nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Astrophotography topic #15
View in linear mode

Subject: "Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!" First topic | Next topic
nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Thu 23-Aug-12 12:40 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"

For many years the staff has talked about the idea of this forum. It has finally come about

I will be acting as the forum moderator. By introduction I have had a lifelong interest in astronomy and astrophotography, going on almost 50 years now. I own a couple of Questar tescopes (3.5" and 7") as well as an 8" SCT that was also my first astronomy gear mistake (not a very good one, as these things go, I should have bought a Celestron!).

I am also a wildlife photographer, which requires long focal lengths. So I also have a big interest in using my wildlife gear for my astrophotography pursuits and for many things a conventional camera lens can be superior, or at least easier to accomplish the same objective.

Since the mid-80's I've dabbled in astrophotography. My main interest is in capturing unusual or special events such as eclipses, occultations and planetary alignments.

(an occultation is an event where one heavenly object passes in front of another. The close object is usually the sun or moon)

This can be a highly technical and very expensive avocation. My own knowledge and gear list is fairly limited but I know where to go to get the knowledge needed to pursue this. Wherever my knowledge is limited I will try to pass on authoritative references for further research.

Astronomy and astrophotography can also be quite simple. We are going to cast a big net here because we have members covering that huge expanse of knowledge and experience. I want to particularly welcome beginners and/or those with a passing interest.

For many of us, astrophotography will be a specialty interest and not the prime reason we are photographers. So don't worry about asking what you might think are "stupid" questions. There are no stupid questions about this subject and whatever you ask will be the same questions many others have.

My objective is to concentrate on the basics, and subjects that every photographer can deal with without large monetary outlays. A hobby like astronomy or astrophotography can seem to have a huge barrier to entry, mainly the knowledge needed to get one's bearings. This will be the initial focus of my own contributions to this forum.

Once again, welcome to our newest forum!

my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! RockyIII Gold Member
26th Aug 2012
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! jordivb
01st Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
01st Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! sneakybugger Silver Member
01st Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
01st Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! spiritualized67 Silver Member
06th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! kenuck Silver Member
08th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! RABaker
04th Oct 2012
04th Oct 2012
05th Oct 2012
     Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! profpb Silver Member
12th Nov 2013
13th Nov 2013
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
18th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! richardd300 Silver Member
18th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum! newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
21st Jan 2015

RockyIII Gold Member  Raleigh, US  Nikonian since 27th May 2006 Sun 26-Aug-12 02:44 AM
3113 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Great idea for a forum, and a great moderator!

Rocky

jordivb   Manresa, ES  Registered since 01st Mar 2009 Sat 01-Sep-12 12:12 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Great Idea!

Although I've done only little temptative astro pictures with my modest equipment, I'm sure I'll follow it with interest, although I'll be rather limited to contribute.
As deeply scientifically minded, I'm sure this forum will satisfy my curiosity and help learning many new things, specially with your experience. We coulnd't have a better moderator!

Good luck with the new Forum!!

Regards,

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Sat 01-Sep-12 02:43 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Jordi,

I for one would like to see images taken with "modest equipment". And I interpret that as the gear we all have to shoot whatever we primarily shoot.

There are a lot of good subjects to be shot with with very basic gear. Things like astronomical alignments of the planets, which are relatively easy to do. The trick there is to be up to date on the location of the planets as they move about the ecliptic.

my Nikonians gallery.

sneakybugger Silver Member  West Wodonga, AU  Nikonian since 14th Jul 2012 Sat 01-Sep-12 02:58 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey all,

i have always been a keen (although amateur) photographer, and astronomy is another fascination of mine. i am really looking forward to seeing this topic progress. whilst astrophotography can be very technical and time consuming, it can be very simplistic in ideas and is fun to experiment with. the lessons learnt with night/astrophotography can improve a persons photography skills across the board as it gives a better understanding of light, aperture, shutter speed blending together.

one question, will there be a contest for this topic, im looking forward to seeing and hearing other peoples stories and pics and how they achieved their results. since this is somewhat a new thread maybe the first one could be very broad e.g. 'the moon in all its forms'. ranging from the close-up isolated pics of single craters to a daytime pic that has the moon visible and anything in-between. just a suggestion.

cant wait to see and here more from this fourm

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Sat 01-Sep-12 03:16 PM
#5. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 4

>> will there be a contest for this topic,

Good idea . I'll work on that, and you have some good ideas for topics.

my Nikonians gallery.

spiritualized67 Silver Member  Western PA, US  Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007 Thu 06-Sep-12 09:01 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Congrats, Neil. I've been pushing to have a forum like this on Nikonians for years - so I'm glad to see that it has finally materialized.

Selfishly, I was hoping the forum would cover all forms of night photography - not just astrophotography, but that debate has already been hashed out, so I won't go there.

I assume that Aurora and Lunar Photography would be discussed in here, correct?

Again, congrats! You've proven yourself to be extremely knowledgeable in this area Neil, and I'm sure the community will benefit from your insights.

-Dan
www.danielstainer.com

kenuck Silver Member  Burnaby, CA  Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008 Sat 08-Sep-12 03:18 PM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Sep-12 02:44 PM by kenuck

Hi
Welcome - this sounds like a cool forum

I'm an old newbie (haven't posted in a long time) so let me know if I put my foot in my mouth.

I got the notification of the Astro forum and got me fired up to try some pictures. I've had a Questar for many years but have never been happy with SLR/DSLR pictures - too many mechanical things causing things to jiggle. Trying out my new Nikon V1 with no moving parts.

Ken

RABaker   Sunnyvale, US  Registered since 01st Oct 2003 Thu 04-Oct-12 03:06 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Neil,

I began my astrophotography journey by using my D200 but, after several months, I switched to a dedicated CCD astro-camera. Since this is a forum at Nikonians, should images be restricted to those that use Nikon gear or are other astroimages welcome?

Thanks,
Richard

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Thu 04-Oct-12 08:00 PM
#9. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 8

Hi Richard,

Your question is under consideration by the Team. I'll get back to you in a day or two or so.

my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Fri 05-Oct-12 08:46 PM
#10. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 12-Nov-13 09:18 PM by nrothschild

Hi Richard,

You have the green light on posting CCD Webcam images. See our policy statement here.

Includes: CCD Webcam, Astro CCD imagers

Excludes: Other brands of DSLR or SLR cameras and lenses

my Nikonians gallery.

profpb Silver Member  Venice, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2010 Tue 12-Nov-13 07:20 PM
89 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 10

Dennis Owens, a great Nikonian, just told me about this new forum.

I have been into this for many years as a scientist but recently I've joined the photographers of the night skies. I am currently retired but am a designated ASTROVIP for the national Parks.

I've been to the last three ANPATS shooting the Milkyway each time because as a Florida resident we do not have great night skies.
Nevertheless, I love astrophotography, and Neil, thank you for your efforts.

Dr. Buick

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Wed 13-Nov-13 01:27 PM
#12. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 11

Welcome aboard, Dr. Buick! Please feel free to post your ANPATS shots (or anything else of course!).

my Nikonians gallery.

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Frederick, US  Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009 Sat 18-Jan-14 02:17 PM
1603 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Neal,
It's been a few years since you sold me your 400P5 and I graduated away from that some time ago myself, but more recently I have been enamored by astrophotography so I am glad to find this forum here on Nikonians.

I'm still getting my feet wet and am going to concentrate on learning the details and finding ways of interfacing my cameras to the telescopes I already have access to through local clubs and personal friends. One friend of mine has a CPC100 and the NASA/GSFC Astro Club (which I just recently joined) has two 12" 'scopes at the observatory outside the Center.

I'll look forward to learning much here on this forum too.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.size>

richardd300 Silver Member  Dyserth, UK  Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009 Sat 18-Jan-14 02:38 PM
3679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 13

Neil. An excellent idea for a new forum and I look forward to seeing the posts. After a talk from an Astro Photographer at our club a few weeks ago I've taken an interest

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Neuville, near Quebec City, CA  Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006 Wed 21-Jan-15 12:59 PM
2010 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Great news Neil !

This will be an incentive to come back more often at Nikonians (and I have just retired to work full time in photography).

I'll certainly have questions about stacking

A great topic moderated by a great guy!

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Astrophotography topic #15First topic | Next topic