Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #717
View in linear mode

Subject: "Large CME impact 3-16" Previous topic | Next topic
2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Sun 17-Mar-13 08:34 PM
878 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Large CME impact 3-16"

Anchorage, US

Here are a few images as a result of the huge CME that hit the magnetosphere last night. The Kp Index is still high and there may be a chance for continued lights tonight.

At Kashwitna Lake

D700 - Noct-Nikkor 58mm ƒ/1.2 - ISO 1250 - ƒ/1.2 - 2 seconds

Red on the Moon

D3s - Nikkor 24mm ƒ/2.0 AI - ISO 4000 - ƒ/2.8 - 1 second

Corona with Big Dipper

D3s - Nikkor 24mm ƒ/2.0 AI - ISO 4000 - ƒ/2.8 - 1 second

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Large CME impact 3-16
simonsi
18th Mar 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
18th Mar 2013
lastdaylight Gold Member
19th Mar 2013
2pixels_short Gold Member
19th Mar 2013
lastdaylight Gold Member
19th Mar 2013

simonsi Registered since 17th Apr 2003Mon 18-Mar-13 06:42 AM
1285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Large CME impact 3-16"
In response to Reply # 0

Auckland, NZ

Fantastic!

Cheers

Simon

A New Zealand Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 18-Mar-13 10:52 AM
10915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Large CME impact 3-16"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Great images! I had to duck when I saw that last one

my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Tue 19-Mar-13 01:28 AM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Large CME impact 3-16"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Absolutely fabulous! How often do you get red like that in the second one?

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Tue 19-Mar-13 05:18 PM
878 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Large CME impact 3-16"
In response to Reply # 3

Anchorage, US

Mark,
While the predominant colors are green and gold from particle interaction with atmospheric oxygen, blues occur when nitrogen is excited. Because red is a slower longer wavelength of light it frequently is overlooked in an image. To get reds, one usually needs a longer exposure.

Below is from NASA

The color of the aurora depends on which gas - oxygen or nitrogen - is being excited by the electrons, and on how excited it becomes.
Oxygen emits either a greenish-yellow light (the most familiar color of the aurora) or a red light; nitrogen generally gives off a blue light. The blending of these colors can also produce purples, pinks, and white. The oxygen and nitrogen also emit ultraviolet light, which can be detected by special cameras on satellites but not by the human eye.
Source: NASA

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Tue 19-Mar-13 11:51 PM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Large CME impact 3-16"
In response to Reply # 4

Dallas, US

Not sure about the gases, but if I was getting shots like that I would certainly be excited. Seriously, very interesting. And, beautiful work.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #717 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.