nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #364
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!" Previous topic | Next topic
walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Wed 20-Nov-13 10:00 PM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"

Pennsylvania, US

Now this is interesting. I was wondering if Nikon would begin marketing new native N1 lenses to their N1 cameras to take advantage of the 2.7 crop for wildlife/bird shooters. Here is a new patent published today for a Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 N1 lens. Looks like this is on someone's mind at Nikon also.Twenty elements in 13 groups with 6 ED lenses. Hmmmmm.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!
Ginsbury Gold Member
21st Nov 2013
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
21st Nov 2013
Ginsbury Gold Member
21st Nov 2013
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
21st Nov 2013
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
21st Nov 2013
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
22nd Nov 2013
22nd Nov 2013
walk43 Gold Member
24th Nov 2013
25th Nov 2013
walk43 Gold Member
25th Nov 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
05th Dec 2013
05th Dec 2013
Matto Silver Member
05th Mar 2014
walk43 Gold Member
05th Dec 2013
ChristianF Gold Member
07th Dec 2013
ChristianF Gold Member
07th Dec 2013
walk43 Gold Member
07th Dec 2013
critidoc Silver Member
05th Mar 2014
KnightPhoto Gold Member
08th Mar 2014
adcam Gold Member
13th Mar 2014
KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Mar 2014
Matto Silver Member
14th Mar 2014
KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Mar 2014
KnightPhoto Gold Member
24th Mar 2014
24th Mar 2014
critidoc Silver Member
10th Apr 2014
Ginsbury Gold Member
10th Apr 2014
stappy Gold Member
15th Apr 2014

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 21-Nov-13 01:32 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 0

Netanya, IL

One can get the same reach using a V1, FT1 and nn-300 mm lens, i.e., EFL of 810 mm. BTDT!

Nathan

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 21-Nov-13 02:08 PM
7076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 1

Wethersfield, US

Yes, but presumably such a lens designed for the CX mount would be substantially smaller than the combination of the FT-1 with a 300-mm F-mount lens. It would also remove the restriction of AF to the middle sensor and the other limitations that the FT-1 imposes.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 21-Nov-13 02:14 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 2

Netanya, IL

Understood - but factor in the dollars and cents! CX lenses are never cheap.

Nathan

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 21-Nov-13 08:15 PM
10877 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 3

US

18.5mm is the reverse of that statement.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 21-Nov-13 09:06 PM
7076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 3

Wethersfield, US

I wasn't suggesting I was going to run out and buy one (if it ever exists)! Just that there might be reasons why some users would find it worth having.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 22-Nov-13 01:51 PM
10877 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 5

US

For an effective 200-800, it will need to have some sort of tripod mount. At the long end of that range, the lightness of the setup is actually a detriment. However, putting up a tripod mount also contradicts the portability of the system. They'd do better putting up some fast wides that didn't break the bank. If they could that for say an effective 24 or even an 18 prime equivalent that was affordable like the 18.5, well, I'd be the first to get one.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 22-Nov-13 04:50 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 6

Wethersfield, US

If the question is, "what CX lenses would you like to see Nikon make," this hypothetical 70-300 isn't on my list, for the reasons both Armando and Nathan have given. Plus, its front lens element couldn't be all that much smaller than that of the FX 70-300 and still be an f/5.6 lens. But it's interesting to see what Nikon is working on in the labs.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 24-Nov-13 12:25 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 6

Pennsylvania, US

Armando,

I don't know what you mean by "for an effective 200-800 it will need to have some kind of tripod mount".

There are many, many of us using the 70-300VR with an effective 189-810mm FOV (Thom Hogan included) who find that hand holding the V1 with a 300mm VR lens is very doable with very acceptable results.

I have always respected your opinion so you have me confused. Can you explain please??

Dan

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 25-Nov-13 02:54 AM
#9. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 8

US

As one of my wise mentors said, just because you can handhold it doesn't mean you should. At super-tele (greater than 400mm), I will brace for good measure. Also, VR whether native CX or via FT-1 is fine in good light. Bracing for very long shots in low light would benefit from the mount.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Mon 25-Nov-13 12:56 PM
#10. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 9

Pennsylvania, US

Thanks for the clarification Armando. When you said "for an effective 200-800" I thought you meant for an effective 200-800 'result' and I now realize you meant for an effective 200-800 'focal length'.

I certainly agree that a support system of some type should always be capable of producing a better image, especially at longer FL's.

For my 'pleasure' in this hobby there are times when I just like to be free to hand hold and still get acceptable results. The V1/V2 FT-1 70-300VR combo gives me that capability with an 800mm FL on walkabouts in the field and I get shots I could not have otherwise.

The picture below (though it is not great) is of a yellow billed cuckoo where I had literally 5 minutes to grab my camera and run out to our tree line and shoot. We have lived in W. PA for 45 years and my wife and I have never seen this bird in the open before. It was working a tree line for wild cherries 250ft behind our house one evening. Without the V1/70-300mm combo handheld I would not have got this picture ... or a picture of the pair mating up in the tree.

I like having a combo that allows me to gets shots that I otherwise would have missed. I keep my D800 with my 105VR at the ready for quick bug macros around our yard and the V1 combo for quick bird shots. When I have the time and subject matter, I use support systems regardless of the FL.

Dan

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 05-Dec-13 04:21 AM
4464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 10

Alberta, CA

Amazing shot Dan, YBCU is on my bucket list!

Apparently someone who reads Japanese indicated the patent includes two fluorite elements as well. The only other Nikkor like that I can think of is the. 800mm lens.

I.e. The patent is for a seriously top notch lens. Hard to believe Nikon would actually build this, but if they would this would be a very popular combination in birding circles.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 05-Dec-13 01:51 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I suspect this lens will break the bank for most of us - just like the 32mm f1.2 CX. The cost of such lenses is what's limiting growth and market expansion of the product

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Wed 05-Mar-14 12:36 AM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 12

Glenwood, US

Armando
I agree that with the numerous special glass and fluorite elements this lens is going to be very expensive, possible approaching some of the exotic lenses in price. Probably way beyond my budget.

Matthew

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Thu 05-Dec-13 02:12 PM
#13. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 11

Pennsylvania, US

Thanks for the kind words Steve.

For me, the best things about the V1/70-300 combo are the 'reach', VR stability and the high electronic/silent shutter rate.

This bird was hopping around from tree to tree and was about 5-10 feet inside the tree line with only occasional casts of light getting in. I saw it lift off a branch and I held down the shutter release. This image was the best of the sequence due to the tail spread and rather clear 'eye' focus...all things considered. I actually had to back off the FL a little because I couldn't originally find the bird in the dark shade so I zoomed out for more light and wider FOV just before it too off.

Now if the V3, or whatever they call it, just gets better ISO performance, more MP's and stays with the same battery as the V1, I will be a happy camper as I wait in line.

Dan

ChristianF Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2007Sat 07-Dec-13 03:44 AM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 13

Montreal, CA

I know what you mean. This Cooper's hawk landed near my feeders and the closest thing at hand was my N1 V1 fitted with the FT-1 and my Nikon DX 18-200mm. I shot a few frames with the electronic shutter and since the hawk was still perched, I ran for my D600 which had the 70-200mm f2.8/TC20E III attached. By the time I got back the branch was vacant. Not the best IQ but, this type of opportunity does not happen very often. First time in my 22 years here. I'm glad the rig was near by and my reach was an effective 540mm. ISO 1400; f5.6; 1/250s

Christian,
www.ChristianFritschi.com

Welcome to my Gallery:

ChristianF Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2007Sat 07-Dec-13 03:52 AM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 10

Montreal, CA

@Walk43 Very nice capture, BTW.

Christian,
www.ChristianFritschi.com

Welcome to my Gallery:

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 07-Dec-13 02:31 PM
#16. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 15
Sat 07-Dec-13 02:32 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Thanks Christian...I absolutely love the Coopers with the feathers blowing (or being displayed). When I first started taking pictures of birds, I was happy to get a good shot of a bird sitting and having good feather detail. Then... after a while... I satisfied that 'need' and now really appreciate the action shots (or position variations)so much more. I see in your gallery you must also like the action shots when 'birding' and you have some really nice shots. Keep up the good work!

Dan

critidoc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007Wed 05-Mar-14 10:57 AM
218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 16

Kingsville, US

Per nikon rumors....nikon is announcing this lens mid March.
If this is true and the lens is reasonably priced, I would get one.
My recent experiences with the AW1 at 15 fps would make this combo a killer bird system.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 08-Mar-14 04:20 PM
4464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Well we should know this week. Going to be very interesting!

I do want to get a 300mm with VR sharper than the 70-300/FT-1 combo I have been using. Personally I had also been saving for an FX 300mm f/4 VR for use on FX, DX, and CX so we may be facing a hard decision, depending on pricing and quality!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Thu 13-Mar-14 06:06 PM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

Nice lens but at almost $1K it is out of my league.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 14-Mar-14 02:33 AM
#21. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

I got myself on my dealers list for this lens, so I expect I'll be amongst the first locally with it. Nikon Canada price is an extra hundred, so $1099 here. I see Nikon Rumors predicting April 17th availability. My dealer hadn't any inkling yet when I talked to them about availability.

I'm not familiar with a 20/60 LPM MTF chart so hard to say what that is telling us so far. I found the low-res Nikon sample photos on Nikon Canada but to tell the truth they didn't look excellent.

Personally the lens price is on the low end of what I feared so I'm OK with it considering Super-ED glass and Nano-coating. That's not a lot of dough assuming we can eke out some sharpness and the fact I expect I will use it a lot. Typically, I schlepp around one or two big FX bodies and my 500 f/4 VR plus 1.4/1.7 teleconverters all morning, and then if doing any afternoon hiking I'll tend to strap on my V1, FT-1, and FX 70-300 currently. So I expect to get some decent use out of the lens, and I expect to continue to own the Nikon 1 system for a long time and this lens will still be in use when I get a V5 and V7

I never did get a V2 camera, skipped a generation, and plan to get a V3 kit a month or two after digesting this lens purchase. The camera looks very promising and for me, I get the 1 system, I love a fast everything camera. I also do as much video as time permits and hope to be doing a lot of video filming this year with my 1-system, my FX cams, and maybe a slider (love the slider look).

I'm DX-less currently as the combination of a D800E and Nikon 1 killed my need for DX, but I still might plan re-acquiring a DX camera and perhaps a medium telephoto 300 f/4 VR. My dream lens is the patented FX 50-300 f/2.8-4 but it may be years before we ever see the light of day on that one. So it looks like this year is my Nikon 1 year at least for now. I can tell you this, if the "D400" had all the DNA of the Nikon 1 system I'd move mountains to get it, but if it's a conventional D400 I wouldn't rush to get it and may even prefer a D7200. Anyhow looks like events are heading me further down the Nikon 1 path and wait and see on the DX path.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Fri 14-Mar-14 02:08 PM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 21

Glenwood, US

I looked at the MTF chart on the Nikon website. It looks very good on the short end but shows some loss at 300mm . It is typical of almost all zoom tele lenses to show a loss of resolution at the long end, but how much this lens will have in actual is something I can't say.

Matthew

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 14-Mar-14 02:14 PM
#23. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 22
Fri 14-Mar-14 02:17 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

It's (I think) astigmatism when the main 60 LPM resolution line remains sharp across the frame at the tele end, but the Meridonal line is the one that drops off. This has a specific meaning that some will be able to predict from. I'll post back if I come across a better meaning. I believe one impact is the bokeh in the corners will not be as nice at full zoom.

Also MTF charts are normally 10/30 LPM and this chart is 20/60 LPM which has some significance as well, but not sure what.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 24-Mar-14 02:24 AM
#24. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 23

Alberta, CA

Dimension comparison for those of us currently using the FX 70-300:

Nikon 1 70-300:
Minimum Focus Distance: 3.3 ft. (1.0 m) (at 70 mm focal length), 5.2 ft. (1.6 m) (at 300mm focal length)
Filter Size: 62mm
Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length): 2.8 in. (73 mm) x 4.2 in. (108 mm)
Approx. Weight 19.4 oz.: (550 g)

FX Nikon 70-300:
Minimum Focus Distance 4.9 ft. (1.5m)
Filter Size 67mm
Approx. Dimensions 80 x 143.5mm (Diameter x Length)
Approx. Weight 745g

The Nikon 1 70-300 is 1/4" smaller diameter, 1.4" shorter length (at 70mm), and .43 of a pound lighter.

Factor in the FT-1 figures:
Dimensions - Approx. 61.5 mm diameter (excluding projections) x 42.5 mm
Weight - Approx. 150 g/5.3 oz
and the Nikon 1 70-300 is a full 3" shorter length (at 70mm), and .76 of a pound lighter.

Counting the addition of native Nikon-1 focal point selection capability (as opposed to centre-point only), Nano-coating, and Super-ED glass (present only on the 200mm f/2 and 80-400mm VRII up until now) and an interesting package,

Focus speed and accuracy and sharpness still need to be evaluated of course.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 24-Mar-14 10:05 AM
#25. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 24

Wethersfield, US

Good stuff, Steve. The CX 70-300 looks very interesting for those who are looking to their Nikon 1 camera for super-telephoto uses.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

critidoc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007Thu 10-Apr-14 10:00 AM
218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 25

Kingsville, US

the MTF charts on the tele end look disappointing for resolution. Hope that the sample shots they have were taken at 300mm and not on the short end.

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 10-Apr-14 10:26 PM
#27. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 26

Netanya, IL

I must admit to being a tad confused. Is this lens in the shops? Has anyone actually touched/seen/used one?

The word was that it (and the V3) will be available on April 17, subsequently postponed to April 24 - so I thought.

Nathan
My pix: www.nr-ginsbury.com

stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009Tue 15-Apr-14 08:07 PM
225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Nikon Patent for N1 70-300 lens !!"
In response to Reply # 27
Wed 16-Apr-14 02:30 PM by stappy

Alexandria, US

NikonRumors says the V3 will be available on 17 April but that the 70-300 will not ship until June.
However, Amazon has both listed as going to be released on 17 April.
Keep in mind, B&H is closed for holidays and will not reopen until 24 April. Maybe that is were you're getting the postponed date.

Brian

Edit: on 16 April Amazon has updated the release date of the 70-300 to 24 April; the V3 remains as 17 April.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #364 Previous topic | Next topic