-13 01:54 AM
#10. "RE: M42 Orion Nebula"
In response to Reply # 9

Sunnyvale, US

Neil,

You are definitely right that the Trapezium shows better in the first image, although even there the multiple stars are blended into a single bright object. If I really understood how to use Pixinsight I could probably have had it show better in the second image too - but I'm a novice with the software and understand only a small fraction of what it can do or how to do it; and there is no manual, only a few tutorials spread around. Now that you mentioned the Trapezium, I may have to go back and try processing the image again to see if I can get the "best of both worlds."

Thanks for the kind comments,
Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #967 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.