Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #402
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aurora over my back yard" Previous topic | Next topic
2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Sat 13-Oct-12 08:54 PM
867 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aurora over my back yard"

Anchorage, US

Night of October 12-13, 2012

D300 - Nikkor 24mm ƒ/2.0 AI - ISO 800 - ƒ/2/0 - 2.5 sec - Tungsten WB - cable release

There was a moderate geomagnetic storm last night that had people reporting from Scandinavia across the US and Canada. Here the lights danced from 9:00pm to 4:00am local time.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Sat 13-Oct-12 10:40 PM
867 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aurora over my back yard"
In response to Reply # 0

Anchorage, US

Here is a shot of a phenomena known as a Corona. Corona's are usually fast moving and occur when the Aurora are directly overhead so that the rays appear to originate from a central location. In addition to being fast moving they also are short lived.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Sun 14-Oct-12 08:22 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aurora over my back yard"
In response to Reply # 1

Sunnyvale, US

Wow - nice shots! I've never seen an aurora except in pictures, but I do hope to see and photograph at least one aurora someday.

Thanks for sharing,
Richard

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 14-Oct-12 02:15 PM
10910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aurora over my back yard"
In response to Reply # 1

US

This second shot is spectacular. I don't recall previously seeing it imaged quite this way.

The first image looks like someone(s) needs to call the fire department .

Nice backyard sky watching. I won't bother showing you mine

my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sun 14-Oct-12 04:24 PM
801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Aurora over my back yard"
In response to Reply # 1

Dallas, US

So cool! Never seen one like this. Great images.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #402 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.