nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Astronomy and astrophotography are journeys

gbowen

Canton, US
1111 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011
Thu 23-Aug-12 08:56 PM

This journey has no destination. It is as limitless as space. Only you place limits on what you know, and what you seek.

My journey began as a child. In school I was drawn to books with lots of photographs about space and the planets. I loved the artist's conceptions of what our neighbors in the solar system might look like were we able to stand on their surfaces.

The Apollo space program held my attention. I loved it when class was interrupted by the TV being wheeled out and we watched launches, space walks and images of the moon as our astronauts orbited and made preparations to land. I will never forget that hot July night when my father woke me from sleep to watch Neil Armstrong take that monumental first step on another world. A major highlight was seeing, and touching the Apollo 11 command module when it came to Maine on its national tour.

I recall my very first (and so far only) telescope. It had a cheap alt-azimuth mount and was a study in frustration! Yet I managed to catch a glimpse of what lay beyond the terrestrial view. I wish I had explored astronomy further, but growing up, school, and of course girls stole my attention away. Then marriage and raising a family took priority.

Well, now my kids are grown and have kids. Time to return to the journey, and pick up where I left off.

I just thought I would share a bit about my journey. Maybe others would like to share. Photography and astronomy are more than equipment. More than technique. It's about passion and imagination.

I will steal a little thunder from Microsoft.

Where do you want to go today?

George

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Astronomy and astrophotography are journeys

G