Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #166
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
GilesW Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2010Tue 24-Jul-12 03:03 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
Tue 24-Jul-12 03:09 PM by GilesW

Edinburgh, GB

My favourite lens on my D700 is a 20mm f/4 AI. To get similar coverage with a 1 Series camera would require a 7mm lens. In theory this could be obtained with a 0.7x wide angle adaptor on a 10mm pancake or zoom lens.

I use a Raynox DCR-730 on an consumer HD camcorder, which it is a good match for, but I may need to upgrade for best results with a Nikon V1.

Has anyone tried any high quality w/a adaptors (e.g. Raynox DCR-6600PRO) with CX lenses, and the 10mm pancake in particular?

Giles

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses
GilesW Silver Member
24th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
24th Jul 2012
GilesW Silver Member
24th Jul 2012
GilesW Silver Member
26th Jul 2012
kenuck Silver Member
28th Sep 2012
kenuck Silver Member
28th Sep 2012
GilesW Silver Member
26th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
26th Jul 2012
GilesW Silver Member
26th Jul 2012
kenuck Silver Member
28th Sep 2012
dta116 Gold Member
16th Dec 2012
dta116 Gold Member
07th Jan 2013

GilesW Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2010Tue 24-Jul-12 05:13 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Edinburgh, GB

Answering my own question, I see that these are usually called Wide Converters etc.

I find that a dpreview blog says that the 'Panasonic Lumix wide converter DMW-LW46 works very well on the Nikon 10mm f2.8 lens'. See:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1058&message=41627185

I will do some more checking before I part with any more money.

Giles

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 24-Jul-12 07:00 PM
10673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Generally speaking, you could probably use any wide-angle adaptor from any maker - Olympus made some very nice ones for their fixed lens SLR way back in the day, and Raynox has a wide selection. As long as it's larger than the front filter thread of the lens (i.e., greater than 40.5mm), then you avoid vignetting. You'll just need to use a step-up ring of sorts to connect them together.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

GilesW Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2010Tue 24-Jul-12 08:41 PM
#3. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

Edinburgh, GB

Thanks

I am interested to know what conclusions people have come to about the trade-offs of performance vs size, weight, compatibility with the dedicated flash, and cost.

A concern is that larger converters that work well with 28mm (equiv) lenses might cast shadows with the V1's dedicated flash. Not yet having the flash I cannot check this for myself. I might have to sacrifice flash compatibility for optical performance, and hope that an extension shoe for the flash or an adaptor for other flashes eventually becomes available.

Giles

GilesW Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2010Thu 26-Jul-12 10:16 PM
#6. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 26-Jul-12 10:19 PM by GilesW

Edinburgh, GB

(reply in wrong place, so deleted)

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Fri 28-Sep-12 06:50 AM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 28-Sep-12 06:53 AM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

>Generally speaking, you could probably use any wide-angle
>adaptor from any maker - Olympus made some very nice ones for
>their fixed lens SLR way back in the day, and Raynox has a
>wide selection. As long as it's larger than the front filter
>thread of the lens (i.e., greater than 40.5mm), then you avoid
>vignetting. You'll just need to use a step-up ring of sorts to
>connect them together.

One thing to watch out for is the weight of the conversion lens to make sure that you don't exceed the 386g maximum for the V1/J1's mount. I happen to have an old Sony 0.7x wide conversion lens that I used on a camcorder. It had 52mm threads and I have a 40.5 to 52mm step-up ring (so I could use 52mm filters). The 10-30mm lens weighs 120g and the wide conversion lens weighs 191g for a total of 311g so its under the limit. However, the zoom mechanism on the lens was not happy with the extra weight on the front - became quite stiff so I have to support the conversion lens. Also, even though I stepped up to a 52mm threaded lens I still got some vignetting at the widest setting. It might be better to use wide conversion lenses with the 10mm pancake to avoid over-stressing the zoom mechanism. I also got a bit of shading by the lens using the flash.

On a related note, I also have a 1.4x telephoto conversion which I tried on the 30-110mm lens, however it would definitely have to be supported since the weights came to 182 + 247 = 429g...more than allowed for by the mount.

Ken

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Fri 28-Sep-12 08:18 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri 28-Sep-12 08:20 PM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

On further reflection, I think the best approach to use wide or telephoto conversion lenses on the small 1 system Nikkor zoom lenses is to open the lens from its closed position, then zoom to the range you want - say 10mm on the 10-30 lens (or 110mm on the 30-110), THEN mount the conversion lens, take pictures, then unmount the conversion lens - all the while supporting the conversion lens. In other words, treat it like a prime, not a zoom.

In the mean time I'm waiting (patiently?) for the 1 System 7mm f/2 and the 250-300 mm f/4

Ken

GilesW Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2010Thu 26-Jul-12 07:38 PM
#4. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 26-Jul-12 07:39 PM by GilesW

Edinburgh, GB

Answering my own question (again), I found a pdf on the Raynox web site recomended the DCR-731 for use with the V1. Somewhere else they say the DCR-731 is optically identical to the -730, which I already own, so I will stick with that for the moment.

Incidentally FWIW the Raynox pdf was unreadable on an iPAD, and only readable on a laptop after downloading Japanese fonts.

Other upgrade suggestions are welcome, though.

Giles

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 26-Jul-12 09:10 PM
10673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 4

US

My intention is not drive traffic elsewhere, but you can look up the 7mm urban landscape thread on the DPReview Nikon 1 forum. The thread was started by someone using an Olympus 0.7x TCON from the days of when they had a fixed lens DSLR.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

GilesW Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2010Thu 26-Jul-12 10:20 PM
#7. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 5

Edinburgh, GB

Thanks, I will follow that up later.
Giles

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Fri 28-Sep-12 08:43 PM
#10. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 28-Sep-12 08:46 PM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

>My intention is not drive traffic elsewhere, but you can look
>up the 7mm urban landscape thread on the DPReview Nikon 1
>forum. The thread was started by someone using an Olympus 0.7x
>TCON from the days of when they had a fixed lens DSLR.

Here's another link to the WCON (wide) and TCON (telephoto) conversion lenses
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c/wcon-tcon.html

They're 55 mm threaded and weigh in at 225g and 160g respectively so total weights would be near the maximum allowed by the 1 System's mount and would also put significant stress on the zoom mechanisms. Like the Sony lenses I have, these are quite large (see pictures in link above). Try to find something with 40.5 threads or a bit bigger (i.e. smaller overall)

I also have a Century Optics 2x 43mm threaded telephoto conversion lens (180g so with the 30-110 lens would be just under the 386g mount limit) I'm going to try to mate it with the 30-110 (would make a nice almost 600mm EFL fully 1 System functioning lens...just have to find a 40.5 to 43mm step up ring now.

Ken

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Sun 16-Dec-12 08:08 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Midland, TX, US

I wonder if this would be any better?

It is already 40.5mm thread mount

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/859979-REG/Olympus_V321190BW000_FCON_T01_Fisheye_Converter_Lens.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/
Olympus FCON-T01 Fisheye Converter Lens

Has anyone used this one?

Dave Taylor

dta116 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2007Mon 07-Jan-13 01:24 AM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Wide-angle adaptors for CX lenses"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 07-Jan-13 01:30 AM by dta116

Midland, TX, US

A modified version of this was previously posted elsewhere in a post I cannot find, so I apologize if this is considered bad form.

I found and purchased an Olympus Fisheye adapter (FCON-T01) from B&H the other day and am very pleased with the results, More fisheye than I would like, but Less than it should be. I am still looking for a wide angle but no luck. They do make one for the Pen (WCON-P01) but I don't believe it will fit the 40.5 threads.

This one will certainly do until something better comes along. I see no degradation in the images and it is very well made. The multiplier is .74 which makes the 10mm 2.8 a 7.4mm.

UPDATE: This Adapter will thread directly onto the 40.5mm threads of the 10mm and 10-30mm Nikon 1 lenses. The WCON has 52mm threads so a 40.5mm-52mm step-up ring would be required.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I am not sure now about the confusing specs I a reading about the WCON. One says it will only work with the 14-24 Oly Pen lens which has a bayonet front filter attachment so buyer beware.....

Here are some images (very reduced resolution for publishing)

Dave Taylor

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #166 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.