Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #856
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012" Previous topic | Next topic
Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberWed 22-May-13 02:51 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012"

Cocos (Keeling) Islands, AU

Hi, greetings from the sandbar

We were having a lovely bbq at Trannies Beach (so named because of the transmitter towers nearby!!!) and with a setting moon and the stars, I just had to give it a go at capturing the scene.

Now I have no idea what stars are where... I just liked what I saw

D700 | 24-70 @ 24mm | ISO 800 | F5.6 | 20s

Best Fishes ~ Karen <*((---{

Waving the flag for Nikonians on the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and learning every day.

Karens Cocos Reflections gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012
nrothschild Silver Member
22nd May 2013
Marjani Moderator
22nd May 2013
22nd May 2013
Marjani Moderator
22nd May 2013
22nd May 2013
Marjani Moderator
25th May 2013
25th May 2013
James23p Moderator
22nd May 2013
Marjani Moderator
22nd May 2013

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 22-May-13 09:30 AM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012"
In response to Reply # 0

US

That's a beautiful image, Karen!

If you provide the EXIF date and time it is easy to work out the star field. It's a good application of Cartes Du Ciel or any other sky mapping program.

my Nikonians gallery.

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberWed 22-May-13 10:23 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Neil, I had all intentions of adding that, but forgot!

Original time: 21:15:24 23/07/12

Thanks so much for the compliment. I think I'll just keep pointing and shooting and leaving the techno stuff to you

Waving the flag for Nikonians on the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and learning every day.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 22-May-13 11:29 AM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Marjani,

Here are some highlights of your image:

Here is the SkyMap Pro V10 rendering of the map for that area of the sky. The approximate framing is rectangled in red. Not sure why it is off a bit because that app does everything with great precision.

You posted this to the wrong thread . This is a great conjunction shot, with the moon, Saturn and Mars!

To the left of Saturn is magnitude 1 Spica (alpha Virginis), the brightest star in Virgo.

I marked gamma Virginis. That is an interesting double star whose companion orbits fairly quickly, on the order of a 100 or 200 years. It's been studied very carefully and many of us amateurs watched it close a couple of years ago, testing the resolution of our optics.

It closed to less than 1" arc separation, and is now probably 2 or 3" (haven't checked it this year due to generally poor weather and have not seen any official numbers posted to the net recently). Anyway, it is one of my favorites although only about mag 3.

Upper right is magnitude 0 Antares (alpha Bootis), a red giant, and the brightest star in Bootes (the "kite" constellation).

Upper left is a fragment of the constellation Centaurus, containing that huge globular cluster I suggested you shoot (out of the frame here).

At the bottom of the palm leaves is a minor constellation Corvus. I tracked Halley's Comet through that constellation in 1986 or thereabouts .

The moon (4 days 23 hours old) is setting and almost exactly due west, not rising. It is a moderate crescent moon. It is interesting that it renders as a round object, not a crescent.

This is a great place to shoot the conjunction since it is facing west where the moon and planets will be setting in the coming weeks. You just need to get rid of that marine layer for a couple evenings because the action will be down in the lower quarter of your frame

I set the map to show stars of Magnitude 8. I think the upper third of your image, unaffected by the moon and the marine layer, is probably between Mag 7 or 7.5 and 8. The photographic magnitudes of stars varies a bit from visual magnitudes and the map is set to visual magnitudes. Therefore there are always odd discrepancies between an image and the maps.

You can display a large image of map by clicking here:

my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberWed 22-May-13 12:15 PM
#6. "RE: Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012"
In response to Reply # 5

Hiya Neil.

See, I told you I have no idea what stars /planets I'm looking at and here it is a shot that I could have posted in the thread you suggested during my other post! I didn't know I already had a suitable image!!

That was the only one I took of the night. By the time I considered another, the moon was gone!

Cheers - Karen

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 22-May-13 02:35 PM
#7. "RE: Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012"
In response to Reply # 6

US

What you lacked in quantity that night you made up for in quality!

Stick around here and I will have you cruising Cartes Du Ciel to better understand those beautiful scenes .

Where I live I have mag 3.5 skies, at best, and I don't think there are any truly dark skies within a 6 hour drive. And arguably there are none on the East Coast USA.

You have a very unique situation there, where you line on an Island with only 100 or so others. Given the huge cost of transporting fuel there, I would think the outdoor lighting is kept to a reasonable minimum. You live about 8 miles from the other 500 people across the atoll.

The next nearest light source is another Island 400+ miles distant? And from there about 1500 miles to the nearest mainland?

I can't even imagine the dark skies you might have there. If I lived there I would start a campaign to replace outdoor lighting with the reddish low pressure stuff they use on the Big Island of Hawaii to protect the skies on Mauna Kea for the observatory complex there. That should be done everywhere, but that is a different soap box matter .

Just to say you could do some awesome astrophotography that can be done in few places in the world, and even fewer a mile's drive or less from your front door.

my Nikonians gallery.

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberSat 25-May-13 01:34 AM
#8. "RE: Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012"
In response to Reply # 7

Hi Neil, greetings

Well, I may never get into it like you, however I really do love the night sky. Now to perfect all the settings so I the least amount of noise or hot pixels so I could possibly print a large image and I'll be happy.

At the moment Cocos is covered in cloud. We've had heavy rain all night and a large cloud bank that may not pass for a few days! Typical.... Every time we have some celestial phenomena, we seem to have bad weather Anyway, fingers crossed that it clears for tomorrow evening!

Lighting on the island is pretty dim - same as Home Island. I am able to stand outside of our house and clearly see the night sky - maybe not the smaller stars but the Southern Cross is generally visible. And you are correct with the nearest mainland and other island light source.

I'll keep trying! Cheers

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 25-May-13 01:40 PM
#9. "RE: Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 25-May-13 01:41 PM by nrothschild

US

Hi Karen,

Good luck on the weather!

We are actually scheduled for clear skies this weekend. A strong cold front blew out the humid wet weather we've had for most of the last 2 weeks. This is our traditional "start of summer holiday" (Memorial Day Weekend"). Almost early spring/late winter winter conditions, with cold winds up to 35mph. But it is doing its job to clean up the skies (I hope).

I think that getting these night shots at a quality that permits "large prints" is challenging. Depending on how large you are thinking.

I can envision your Milky Way shot as a 20x30 canvas . This one too- tough choice! Do both!

Keep us informed on your progress. I've never printed any of mine larger than 8x12 but it is something I want to do.

my Nikonians gallery.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 22-May-13 09:46 AM
9149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

Wonderful shot of a wonderful place.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberWed 22-May-13 10:24 AM
#4. "RE: Cocos Night Sky 23/07/2012"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks so much Jim

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #856 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.