Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #26
View in linear mode

Subject: "10 mm lens?" Previous topic | Next topic
jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Fri 02-Dec-11 03:06 PM
700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"10 mm lens?"

Banning, US

Other than compactness is there any other practical value in having the 10mm if you hae the 10-30 on a V1?

At these lens/sensors sizes does the added small wider f stop add anything in practical image production?

Basically wondering if it is worth buying other than compactness.

Jerry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 10 mm lens?
wblink
02nd Dec 2011
agitater Gold Member
02nd Dec 2011
TomCurious
02nd Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
03rd Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
10th Jul 2012
jerry r Silver Member
03rd Dec 2011
VR8 Silver Member
10th Apr 2012

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Fri 02-Dec-11 04:28 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 10 mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Gendt, NL

>Other than compactness is there any other practical value in
>having the 10mm if you hae the 10-30 on a V1?
>
>At these lens/sensors sizes does the added small wider f stop
>add anything in practical image production?
>
>Basically wondering if it is worth buying other than
>compactness.
>
>Jerry

It is 2.8, so somewhat more options to play with (un)sharpness. Whish Nikon would do some 1.4 or even better lenses for the V1.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 02-Dec-11 11:31 PM
4147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 10 mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

>Other than compactness is there any other practical value in
>having the 10mm if you hae the 10-30 on a V1?

It's a wonderful prime which has somewhat less edge distortion that the 10-30 and much less than the 10-110. It's also fast enough at f/2.8 to make low light shooting much more interesting - the wider aperture lets you see what's going on when looking through the V1 viewfinder, the camera has more light to work with and can therefore get a good focus lock much more easily, and at f/2.8 you've got the opportunity to use a shallower depth of field than the 1 Nikkor zooms can provide. The 10mm prime also provides better bokeh than either of the zooms.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Fri 02-Dec-11 11:39 PM
2330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 10 mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

I have both. As was pointed out, the 10mm prime is a bit faster (larger aperture), but from what I have seen in the images, this is not all that meaningful. I have shot the 10mm lens at f/2.8 and f/3.5 and there is not much difference. And this was not the reason why I bought the 10mm lens. Comparing images between the 10mm and the 10-30, even at the same aperture like f/3.5, there is a noticeable difference though. The prime is sharper and has better bokeh. That, and the faster handling (no need to unlock the zoom) are the primary reasons why I prefer it over the 10-30. I usually go out with the 10 and 30-110mm lenses, or just the 10. That's not to say the 10-30 is bad, it is actually very good, just that the 10 is even better.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 03-Dec-11 01:06 AM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 10 mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 03-Dec-11 01:23 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I bought the 10mm simply because it was on sale.
At $150 it was too cheap to resist.
I have not tried it yet, but sure I will because the V1 seems to be ISO limited.
But, I am looking forward to using my 35 f/1.8DX with a future FT-1 adapter and new CX lens as well.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 10-Jul-12 06:22 AM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 10 mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

Quote>I have not tried it yet, but sure I will because the V1 seems
to be ISO limited.<Quote<<<

I've tried it and it is definitely better than the 10-30, especially for landscape and portrait use.
However I still use the 10-30 more because of the zoom range.
And, the V1 + 10-30 still fits in my large pockets.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Sat 03-Dec-11 01:09 AM
700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 10 mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 03-Dec-11 01:13 AM by jerry r

Banning, US

Tom & Howard

Thanks for your input. you have confirmed what I suspected and shall add the 10mm to our growing collection (Two V1's, his & hers with the 10-30 and 30-110) let alone our his & hers D7000's and other DSLR's. Hope it isn't that much better than the 10-30 or we'll end up with two 10mm's. Sharing does not seem to be an option when shooting.

I wish the 10mm had been a 1.8 or there-abouts. Actually a 1.8 at about 20 mm or 30 mm would be nice.

Now for the wide angle zoom!!!! Hope that it is soon.

Jerry

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Tue 10-Apr-12 11:40 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 10 mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

I have said this elsewhere but the 10mm is superb. I also have the 30-110 and I find it less responsive and hence more challenging like using a normal point and shoot. I am trying to modify the settings e.g. VR to see if this helps. That said on my website rakmilphotography.com, Walkabout in Ottawa was all taken with the 30-110 and the posting yesterday on Toronto all taken with the 10 mm.
The 10mm is fast, responsive and really makes the V1 a discrete camera. The 30-110 is slower to respond and not as accurate in framing given a VR bounce. More over the 30-110 takes time to turn on and adjust. I am getting better at it, but it is slow. When the weather clears and I have subjects my next test will be of the FT-1 with the DX 35mm. My assumption is the camera is best suited for primes.

Visit my website both D300and VI pictures (even some nikkormat and FTN shots).

Victor

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #26 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.