Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #945
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aug 3-5 2013 Conjunction - Mercury-Mars-Jupiter-Moon" Previous topic | Next topic
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 20-Jun-13 08:47 AM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aug 3-5 2013 Conjunction - Mercury-Mars-Jupiter-Moon"

US

The mornings of Aug 3-5 2013 (East Coast USA) will have Mercury, Mars, Jupiter and the old crescent moon rising at dawn.

The image below, from SkyMap Pro, are the circumstances of August 3 at about 4:38am my time on the East Coast. The moon will be about 3 days from new and a great candidate for Earth shine exposures.

There are 4 bright major constellations here, Gemini, Orion, Auriga and "the Horns" of Taurus. Interestingly, Mercury is, right now, in Gemini in the evening sky and the subject of our ongoing Mercury/Venus conjunction thread.

The map time is set to 15 minutes after the start of Astronomical Twilight, when full night time darkness ends and dawn slowly builds in the eastern sky.

With very favorable skies I think it would be possible to image Gemini and Orion, just rising, along with Mercury, and with at least the bright stars of these constellations well image.

That is what is so exciting about these circumstances, and that would be the challenge here. It would be a race against time as Mercury rises into the increasingly bright dawn sky. Somewhere between the rise of Mercury and the beginning of Nautical Twilight at about 5:02am EDST my time would be the very short window to do this.

With a full and clear view of the eastern horizon, and very clear skies, this will be a spectacular image. I can't think of a better set of constellations that fit into one 24mm FX (16mm DX) field of view that would include some planets and/or the moon.

A lot could be done with these circumstances, and various focal lengths. I could easily see setting up two cameras and tripods, covering 24-200mm or so.

The following evening (Aug 4) the moon will be now 2 days from new, and slightly below Mars. On Aug 5, the slightly over 1 day from new moon will be slightly below Mercury, and reasonably favorable and very doable. You have a 3 day window to take in some great astronomical landscape images.

my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Thu 19-Sep-13 05:58 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aug 3-5 2013 Conjunction - Mercury-Mars-Jupiter-Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

Hi Neil,
Long-time-no-see! You didn't get much of a response to this. Do you think it is because of a lack of a very specific interest, or some other inhibition?

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

mosesm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Thu 10-Oct-13 03:11 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aug 3-5 2013 Conjunction - Mercury-Mars-Jupiter-Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

Cloquet, US

For some reason I missed this post pinned at the top. Here was my photo the morning of August 3rd taken at 4:34 am CDT.

Matt
www.moses-images.com|www.moses-photography.com|My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 10-Oct-13 06:21 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aug 3-5 2013 Conjunction - Mercury-Mars-Jupiter-Moon"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Beautiful image, Matt!

my Nikonians gallery.

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Thu 10-Oct-13 06:26 PM
391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Aug 3-5 2013 Conjunction - Mercury-Mars-Jupiter-Moon"
In response to Reply # 2

Lynnwood, US

Beautiful, I love it!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

my website

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #945 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.