nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

International Space Station

lastdaylight

Dallas, US
836 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007
Wed 05-Sep-12 03:50 AM

New astrophotography forum - that's awesome! Thanks so much, Neil for making this happen.

My passion lately is trying to capture the International Space Station ISS in front of the sun. I read a great article by a master at this, Thierry Legault (www.astrophoto.fr) in Sky and Telescope, and I had to give that a try. Well, it turns out that a million things can go wrong, and they definitely will, but it's a blast.

First, let me re-emphasize (I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times before), never point a telescope at the sun without using a filter or other means of attenuation that is made specifically for this purpose and known to be safe. Just don't do it unless you are absolutely sure.

That said, go to calsky.org for predictions of passes near you, get to exactly the right place, point your telescope at the sun, and at exactly the right time snap a photo. Here's my latest from August 29.

D300, Explore Scientific 5 inch refractor (about 1000mm) with 1.4 TC, Baader Herschel Wedge, 1/8000 sec, ISO 200. The ISS was 459 km away, and took 0.6 seconds to transit the sun. I got two exposures in that time on CH.

Click on image to view larger version

And detail of the other exposure:
Click on image to view larger version

Anyway, if you enjoy a challenge, I highly recommend this type of weird behavior...

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: International Space Station