nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Astrophotography topic #956
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field" Previous topic | Next topic
rws67 Gold Member  Cedar Park, US  Nikonian since 21st Jun 2013 Fri 28-Jun-13 04:15 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field"

Here are the Lagoon Nebula and Trifid Nebula: One was with a Televue 101 telescope and the other was with my 200-400 f/4 on the Gem mount. about 2 hours of data stacked in DSS and processed in PS and the wide field 10 minutes of data stacked in DSS and processed in PS

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field RABaker
02nd Jul 2013
Reply message RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field rws67 Gold Member
03rd Jul 2013
Reply message RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field gvk Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
Reply message RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
04th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
04th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
09th Jul 2013
10th Jul 2013
     Reply message RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
10th Jul 2013
11th Jul 2013

RABaker   Sunnyvale, US  Registered since 01st Oct 2003 Tue 02-Jul-13 10:02 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field"
In response to Reply # 0

Both are very nice images. What camera did you use?

Thanks,
Richard

rws67 Gold Member  Cedar Park, US  Nikonian since 21st Jun 2013 Wed 03-Jul-13 05:07 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you.

I used a D700.

Rob

gvk Silver Member  Mystic, US  Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006 Wed 03-Jul-13 02:51 PM
338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice shots! I am continually amazed at how digital and stacking has transformed deep sky astrophotography.

Nice to see so many stars, even if only in a photo. I have not seen as much as a single star here in the NE US for more than a week.

Gerry

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Thu 04-Jul-13 03:27 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field"
In response to Reply # 3

Given the recent weather patterns I am thinking about re-purposing this forum, which will hereafter be known as the "Cloud Photography Forum".

I figure it will be more suitable for East Coast photographers

my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Thu 04-Jul-13 03:28 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field"
In response to Reply # 0

Both exceptional images, Rob!

my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest   Dallas, US  Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007 Tue 09-Jul-13 02:18 AM
832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice results, Rob. Thanks for the tip on DSS, I hadn't run across it yet. You're inspiring me to give it a try.

Could you expound a bit more on your exposure settings? How long do you leave the shutter open on each shot, and how often do you shoot?

Love the results!

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

rws67 Gold Member  Cedar Park, US  Nikonian since 21st Jun 2013 Wed 10-Jul-13 04:07 PM
#7. "RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks Mark,

I usually shoot at 800 or 1600 ISO just depends. If in a Orange area where I live 1600 if at a dark site like at our ranch I will shoot 800. You basically want to expose to where the histogram is about a 3rd from the left hand side. So in more light polluted areas can mean a shorter exposure, and dark sites longer. It also helps to get a filter. I have a Astronomik CLS Light Pollution Filter. That helps a lot.

Of course you need a intervolmeter and I would get the Nikon one. I went through two Promaster's and realized you get what you pay for. Luckily my camera store gave me my money back to put towards the Nikon one. Then start testing length of exposure to get the histogram right. Once that is done set the intervolmeter SP? Say 2 minutes then make sure you give 10-15 seconds between shots so second would be set at 2 minutes 10 seconds. Then set how many photos you want to take. Try to get at least an hour, but the more the better. Also set the camera to not review every time, that uses battery.

Then when you are done you need to take Darks. Which are putting the cap over your camera and shooting at the same length. I usually do that when I am packing up. It must be in the same temp as you were shooting. That is to help remove hot pixels and noise when you stack later.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Rob

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest   Dallas, US  Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007 Wed 10-Jul-13 04:23 PM
832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field"
In response to Reply # 7

Rob,

Thanks for the great info. Again, inspiring photos!

Best,

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

rws67 Gold Member  Cedar Park, US  Nikonian since 21st Jun 2013 Thu 11-Jul-13 10:24 PM
#9. "RE: Lagoon and Trifid Closeup and Wide field"
In response to Reply # 8

Your welcome

Rob

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Astrophotography topic #956 Previous topic | Next topic