nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #52
View in linear mode

Subject: "Future 3rd Party Adapters for Nikon?" Previous topic | Next topic
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 27-Jan-12 03:24 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Future 3rd Party Adapters for Nikon?"

Monterey Bay, US

I wonder if a third party can make a Full Function Lens Adapter for the 1 Nikon System?

My better F-mount glass already gives me better still images,
but I need more than a single point for movies.
I also need face recognition.
And, of course tracking would be good for both movies and chasing little birds in flight.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 27-Jan-12 03:47 PM
10873 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Future 3rd Party Adapters for Nikon?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 27-Jan-12 03:49 PM by Covey22

US

Because Nikon had to build new Stepping Motors for the CX mount, it's more a matter of available battery power to drive the lenses to the focus point than anything else. These slimline batts are already quite on the thin side in terms of available shots per charge (relative to DSLR and compacts). Any different adapter would have to improve on this condition to sell better than the FT-1.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 27-Jan-12 04:15 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Future 3rd Party Adapters for Nikon?"
In response to Reply # 1

Monterey Bay, US

The V1 uses the same battery as the D7000.
It has no problem driving F-mount lens.

I see a bigger problem with the pin setup.
What are the extra pins on the CX mount for?
Can they be rerouted through an adapter to get multiple focus points, Full time AutoFocus and Tracking?
Or is that a Firmware issue?

I notice the D4 has these attributes with the F-mount.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 27-Jan-12 07:15 PM
29324 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Future 3rd Party Adapters for Nikon?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, UK

I doubt that any restriction is in the adapter itself - more likely it's something in the camera firmware.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 27-Jan-12 08:06 PM
#4. "RE: Future 3rd Party Adapters for Nikon?"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

Thanks for chiming in Brian.
You are always very careful about being technically correct.

The firmware upgrade in order to use the FT-1 is a good hint.
And it also shows that this adapter was an afterthought for Nikon 1 Engineers.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #52 Previous topic | Next topic