Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #952
View in linear mode

Subject: "Double exposure" Previous topic | Next topic
bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Sun 23-Jun-13 01:05 AM
3240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Double exposure"
Sun 23-Jun-13 01:44 AM by bobpilot

Washington, US

D3s (same feature on the D3x but I didn't test the D3x)

Double exposure seems clear. I set the camera for 2 shots double exposure, spot meter, Aperture priority, push the shutter release twice. Anything else to consider?

Here is the test I conducted:
First shot at a subject in bright sunlight.
Second shot at a different subject in shade.
The result is the first object is rendered on the second image.

So, will this work for an exposure of the moon? I'll try it tonight, but tomorrow is the BIG moon and I don't want to experiment; not enough time.

My idea this:
1. Set the D3x to double exposure mode
2. spot meter the moon and take the first image
3. move focus point to foreground and take the second image.

The problem I foresee is that the moon will have moved between the first and second shots.

even with bracketing, the moon will have moved.

I have an idea to accommodate for this, but I want to test it.

What are your thoughts on moon photography with a properly exposed moon and a properly exposed foreground?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Sun 23-Jun-13 04:30 AM
3240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Results of test on 6.22"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington, US

The images do not stay separated in the card, the camera combines them so I don't have the separate images, I did, however, take some shots that were not combined to give you and idea of what I did.

Image 1: Spot metered, 1/400; f/4.0; ISO 200; -1/3 EV

Image 2: Matrix metered; 1/3; f/4.0 ISO 200 -2 EV
This is not the image I used for the double exposure; as you can tell this image has some motion blur. I posted this image to show the light that I was working with and to show the exposure.

Combined image:

And the combined image with some adjustments and cropped to an 8 x 10

I used a grad filter in Lightroom to bring out the foreground and I don't like it; it does not look real

For tomorrow's shot I hope to find a formation that is illuminated by the sunset.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sun 23-Jun-13 06:24 PM
801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Results of test on 6.22"
In response to Reply # 1

Dallas, US

Bob,

Seems like it should work, as long as the moon isn't in the landscape shot, i.e. take the landscape right before moonrise. Is that what you did?

I have found it quite easy to add a moon to the sky in Photoshop. If your double exposure fails, you can still put them back together relatively easily.

Good luck tonight, I'm going out too, clouds willing.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #952 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.