Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #934
View in linear mode

Subject: "Big moon day June 23" Previous topic | Next topic
William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Tue 18-Jun-13 02:07 PM
306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Big moon day June 23"

Rambouillet, FR

I know nothing about astrophotography, but understand that the moon will be closest to the earth on June 23. Perhaps this means nothing, but could one expect it to appear closer as well?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Big moon day June 23
nrothschild Silver Member
19th Jun 2013
benveniste Moderator
19th Jun 2013
mklass Platinum Member
19th Jun 2013
benveniste Moderator
19th Jun 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
19th Jun 2013
lastdaylight Gold Member
24th Jun 2013

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 19-Jun-13 02:24 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Big moon day June 23"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi William,

On June 23, the apparent diameter of the moon will be 33' (arc-minutes). The typical minimum diameter is about 29-30', so the moon will be about 10% larger in apparent diameter than it is when furthest from the earth.

I don't think it looks visually larger to the unaided eye. And it is confused by a psychological effect that makes any moon close to the horizon appear much larger than it looks high in the sky.

Photographically it is like a free 10% focal length boost . It is interesting to shoot a "large" moon like the June 23 moon, and a moon at 29-30' apparent diameter, at the same focal length and with the same camera, and compare comparable crops.

my Nikonians gallery.

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Wed 19-Jun-13 10:29 PM
9418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Big moon day June 23"
In response to Reply # 1

Boston Area, US

Alas, the forecast here for the evening of the 23rd is "Mostly Cloudy."

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 19-Jun-13 10:38 PM
5816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Big moon day June 23"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

>Alas, the forecast here for the evening of the 23rd is
>"Mostly Cloudy."
>
I always wondered how that differs from "Partly Sunny".

Anyway, it's expected to be raining here (surprise )

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Wed 19-Jun-13 11:17 PM
9418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Big moon day June 23"
In response to Reply # 3

Boston Area, US

Well, it's an evening/night forecast, so "Partly Sunny" would qualify as quite a surprise!

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 19-Jun-13 11:26 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Big moon day June 23"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>>Alas, the forecast here for the evening of the 23rd is
>>"Mostly Cloudy."
>>
>I always wondered how that differs from "Partly
>Sunny".

"partly sunny" - an optimist

"mostly cloudy" - a pessimist

-

my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Mon 24-Jun-13 12:22 PM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Big moon day June 23"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Decided to try to catch the moon on the horizon at the airport with the telescope (~1000mm f/8). But, the murk was too thick on the horizon, and by the time we could see the moon, 1000mm was already too long to make an interesting shot. And, even in this shot, the moon was really dim.

D600, 5" refractor, 1000mm, f/8, 1/20 sec, ISO 3200

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #934 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.