nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #578
View in linear mode

Subject: "Jupiter with 300 f/4" Previous topic | Next topic
burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Thu 24-Jan-13 10:23 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Jupiter with 300 f/4"
Thu 24-Jan-13 10:54 PM by burchan

Sydney, AU

Just took delivery of my new 300mm f/4 lens and was testing sharpness and focus at night. Did not expect much from taking photo of the planet but focus was instant and resulting image was a surprise.
Nikon D7000 300mm F/4 with 1,4x converter on tripod. AF-s Single, F/8, 1/150s Manual mode, Matrix metering, ISO 100. Original image was just small a small dot and was zoomed in and cropped.

Also took image of the moon.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Jupiter with 300 f/4
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
24th Jan 2013
burchan Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
25th Jan 2013
burchan Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
burchan Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
03rd Feb 2013

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 24-Jan-13 11:48 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Jupiter with 300 f/4"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nice job, especially with Jupiter!

my Nikonians gallery.

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Fri 25-Jan-13 06:28 AM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Jupiter with 300 f/4"
In response to Reply # 1

Sydney, AU

Another image of Jupiter with its moons at f/5.6 ISO1000 and 1 second exposure.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 25-Jan-13 05:32 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Jupiter with 300 f/4"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I was wondering of you shot the long exposure too

I good bit of coma there. More than I would have thought (I own the lens but not sure if I've done this with that lens).

my Nikonians gallery.

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Fri 25-Jan-13 08:51 PM
#4. "RE: Jupiter with 300 f/4"
In response to Reply # 3

Sydney, AU

Jupiter is at the moment in the ideal position for photography. I tried again last night but it was not as good. Could be humidity in the air. Strange my first shot ever was the best and I was not able to repeat it and it was taken only in jpg.

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Fri 01-Feb-13 09:07 PM
#5. "RE: Jupiter with 300 f/4"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 01-Feb-13 09:47 PM by burchan

Sydney, AU

I am having lot of fun with my new lens. This is combined image over several days with changing moons position. Not until all the moons were on one side that I was able to name them. Io is photographing orange to brown when not overexposed. Callisto is the least bright. Note Io is just visible going around Jupiter Moon shot was used as size comparison. I know it is not much for Astrophotography blog but it has been fun.

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sun 03-Feb-13 04:55 AM
828 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Jupiter with 300 f/4"
In response to Reply # 5

Dallas, US

I'd say excellent results with a 300mm lens! Nice work.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #578 Previous topic | Next topic