Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #345
View in linear mode

Subject: "First Quarter Moon" Previous topic | Next topic
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSun 23-Sep-12 03:07 AM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"First Quarter Moon"

Rancho Cordova, US

Twilight with the sun now below the horizon, I thought I'd try at getting an good exposure of the moon.

I was rather pleased with the detail I was able to pull from the cropped image.

D700, 70-300D ED, 1/160s @ f/11

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 24-Sep-12 10:31 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: First Quarter Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

Very well done. I tried the moon with that lens before, but never got anything close to this. I was looking at the same thing this weekend, though upside down in my scope. I am looking into getting the adapter for my C90 and hopefully get something decent.

I did learn something about observing the moon through a scope. That baby is bright! I ordered a moon filter. Should be here in time for the full moon this weekend.

George

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 24-Sep-12 04:16 PM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: First Quarter Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nice job, Anthony! That's probably about as good as it gets with that lens.

my Nikonians gallery.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 24-Sep-12 10:01 PM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: First Quarter Moon"
In response to Reply # 2

Rancho Cordova, US

Thanks, Ned and Gary.

I've been using this lens backed off from 300mm; it just can't perform very well there, but I seem to be happier with results up to about 250mm and since I'll be cropping anyway, why not use it where it works best.

Still, I'd like to upgrade my telephoto...may to a 70-200 VR2 w/ 1.7 TC.

Anthony

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 24-Sep-12 10:03 PM
#4. "RE: First Quarter Moon"
In response to Reply # 2

Rancho Cordova, US

I know the moon is brighter than this, but as I brightened the image, I tended to lose detail so I kept it darker to help preserve the details.

Was this a good idea?

Anthony

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #345 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.