nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #140
View in linear mode

Subject: "Perseids this Weekend!" Previous topic | Next topic
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Mon 06-Aug-12 07:50 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Perseids this Weekend!"

Livermore, CA, US

It's that time of year, the Perseid Meteors are back! Actually they never left, but Planet Earth is back among the Perseids and we're along for the ride.

Peak of the meteor shower is in the wee hours of the morning on the 12th & 13th, which translates to next Sunder & Monday mornings, although if the sky is clear then you will be able to see meteors any time it's dark.

I took last year off due to a near-full moon, but here's our thread from 2010 which has a lot of great info:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=162&topic_id=53589

This year a waning crescent moon rising at 1:31 AM on Sunday and 2:23 on Monday should allow for some excellent dark skies for those who can get away from the city lights.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Perseids this Weekend!
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
08th Aug 2012
GiantTristan Silver Member
10th Aug 2012
Robman3
10th Aug 2012
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
12th Aug 2012
Robman3
13th Aug 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
14th Aug 2012
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer
15th Aug 2012
GiantTristan Silver Member
15th Aug 2012
20th Aug 2012
20th Aug 2012

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 08-Aug-12 09:40 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Perseids this Weekend!"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Nobody with any plans?

This year I rented the 24mm f/1.4 for use on my D800 and 10.5mm DX fisheye for D7000.

This is my best shot from 2010 at Crater Lake, D300 with Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, combining 2 shots, one 30" for the foreground, one 13" ISO 1600 for the star field.

The (FX) rule of thumb to freeze star motion is 500/focal length. In the above case, 24mm on DX = 36mm on FX so 500/36 = 13.8". Setting exposure for 13" I opened the aperture all the way (f/1.4), used live view to manually focus on a bright star, then determined what ISO setting would give the exposure I wanted. Then I just set my intervalometer to continuously run that exposure, and kicked back to enjoy the show.

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 10-Aug-12 06:04 PM
1975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Perseids this Weekend!"
In response to Reply # 1

Stamford, US

I shall be in NE PA this weekend where it is nice and dark. Will be using D700, Zeiss 25/2, f/2, 20", iso 1600. This is provided I can get out of bed and the skies are clear.

Tristan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 10-Aug-12 10:04 PM
1842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Perseids this Weekend!"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 12-Aug-12 08:32 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Flipping a coin, it's averaging 120 degrees in Death Valley (126 yesterday) I really want some D800 video of the heat waves rising from the desert pavement, might dovetail then, we will see.

50mm f/1.4 prime and AF, 28mm f/2.8, D3S and D800 in tow, MC-36 as well.

Have fun!

Rob

EDIT: Wife said no to DVNP for now, backyard tonight, then up to Mullholland drive, between Malibu State Park and Leo Carrillo tomorrow.

Thanks for the link, great stuff!

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSun 12-Aug-12 05:56 PM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Perseids this Weekend!"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Saw a few shooting stars last night, didn't catch any images, though. Still, it was fun.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Mon 13-Aug-12 07:50 PM
1842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Perseids this Weekend!"
In response to Reply # 4

West of Santa Monica, US

Same...

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 14-Aug-12 06:36 AM
#6. "RE: Perseids this Weekend!"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Here's one of about a dozen Perseids I managed to capture. This was taken in Yosemite at Glacier Point, with Half Dome as the intended foreground subject. Having a singular subject I found made it more difficult to be happy with position of the meteor, compared to the Crater Lake shot above in which it pretty much worked anywhere.

Also, there is a fair amount of light pollution in Yosemite and this is visible in that not nearly as many stars are visible, and the sky near the horizon has a greenish hue.

This was taken with D7000 & 10.5mm f/2.8 DX fisheye. The 180º field of view was the only way I could include Half Dome to the north, and the Milky Way which was above and behind me. Clouds weren't cooperating here but I have others to be processed which have a clear sky. But, this probably was my best meteor of the night...

D7000 + Nikkor 10.5mm DX fisheye, f/2.8 30" ISO 2500

(BTW this looks really weird and purple but I'm in the process of building a new computer and haven't profiled the monitor yet. Please let me know how the colors look at the other end!)

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 15-Aug-12 02:15 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Perseids this Weekend!"
In response to Reply # 6

Phoenix, US

Super work. Just as you previsualized, I imagine. I think the colors may be off a bit but you should be able to nail it when you get your environment dialed in.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 15-Aug-12 05:24 PM
1975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Perseids this Weekend!"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

Well - I took 120 shots over a period of two hours with the camera pointed NW, away from the moon. Half of the pictures were ruined by clouds, but I caught one meteor. Conditions were as described in post#2

Tristan

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Mon 20-Aug-12 01:55 AM
#9. "RE: Perseids this Weekend!"
In response to Reply # 8

Livermore, CA, US

Cool capture Tristan! Thanks for sharing it.

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Mon 20-Aug-12 02:03 AM
#10. "RE: Perseids this Weekend!"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Here's another one from Glacier Point. This one with D800 & Nikkor 24mm f/1.4. LiveView was used to manually focus on a bright star. The foreground & Half Dome happened to be lightly illuminated by cars passing the switchbacks down to the parking lot, as was the case in many frames. This was not the biggest or brightest meteor I captured, but it was the best placed. It take this as a lesson that in future shoots I'll probably get more frames I like if I choose a less singular foreground element. There's actually a 2nd meteor in this pic but it's faint and difficult to see in this size. It's nearly vertical and just to the right of the cluster of stars near center, which I believe is Perseus' belt.

D800 Nikkor 24mm f/1.4 @ 15" f/1.4 ISO 1250 1:07 AM August 12

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #140 Previous topic | Next topic