Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #434
View in linear mode

Subject: "Solar cruise" Previous topic | Next topic
burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 08:52 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Solar cruise"
Mon 05-Nov-12 09:00 PM by burchan

Sydney, AU

Tomorrow I am off on a solar cruise in the Pacific from Sydney. This time I invested in Baader ND5 solar film to be safe and not to damage my camera. I am using Nikon D7000 and 18-200mm lens. I did test shots and it looks OK. See sample at 100% crop. Nothing else was adjusted post process. Even few sun spots are visible - 200mm Manual mode f/10 1/640s ISO 100 spot metering and single focus point. Focus in auto was obtained quickly so I will use it. I know that at least one other Nikonian will be on the same cruise from reading the posts.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Solar cruise
NetWalker37 Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
burchan Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
NetWalker37 Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
burchan Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
RABaker
06th Nov 2012
lastdaylight Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
burchan Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
DaddySS Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
lastdaylight Gold Member
21st Nov 2012
burchan Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
snaefell
21st Nov 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
burchan Silver Member
21st Nov 2012

NetWalker37 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2009Tue 06-Nov-12 05:34 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Besides the obvious...

Could you please explain a solar cruise?

Cheers...

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 07:14 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 1

Sydney, AU

>Besides the obvious...
>
>Could you please explain a solar cruise?

Just normal 14 nights cruise visiting various south pacific ports. Because of Total Solar Eclipse during the cruise ship will sail to the best observation location. Area of longest totality and free of clouds. There are number of Astronomical experts on the cruise giving lectures, talks and evening stargazing troughout the cruise. The highlight is on the morning of the 14th with the total solar eclipse.

NetWalker37 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2009Tue 06-Nov-12 07:16 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

Nice...I hasve cruised 3 times currently...nice way to holiday

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 06-Nov-12 03:34 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Enjoy the cruise!

You may consider opening up a bit, for higher shutter speeds. (Or a higher ISO, which might be a better move, at least up to 400)

You did not need it here but you may need it on the ship in open seas. You'll want to allow plenty of time to figure that part out on eclipse day

my Nikonians gallery.

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 06:57 PM
#6. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 4

Sydney, AU

>Enjoy the cruise!
>
>You may consider opening up a bit, for higher shutter speeds.
>(Or a higher ISO, which might be a better move, at least up to
>400)
>
>You did not need it here but you may need it on the ship in
>open seas. You'll want to allow plenty of time to figure that
>part out on eclipse day

Thank you. I will have plenty of time for tests before the eclipse on the 14th.

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Tue 06-Nov-12 05:23 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunnyvale, US

Wow! Enjoy your cruise. Some friends of ours did a similar cruise for the last solar eclipse and had a great time - I know you will too.

Good luck,
Richard

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Wed 07-Nov-12 01:07 AM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Way cool. Very jealous here. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Best,

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 11:32 AM
#8. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 7

Sydney, AU

I am writting this from the HAL Oosterdam cruise ship. I just experienced my first Total Solar Eclipse. We were lucky with weather but have lost second Diamond Ring observation due to clouds. Lot of good quality camera equipment was in use. Sad to see some of the people who have made decision to use manual focus and have disapointing result. In all my tests I have found it impossible to achieve manual focus on such a small object in the sky. Auto focus is the only way good focus can be achieved. Few attached photos are taken with D7000 and 18-200mm lens.

Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Tue 20-Nov-12 10:21 PM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 8

Woodcliff Lake, US

Very cool, nice shots.

Richard

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Wed 21-Nov-12 03:11 AM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 8

Dallas, US

Very cool, indeed. Love the corona shot! Congrats.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 09:41 AM
#11. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed 21-Nov-12 09:46 AM by burchan

Sydney, AU

>Very cool, indeed. Love the corona shot! Congrats.

Thank you. It was all luck.
I have been practicing photographing the sun during the first few days of the cruise and was getting good results. I saved the setting for solar filter use to U1 in my D7000 camera. I also used Bracketing in +/-1EV. For totality best guess settings saved to U2. I was confident but things sometime don't turn out as one would expect.
We woke up to cloudy day. Sun become visable for a short time when moon was already half way across the sun. In the distance we could see sunlight patch in the sea and the ship was heading for it. We had the clearing as the thin cresent was still visible. Took few shots and remove solar filter. Now it was geting dark. Could not see the camera mode dial and turned it the wrong way. Took few photos of Diamond ring looked at result and made changes blind in the dark. This continued into totality. In the end the settings were right and the totality was visible. We have been lucky.

snaefell Registered since 01st Jun 2009Wed 21-Nov-12 12:22 PM
1267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 11

Berlin, DE

Hi,
great photos, thanks for sharing.
The corona is great, but the combined image as well.

best

Christian

Visit
My photos from Iceland
my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 21-Nov-12 01:15 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Very nice set of images! I'm surprised you got as much corona as you did with such a short exposure. Did you have difficulty framing around the roll of the ship?

my Nikonians gallery.

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 08:35 PM
#14. "RE: Solar cruise"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed 21-Nov-12 08:54 PM by burchan

Sydney, AU

>Very nice set of images! I'm surprised you got as much
>corona as you did with such a short exposure. Did you have
>difficulty framing around the roll of the ship?

No one is as surprised as I was. It was luck but understanding camera and exposures also helps. I was not sure where I was with the setting in the dark. I judged the speed by the sound and compensated. This is not normal in the dark adjustments. Diamond ring lasted 10 seconds. I took 7 images at 3 different setting. All keepers. Totality lasted less then 2 minute before clouds took over. I took 45 images at 2 different settings but most in manual mode. Most keepers. At the same time I wanted to experience it but I must say that view trough the lens was the best.
Camera was set on tripod with preset tension of ball head. It was easy to keep the sun in the frame at 200mm. Movement of the ship did not cause problem. It is a big ship.

Totality was taken in manual mode f/5.6, 1/160s, Matrix, ISO 200

Diamond ring was taken in Scene Landscape f/11, 1/125s, Matrix, ISO 200.(by accident)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #434 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.