nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Astrophotography topic #432
View in linear mode

Subject: "Moon over Reykjavik" Previous topic | Next topic
snaefell   Berlin, DE  Registered since 01st Jun 2009 Mon 05-Nov-12 11:06 AM
1267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Moon over Reykjavik"
Mon 05-Nov-12 11:12 AM by snaefell

Hi,
I wasn actually unsure, where to post this image, if you know a better place than here, let me know.
This image is composed from a series of 8 single images, with 4 minutes between the images. It shows the view from my living-room in Reykjavik and was actually planned as an excercise for a much nicer moon position a few days later, but at that time the weather didn't play nice and prohibited taking photos.
The technique behind this is rather simple (although it takes some time), you stack the images above each other in layers and then remove it where the moon should appear. There is quite a nice description available here.

Click on image to view larger version

best

Christian

Visit
My photos from Iceland
my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Moon over Reykjavik RABaker
06th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Moon over Reykjavik snaefell
06th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Moon over Reykjavik nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
06th Nov 2012
07th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Moon over Reykjavik lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
07th Nov 2012
07th Nov 2012

RABaker   Sunnyvale, US  Registered since 01st Oct 2003 Tue 06-Nov-12 03:00 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Moon over Reykjavik"
In response to Reply # 0

I really like this image. Can you share more of the technical details like camera, lens( focal length if it was a zoom), aperture, shutter speed, etc. ...and was the foreground exposed as part of one of the moon shots, or did it require a different amount of exposure than the moon?

Thanks,
Richard

snaefell   Berlin, DE  Registered since 01st Jun 2009 Tue 06-Nov-12 11:53 AM
1267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Moon over Reykjavik"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi,

>I really like this image. Can you share more of the
>technical details like camera, lens( focal length if it was a
>zoom), aperture, shutter speed, etc. ...and was the
>foreground exposed as part of one of the moon shots, or did it

thanks for the comment. This has been shot with a D3 and the 70-180 at 180mm focal length. ISO was set to 200, aperture to 7.1 and the time was set by the camera.

>require a different amount of exposure than the moon?

Since this was supposed to be a test I wanted to know if its better to adapt the time to the changing light or to keep it the same. Since I was only interested in the moon (except for a few shots in the middle with nice lighting for the rest of the image) it would have been better to balance the metering on the moon. Since I shot this in Raw, I could adapt the moon so it looks more or less the same throughout the image. In the beginning the light situation is more balanced, but later on it gets more difficult, since the landscape is getting to dark and the moon will eventually be only a white dot on the sky. Using a graded ND filter is probably also not a bad idea.
If you are interested you can also see this as a movie (originally I shot every 30 sec which got a nice timelapse) here.

best

Christian

Visit
My photos from Iceland
my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Tue 06-Nov-12 12:41 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Moon over Reykjavik"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 06-Nov-12 04:09 PM by nrothschild

Hi Christian,

Thanks for sharing that image! I think it is very appropriate here. Among many reasons, it is good practice to do something like this image, by Fred Espanak, of a Lunar Eclipse sequence. This is surely astrophotography at it's best .

http://www.mreclipse.com/LEphoto/TLE2000Jul/image/TLE2000Julmux1w.JPG

I think it is best to vary the exposure over time to keep the moon well exposed. If you set a manual exposure as the moon rises, with the moon well exposed, then later images should only need to be progressively reduced by about a stop or two (maybe a bit more), depending on conditions, which accounts for the "atmospheric extinction" of the moon as it rises from the murk at the horizon.

The moon does not get intrinsically brighter as it rises (but the largely unpredictable extinction is reduced which has the effect of brightening it). The ambient terrestrial scene just gets darker .

my Nikonians gallery.

snaefell   Berlin, DE  Registered since 01st Jun 2009 Wed 07-Nov-12 07:54 PM
#5. "RE: Moon over Reykjavik"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi,

>like this image, by Fred Espanak, of a Lunar Eclipse sequence.
> This is surely astrophotography at it's best .

It was this kind of image which inspired me trying this myself.

>I think it is best to vary the exposure over time to keep the
>moon well exposed. If you set a manual exposure as the moon

I agree.

>only need to be progressively reduced by about a stop or two

To get the moon at approximately the same bightness in all images I had to reduce the exposure in the last image by 2 stops

>effect of brightening it). The ambient terrestrial scene just
>gets darker .

The moon stays the same piece of rock lightened by the sun all the time. I will try that again, I just need more time and another nice place to do so.

best

Christian

Visit
My photos from Iceland
my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest   Dallas, US  Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007 Wed 07-Nov-12 02:06 AM
832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Moon over Reykjavik"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice. Good job with the exposure. And, you have a very nice view from your living room!

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

snaefell   Berlin, DE  Registered since 01st Jun 2009 Wed 07-Nov-12 07:54 PM
#6. "RE: Moon over Reykjavik"
In response to Reply # 4

Hi,

>Very nice. Good job with the exposure. And, you have a very
>nice view from your living room!

thanks for your comment. Unfortunately I had to move.

best

Christian

Visit
My photos from Iceland
my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Astrophotography topic #432 Previous topic | Next topic