nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Astrophotography topic #416
View in linear mode

Subject: ""f" rating of a telescope" Previous topic | Next topic
autoexer Silver Member  Waukesha, US  Nikonian since 27th Jan 2011 Sat 20-Oct-12 04:46 AM
1075 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""f" rating of a telescope"
Sat 20-Oct-12 04:49 AM by autoexer

i have a 114mm (4.5 inch) with 900 focal length for an f/8 (7.89) - 900/114= 7.89

i hade a shorter tube, i.e. 630mm it would be f/5.52. question - when i think of f-stops in a lens, the smaller the number the greater ability to gather light, a f/1.4 gathers more light than an f/3.5. This does not seem to be the case in telescopes. I can see the difference if i had a 900mm focal length and increased the mirror size to say 6 inch (150mm) then the f-stop would be 900/150=6, f/6.0. The 6 inch will gather more light in the same amount of time as the f/8 scope.

If it works the same, f/6 is faster than f/8, how can the focal length of 630mm gather more light given the same size mirror?

what am i missing here?

i did find this: http://www.chuckhawks.com/telescope_focal_length.htm

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Df, FA, FG, F

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest   Dallas, US  Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007 Sun 21-Oct-12 06:00 PM
833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "f" rating of a telescope"
In response to Reply # 0

I've given this some thought, too, and finally arrived at this:

For a given focal length, your statement is correct. The larger the objective lens or mirror, the more light it gathers.

When you change to thinking about constant objective lens or mirror size, think of it this way: As we increase focal length, less of the "image" falls on the sensor at any time. Start with a constant size object that you are looking at, say it's 3 x 2 meters in size, and exactly fills the camera sensor. If you double the focal length of the same diameter objective, you will only be looking at 1.5 x 1 meters of the object, still filling the camera sensor. Only 1/4 of the original light is now falling on the sensor, you will need to increase exposure by 2 stops.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

autoexer Silver Member  Waukesha, US  Nikonian since 27th Jan 2011 Mon 22-Oct-12 03:03 AM
1075 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "f" rating of a telescope"
In response to Reply # 1

so it would follow that being two stops faster, the image would be brighter with the faster scope?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Df, FA, FG, F

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest   Dallas, US  Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007 Mon 22-Oct-12 03:54 PM
833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "f" rating of a telescope"
In response to Reply # 2

Correct, or in this case, the "shorter" scope. A 6-inch diameter (call it 150 mm) can be used to make a 600 mm f/4 lens or a 300mm f/2 lens (of course the design would be quite a bit different). The shorter one is "faster."

Another way to think of it is that if we were to double the focal length, all the light that used to be falling on one pixel in the camera is now split among four pixels, due to the higher magnification.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Mon 29-Oct-12 03:40 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: "f" rating of a telescope"
In response to Reply # 0

There a term used in astronomy called "Light Gathering Power" (LGP).

LGP equals the square of the diameter or radius of the lens (the surface area, and it needs to be adjusted for obstructed optics such as your newtonian, which has the secondary mirror blocking some of that light.

Lens speed (f/ratio) dictates the brightness of an object, regardless of the resulting image size.

LGP tells you how bright it can be at different sizes.

A bigger lens operating at the same f/ratio as a smaller lens will deliver the same brightness across a larger image.

Nothing above contradicts anything said previously here; just saying it a different way. It is a confusing subject for photographers turned astronomer because the idea of LGP is little discussed in general photography although it applies equally.

my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Astrophotography topic #416 Previous topic | Next topic