Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #198
View in linear mode

Subject: "Don't you like wide-angle?" Previous topic | Next topic
wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Thu 23-Aug-12 07:17 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Don't you like wide-angle?"

Gendt, NL

Hi,

I changed my Nikon D3X with 18-24 (among others) for my Nikon V1.
I don't regret it: the physical weight of the D3X was too much, especially when traveling.
The V1 is rather good (cannot compare to the D3X) but that was my choice).

The V1 is a marvel with tele, but I would like a wide-angle like 7 mm.

Nikon, why not???????

Willem

Sony Nex-7

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Don't you like wide-angle?
nwcs Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
FredB D3 Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
24th Aug 2012
FredB D3 Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
nwcs Silver Member
26th Aug 2012
supergimp Silver Member
13th Sep 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
04th Dec 2012

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 24-Aug-12 03:28 PM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Don't you like wide-angle?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Now that's quite a change! But definitely a huge weight difference and having the D800 and the V1 I know what you mean. The quality difference, for many things, isn't much for certain types of output.

Yeah, the 10mm seems a bit too arbitrary. I'm hoping that it isn't due to the CX mount. I do think we'll see a few more lenses pop up for the 1 series, though. It's sold well enough to justify that. But Nikon doesn't seem to think of these as pro tools. So we might have to rely on third party vendors to fill the gap.

I've read that Sigma and Tamron have patented some designs that might work on the 1 series. I'm hoping that's a sign that they'll have something in the next year.

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Fri 24-Aug-12 05:52 PM
812 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Don't you like wide-angle?"
In response to Reply # 1

Potomac, US

> But Nikon doesn't seem to think of these as
>pro tools.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but what can I say? An usher at a Wolf Trap performance told me I could not take pictures with my V1 (from the audience, fairly far back) because the camera was "too professional."

Fred
Maryland, USA

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 24-Aug-12 06:45 PM
10406 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Don't you like wide-angle?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

An usher at a Wolf Trap performance told me I could not take pictures with my V1 (from the audience, fairly far back) because the camera was "too professional."

Because the lens was too large? Because it had an EVF? This is the advantage of having a non-descript camera, but even then, house rules are house rules, and they can be as vague or as detailed as they want and get to enforce it arbitrarily.

If I have to enter a venue where I know cameras might be marginally accepted, I always try to make the camera I'm bringing as small as possible, and if the screeners/ushers aren't particularly camera savvy, usually I can get by. I once managed to sneak in an 80-200 in someone's purse, and I had a dinky 50mm attached to the smallest SLR body I had. Once I'm in the audience and relatively shielded by darkness as the lights go down - I'll swap with the good stuff.

Same-same with the J1. It helps that there is no EVF on it. With the 10-30, it doesn't look any bigger than a typical P&S. I even hid the 1 brand by putting a Flipbac grip on it. If I had the 10mm prime, I'd leave that mounted.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sat 25-Aug-12 03:15 PM
812 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Don't you like wide-angle?"
In response to Reply # 3

Potomac, US

Hi Armando,

I think the basic reason, in this instance, is that it was not a point and shoot. Previously (same venue) different ushers prohibited "long lenses." I caught wind of that once prior to the performance, and got the O.K. to use the 10-30mm showing the usher that the coverage would be limited to approximately the entire stage, and that I could not isolate a single performer. So there is really little consistency. Next year, as we are members, I am going to ask the person in charge of membership to spell out their policy, if there is one beyond what the artist requires (almost always "no flash, or video or audio recording," and see if there is a way I can get a pass to photograph as an amateur photographer in the audience.

It is all kind of arbitrary and nonsensical. Someone sitting up front would not need a "long lens" to isolate a single individual; P&S cameras do have telephoto (technically as opposed to a "long lens," and maybe I am showing my old-school thinking - zoom capabilities, and I can even put such an adapter on my iPhone.

Three other points:
1. I have never been stopped before I have gotten a number of photos; maybe "they" don't like to see someone using a camera that is more advanced than a P&S throughout the performance.
2. I no longer keep the lens shade on the lens.
3. I strayed from my plan (with the 30-110), and might have made the mistake of taking a couple of vertical shots signaling that I was isolating an individual.

Fred
Maryland, USA

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 26-Aug-12 01:30 AM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Don't you like wide-angle?"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

Definitely arbitrary but without a lens attached the V1/J1&2 look a lot like a point and shoot. Maybe have the lenses in other places? OK, enough hijacking.

supergimp Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2008Thu 13-Sep-12 06:06 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Don't you like wide-angle?"
In response to Reply # 5

Los Angeles, US

Back on topic...

I'm recently fascinated with aerial photography using some sophisticated quad- and hex-copters currently on the market. Lot's of people are shooting video using the GoPro cameras, but I am more interested in high-quality stills. I'm vacillating between a Nikon 1 camera, which would give me consistency for normal use with my other Nikon gear and the added joy of adapting my AF-S stuff (although not for aerial) or going Micro-4/3.

I guess the concerning factor is field of view given the available lens selection and relative crop factor of the CX v. M-4/3 formats.

Is anyone shooting wide landscapes with their Nikon 1? and is the wide angle lens selection really as limited as it seems? I've really only been seriously considering this choice for a short period of time and so I'm hoping I'm missing something when I see no good wide angle options for Nikon 1.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 04-Dec-12 04:50 AM
3085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Don't you like wide-angle?"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

When I got my first FullFrame (D3) camera, I thought I would have to go out and buy longer lens.
Just the opposite, I fell in love with wide angle.

Now that I have a V1 it is the DOF.
The lens I put on only needs to be wide enough to get everything in.
I am not in the waiting line for a new 6-8mm CX lens, nor a 200mm one.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #198 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.