Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #385
View in linear mode

Subject: "September Aurora w/ Big Dipper" Previous topic | Next topic
2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Sat 06-Oct-12 12:39 AM
848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"September Aurora w/ Big Dipper"

Anchorage, US

From the night of September 29 - 30, Turnagain Pass, Alaska.

D300 - 24mm /2.0 AI MF - ISO 800 - /2.0 - 1.3 sec - cable release w/ tripod.

The forecast for the Aurora was indicating huge numbers that night but all we got was a few bands and the anticipated displays did not show.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: September Aurora w/ Big Dipper
avm247 Moderator
06th Oct 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
06th Oct 2012
2pixels_short Gold Member
06th Oct 2012
2pixels_short Gold Member
06th Oct 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
07th Oct 2012
lastdaylight Gold Member
07th Oct 2012

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSat 06-Oct-12 01:42 AM
18362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: September Aurora w/ Big Dipper"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Great shot, Mike!

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 06-Oct-12 10:41 AM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: September Aurora w/ Big Dipper"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I like Ursa Major framed in the Aurora.

Did you try longer exposures? Just curious about the effect you might get.

Good lens for that shot. It would be interesting to see a star field shot on FX to see how that lens deals with the corners, that being the widest f/2 lens available, and for reasonable money.

my Nikonians gallery.

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Sat 06-Oct-12 06:57 PM
848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: September Aurora w/ Big Dipper"
In response to Reply # 2

Anchorage, US

Neil,
The Harvest Moon was kickin' our butts that night. Longer exposures were washed out even with lower ISO or higher -stops. You can see some of that in the lower portion of the image. There is a slight bluing of the sky.

I have shot the 24mm on the D700 for Aurora as well as the 28mm /2.0 AI MF. Both do fairly well wide open but there can be a bit of distortion of bright lights near the edges unless I stop down. I am not sure if it is barrel or CA I see but the lights appear to have what I call "bat wings". The distortion is present on both the D300 and D700 with the 24mm /2, the 28mm /2, and the 35mm /1.4. I have not checked it on my 50mm /1.4 (I have both the MF and AF-D versions).

The only fast lens I have that performs great wide open in the dark is the Noct-Nikkor 58mm /1.2. I will use the Noct if I am going for a small section of the Aurora display.

Here is one from the same night with the Noct on the D700 - 58mm /1.2 - ISO 1600 - .5sec. The moon was really difficult as longer exposures were showing "glow".

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Sat 06-Oct-12 07:05 PM
#4. "RE: September Aurora w/ Big Dipper"
In response to Reply # 3

Anchorage, US

The Aurora has to be really active to overcome the light of a 3/4 or greater Moon. I don't know why I keep trying to shoot in those conditions. It's like shooting at high noon.

But I keep trying and once in a while get a good image. And any night with Aurora is better than none.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 07-Oct-12 02:33 AM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: September Aurora w/ Big Dipper"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I wasn't thinking about the moon.

If the distortion is symmetrical then it is a bit of astigmatism. If the distortion looks like small comets, all pointed toward the optical center, then it is coma. My understanding is that wider than f/4 or so almost all lenses will show one or the other. Lenses are basically designed to have one or the other- it's a designer's choice.

Except the Noct of course . You are blessed to have that lens.

my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sun 07-Oct-12 03:58 AM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: September Aurora w/ Big Dipper"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Wonderful shots. So jealous of your location, having never seen the aurora. We'll have to experience it through your shots!

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #385 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.