Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #423
View in linear mode

Subject: "has to be a better way..." Previous topic | Next topic
autoexer Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jan 2011Mon 22-Oct-12 12:06 AM
810 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"has to be a better way..."

Waukesha, US

i have a 2x barlow and a camera adapter - need both to be able to focus! My D70 has issues - must use my FG, FA or F to be able to see the image as the D70 i cannot even see the image.

what does your set up consist of and look like?

help?????

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

F4(e), FA, FG and for my "microwave" moments - D70!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

autoexer Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jan 2011Tue 23-Oct-12 11:34 PM
810 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: has to be a better way..."
In response to Reply # 0

Waukesha, US

i am thinking i will do better with my 300mm f/4.5 with a TC-201 for a 600mm f/8 on the mount for time lapse photo's

thoughts?

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 29-Oct-12 02:33 PM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: has to be a better way..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Art,

Acquiring an image in a setup like yours can be very challenging. Newer cameras with LiveView are often helpful.

For focusing, it is usually best to try to focus on the brightest easily accessible star, reasonably high in the sky.

For framing, it depends on your subject. You may have to acquire it in the finder scope, which needs to be very well aligned with the main optical lens.

If you cannot see it in the viewfinder you would likely have difficulties imaging it, considering the exposure times required and the likelihood that your mount may not be up to the task of very long (multi-minute) exposures.

You do not specify the telesecope model and optical configuration so it is tough to get more specific. Looks like a long focus Celestron?

The solution is faster optics and a much beefier mount capable of more options in terms of finder scopes. Short of that it may be better to eliminate the barlow to avoid pushing the scope past its practical limits, at least until you get more experience with it threading this tough needle.

my Nikonians gallery.

autoexer Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jan 2011Mon 29-Oct-12 03:17 PM
#3. "RE: has to be a better way..."
In response to Reply # 2

Waukesha, US

it is a 900mm f/8 Celestron C4.5. I can focus it as is with the barlow in place with my FA, but not with my D70. Not sure why that is...

I think i need a threaded adaptor to bring the camera closed to the secondary mirror without the barlow. Right now i have no way of connecting it! If i remove the barlow, i cannot focus it at all, but if i hold the camera with the t-ring and adaptor, it will focus. I have the feeling the adaptor i need is going to be very hard to find...

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #423 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.