nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #213
View in linear mode

Subject: "International Space Station" Previous topic | Next topic
lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Wed 05-Sep-12 04:50 AM
830 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"International Space Station"

Dallas, US

New astrophotography forum - that's awesome! Thanks so much, Neil for making this happen.

My passion lately is trying to capture the International Space Station ISS in front of the sun. I read a great article by a master at this, Thierry Legault (www.astrophoto.fr) in Sky and Telescope, and I had to give that a try. Well, it turns out that a million things can go wrong, and they definitely will, but it's a blast.

First, let me re-emphasize (I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times before), never point a telescope at the sun without using a filter or other means of attenuation that is made specifically for this purpose and known to be safe. Just don't do it unless you are absolutely sure.

That said, go to calsky.org for predictions of passes near you, get to exactly the right place, point your telescope at the sun, and at exactly the right time snap a photo. Here's my latest from August 29.

D300, Explore Scientific 5 inch refractor (about 1000mm) with 1.4 TC, Baader Herschel Wedge, 1/8000 sec, ISO 200. The ISS was 459 km away, and took 0.6 seconds to transit the sun. I got two exposures in that time on CH.

And detail of the other exposure:

Anyway, if you enjoy a challenge, I highly recommend this type of weird behavior...

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: International Space Station
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
05th Sep 2012
lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
05th Sep 2012
archivue Gold Member
05th Sep 2012
lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
05th Sep 2012
archivue Gold Member
05th Sep 2012
gbowen Gold Member
05th Sep 2012
05th Sep 2012
pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows.
06th Sep 2012
06th Sep 2012
nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
11th Sep 2012
11th Sep 2012
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
12th Sep 2012

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 05-Sep-12 07:36 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Amazing image Mark! I love this stuff. Luckily I work with a bunch of nerds and geeks and someone will announce on the intercom when the ISS is passing overhead. It's pretty much visible to the naked eye (when it's not transiting the sun) and moves surprisingly fast. All the more impressive you were able to capture these. Congrats!

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Wed 05-Sep-12 03:27 PM
830 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 1

Dallas, US

Thanks Larry. It is amazing how it goes around every 90 minutes. I just wish I had started sooner while the shuttle was still flying. I love the shots (of others) that show the shuttle docked to the space station.

Mark Smith

My Nikonians Gallery

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Wed 05-Sep-12 08:41 AM
5525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 0

Paris, FR

Wow...! Very impressive!

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Wed 05-Sep-12 04:27 PM
#5. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 2

Dallas, US

Thanks Jacques. A French man is the master at this

Mark Smith

My Nikonians Gallery

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Wed 05-Sep-12 11:10 PM
5525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 5

Paris, FR

Thierry Legault maybe...

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2011Wed 05-Sep-12 11:38 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

Far out image! This is what I love about space. So much going on! You will never run out of things to observe and capture. Well done!

George

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Wed 05-Sep-12 04:28 PM
#6. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 3

Dallas, US

Thank you, George.

Mark

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Thu 06-Sep-12 01:25 AM
1035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

Geeky, nerdy and oh so cool. Love it!

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Thu 06-Sep-12 03:59 AM
#9. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 8

Dallas, US

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Thanks,

Mark Smith

My Nikonians Gallery

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004Tue 11-Sep-12 01:32 AM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Very well done! I was out of town and out of touch for a few days and missed this.

I think the imaging of the ISS or in the good ole' days, the Shuttle, transiting the sun, is the Mt Everest of astrophotography. It has to be the toughest subject anyone has come up with.

Thanks for the link to the site- I did not know that existed.

my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Tue 11-Sep-12 02:23 AM
#11. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 10

Dallas, US

Oh, I don't know... The list of tough subjects in astrophotography is as long as your arm. But, thanks very much. And, thanks again for taking the lead on this forum.

Mark

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 12-Sep-12 02:27 AM
8311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: International Space Station"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Gotta love it! Thanks for sharing that shot.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #213 Previous topic | Next topic