nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #907
View in linear mode

Subject: "June 7 Old Moon" Previous topic | Next topic
lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Fri 07-Jun-13 02:12 PM
830 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"June 7 Old Moon"

Dallas, US

Went out for moon rise this morning. If I did the calculations right, I think this is about 29 hours before new. Not ideal conditions (the moon is on the wrong side of the ecliptic, etc.) but it's in there... barely. About 2 degrees above the horizon. Taken June 7, 2013, 5:54 CDT or 10:54 GMT. And, if what I dug up on the Internet is right , the moon will be new tomorrow at 15:57 GMT.

D600, 70-200 2.8 @ 200mm, f/4, ISO 200, 1/30

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: June 7 Old Moon
nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
07th Jun 2013
lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
07th Jun 2013
07th Jun 2013
lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
10th Jun 2013
10th Jun 2013
11th Jun 2013
RABaker
08th Jun 2013
10th Jun 2013

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004Fri 07-Jun-13 04:15 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: June 7 Old Moon"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 07-Jun-13 04:23 PM by nrothschild

US

Hi Mark,

Nice job! That was a tough old moon, 2° below the ecliptic and not a very favorable ecliptic tilt either.

I haven't been able to get past about 27.5 hours from new. Probably more due to neglect. It's nice to see someone else chasing those old moons

You only had about a 7.5° altitude difference between the sun and moon.

Your computations look good to me

We are in bad times to shoot old moons. The ecliptic is most favorable around September-October, but the 18 year orbital precession cycle is now at a point in time very unfavorable for those months, with the moon as far south of the ecliptic as it gets.

Interestingly, this coming December 31 old moon is about as good as it gets, especially for the USA, because the old moon will be well north of the ecliptic. And in Dallas that moon will be about 24 hours from new at sunrise. On the East Coast, about 23 hours. The altitude difference between sun and moon will be a little over 12°, and that extra 4-5° makes a huge difference.

I need to spend some time looking at upcoming old moons. I don't have any software that makes it easy.

Was that the earliest you saw it or photographed it? I'm curious about the circumstances 10-15 minutes prior.

All else equal, I think old moons should be easier than new moons. Only because, at least where I live, thermal clouds tend to build during the day and they don't always dissipate by the critical time. At sunrise those clouds have had all night to dissipate and therefore sunrise is often the time of clearest skies, and almost always clearer than sunset.

Edit: which version 70-200 are you using?

my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Fri 07-Jun-13 08:48 PM
830 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: June 7 Old Moon"
In response to Reply # 1

Dallas, US

Thanks Neil.

I saw it just above the tower - I'll post a picture when I get to it. Very hazy.

I'm using the "old" VR 70-200.

Best,

Mark

Mark Smith

My Nikonians Gallery

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004Fri 07-Jun-13 09:34 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: June 7 Old Moon"
In response to Reply # 2

US

You probably have the same vignetting issues I have with my early version.

Look forward to the last image. That would be near 1° above the horizon.

my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Mon 10-Jun-13 03:12 AM
#5. "RE: June 7 Old Moon"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 10-Jun-13 03:13 AM by lastdaylight

Dallas, US

Neil,

On the vignetting, I find that the "profile lens correction" in Lightroom does an excellent job of compensating for the "old" 70-200 2.8 VR falloff in the corners. Now, I know that you can't make something from nothing, but it really works pretty well.

Here's the earlier shot. OK, so at least part of the reason this earlier shot wasn't as good was incompetence . The ISO was 800, higher than it needed to be. Worse, it looks like I missed the focus! Anyway, here it is, like you said at about 1 degree off the horizon.

D600, Old 70-200mm 2.8 VR @ 200mm, f/4, ISO 800, 1/40 sec.

Mark Smith

My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004Mon 10-Jun-13 06:51 PM
#7. "RE: June 7 Old Moon"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Mark,

Weird things happen in the dark. Weirder things happen in the morning dawn

One of the problems I've had with dawn shoots is that, in the obstructed location I often shoot, with a balcony over my head and side walls on a high rise patio, is that I don't always have the suitable focus subjects I would like to have. Catching a rising moon or planet at dawn is much harder than catching a sinking subject right at the horizon.

Any bright star is fine, and I always hope I will have one nearby. I actually pre-check for bright nearby stars on a SkyMap model as part of my planning. It sometimes forces me to fully set up earlier, just to make sure one is available for focusing. In my case I am shooting out over the ocean where there is rarely anything at or in front of the horizon unless a ship happens by at just the right moment.

I did the same thing on my 2nd round of the conjunction. I was sure I had correct focus, but for some time I was ever so slightly out. I also changed focal length. I thought the 70-200 was "parfocal" through the range but maybe not? I need to look closer at that. More likely operator error.

I use Capture NX. I wish they would "fix" the vignetting tool such that it actually corrected this lens. It is one of my pet infuriating peeves about CNX2. Your comments are another reason to throw in the towel and go to LightRoom, but I am too set in my ways.

my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Tue 11-Jun-13 05:01 AM
#8. "RE: June 7 Old Moon"
In response to Reply # 7

Dallas, US

Neil,

My two cents on the notion of parfocal:

1) Nothing is parfocal enough for critical work.
2) Even if it was, close enough at 70mm isn't close enough at 200mm. You would only be happy "going shorter".

I try to always check the focus if I change focal length. Of course, I don't always get it right...

Mark

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Sat 08-Jun-13 04:50 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: June 7 Old Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunnyvale, US

Mark,

Very nice image. I'm impressed. Well done.

Thanks for sharing,
Richard

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Mon 10-Jun-13 03:14 AM
#6. "RE: June 7 Old Moon"
In response to Reply # 4

Dallas, US

Thanks very much for the comment, Richard.

Mark Smith

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #907 Previous topic | Next topic