Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #137
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error" Previous topic | Next topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 23-May-12 05:26 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"

Atlanta, US

My Nikon V1 reported an error with the 10-30 lens. The device provides a message: Lens Error - Contact Nikon Authorized Service Center.

I don't know what the issue is, but the camera is inoperable with that lens. Before showing the error, the lens/camera was chattering slightly. I turned off the camera. When I turned it back on it showed the error message. The camera will not fire with the subject lens attached, but works fine with the 30-110 lens attached.

So on Friday I dropped this off at my local Nikon Authorized Service location. I got a call yesterday that the lens is being sent to Nikon Service for repair. Apparently they understand that it is a warranty repair, but the Nikon 1 is so new that the Service Center has limited experience. Nikon apparently specified that this repair - whatever it is - must go to them.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error
sabbey51 Silver Member
24th May 2012
slothead Gold Member
24th May 2012
Covey22 Moderator
24th May 2012
ericbowles Moderator
24th May 2012
ericbowles Moderator
11th Jun 2012
Covey22 Moderator
12th Jun 2012
hafiz_kidnosys
22nd Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
22nd Aug 2012
kenuck Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
niclas
17th Sep 2013
kenuck Silver Member
17th Sep 2013
ericbowles Moderator
17th Sep 2013
jbloom Gold Member
18th Sep 2013
davidhilos
02nd Oct 2013
niclas
08th Oct 2013
photoarch
05th Nov 2013
davidhilos
21st Jan 2014
ShaunsV
21st May 2014
ericbowles Moderator
21st May 2014
ShaunsV
21st May 2014
ericbowles Moderator
22nd May 2014
ShaunsV
27th May 2014
Covey22 Moderator
27th May 2014
ericbowles Moderator
27th May 2014
ShaunsV
27th May 2014
ericbowles Moderator
27th May 2014
ShaunsV
27th May 2014

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Thu 24-May-12 06:28 AM
534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 0

Saddle river, US

Bummer. Hope you get in back soon.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Thu 24-May-12 10:45 AM
1544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 24-May-12 10:46 AM by slothead

Frederick, US

Wow, that sucks Eric. Be sure and keep us posted on its status. Of course we are anxious to know if it is lot-related (no reason to suspect such yet, but you never know when a "1st failure" will occur)!

Good luck,

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 24-May-12 12:12 PM
10565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The chattering could be a VR or lens motor failure. Interesting - with the camera and mount so new, there isn't enough of a maintenance record to show trends. Hope you get it back soon!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 24-May-12 12:57 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

<The chattering could be a VR or lens motor failure. Interesting - with the camera and mount so new, there isn't enough of a maintenance record to show trends. Hope you get it back soon!>

My guess is that's right - and probably leaning toward a focus motor failure or AF track error.

One of the things that was interesting to me was the electronic notification of the error on the LCD. Apparently that is something that comes with a lens that has firmware. That may imply firmware for future F mount lenses, and the ability to make adjustments via software.

The relatively young age of the camera is probably why Nikon wanted to handle the lens rather than leaving it to Nikon Authorized Service. There are two Nikon authorized service locations in Atlanta - but only one is authorized for the N1. That's where I took it. They had been through training but I doubt they had much experience.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 11-Jun-12 06:52 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

I got the camera back and it is working like new again. The Nikon Authorized service told me the AF module was replaced. I'm not sure of any specifics as they did not perform the service - Nikon USA did.

Anyway - the repair was handled without issues other than not having the camera for two weeks.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 12-Jun-12 01:25 PM
10565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Good to know!

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

hafiz_kidnosys Registered since 22nd Aug 2012Wed 22-Aug-12 05:21 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 0

MY

Hi there.

I'm new here. I was searching bout this error that i'm currently experiencing and after read through this post, i'm positively sure that my camera is having the same problem.

I purchased this camera in February 2012 and just encounter this problen today 22 Aug 2012 during night. The lens was functioned properly during the day.

I'm from Malaysia (to be exact East Malaysia, Sarawak). What should i do bout this? i really can't sleep thinking bout this tonight.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 22-Aug-12 06:42 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 7

Atlanta, US

I had two lenses so I was able to test my other lens and it worked just fine.

If you have another lens - test the camera using the other lens. If not, I'd go to a store and try a new lens on your camera. If it works you will just need to send your lens for service.

If another lens does not work on your camera, you'll need to try a complete reset, and if that fails to resolve the issue you should send the camera and lens to Nikon for service.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Mon 31-Dec-12 09:33 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 0

Burnaby, CA

I just had a similar problem (but without the chatter) with the 10-30mm lens purchased last August with a V1. They sent it off today for repair. It would show the error between 10 and 14mm but would operate between 15 and 30mm (if I powered down with the lens open then powered up with the lens set to greater than 14mm). Also the lens worked fine on my new V2 - go figure. Corrupt firmware perhaps but as the firmware was current I couldn't reload it.

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

niclas Registered since 17th Sep 2013Tue 17-Sep-13 04:29 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 9

SE

Have the exact same problem as you. If I turn on the camera with the zoom between 14 and 30 mm it works fine and when I go to down below 14 I get the error. I can tell you that it is not a firmware issue as I was able to update my firmware and it did not help. I bought this lens used so no warranty. Did you find out what was wrong with the lens? My guess is that the potentiometer or what it is that measure the zoom position is broken.

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Tue 17-Sep-13 06:04 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 10

Burnaby, CA

Mine was under warranty so they just replaced it but didn't tell me what was wrong with it

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 17-Sep-13 06:18 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"

Atlanta, US

The lens is probably going to be inexpensive to replace compared to repair. My local Nikon Authorized Service could not repair Nikon 1 lenses. I'd send it in for an estimate, but be prepared to replace it with a refurbished model or used model.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Fall Color in the Smokies

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 18-Sep-13 09:28 AM
6058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"

Wethersfield, US

KEH.com is listing a used black 10-30 lens in EX+ condition for $43. I realize you aren't in the US, but that should give you an idea of the used price you can expect locally. I would be shocked if anyone would repair your lens for less than that!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

davidhilos Registered since 02nd Oct 2013Wed 02-Oct-13 03:02 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 13

SG

The problem is usually caused by a damaged flexible cable.
There are 2 cables, one for aperture and one for VR.
As you lock/unlock the lens or zoom in and out, the cables are flexed and bent.
After some time, one cable will break. Usually it's the one for VR

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/davidhilos/IMAG06471_zps322e38b6.jpg

a closer look
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/davidhilos/IMAG06451_zps6f9f8338.jpg

The cable has to be replaced. There's quite a number of cable sellers in ebay, just search for "10-30mm flex" but there are 4 small parts that has to be transferred from the original cable

niclas Registered since 17th Sep 2013Tue 08-Oct-13 07:40 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 14

SE

Thank you. I did take it apart but not deep enough. Will have another try with this info.

photoarch Registered since 05th Nov 2013Tue 05-Nov-13 05:34 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Thanks for the information on the broken wires. How do I get the wires off of the lens once I have the lens apart? I don't want to damage anything. Any help would be great. another photo would be even better.

davidhilos Registered since 02nd Oct 2013Tue 21-Jan-14 01:52 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 16

SG

Sorry, I was able to log in for quite some time.
The cables can be bought online. Just search for "nikon 10-30 flex" in ebay

ShaunsV Registered since 13th May 2014Wed 21-May-14 11:14 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to bump such an old post, but I seem to have had the same issue with a Nikon refurbish J1 and 10-30mm I just purchased last week. I have used the camera for less than 30 mins, when I received the same error message.

The only difference is I only received this error message once. I turned off the camera, and it started working fine again.

Since I just purchased the camera, should I go ahead and send it in to Nikon?

I'm afraid they might not find any issue with it, since it is in fact working fine now. But I would hate for this issue to come back when the warranty expires in 90 days...

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Shaun

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 21-May-14 11:26 PM
#19. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 18

Atlanta, US

Turning off the camera did not work for me. Hopefully it was something simple like the lens not being seated properly. If it does not happen with regular use in the next 30 days, you should be fine.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
2014 Workshops and Private Instruction

ShaunsV Registered since 13th May 2014Wed 21-May-14 11:40 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 19

US

Thank you so very much for your quick reply Eric!

I only mounted the lens once, took about 50 photos or so. It was working flawlessly. I turned off my camera and went to take more test shots in my back yard, turned it on again and that is when I got the same error message you received.

I went back in the house, turned the camera off and on again and the camera has been fine ever since.

Though I purchased it as a refurb, both the body and lens look absolutely brand new, I couldn't find a mark or spec of dust anywhere...

The autofocus is dead on and tack sharp, so I really don't want to send this into Nikon if I don't have to. I would really hate to have it repaired/re-calibrated and it end up needing an autofocus fine tune.

Can you even fine tune on Nikon 1 bodies? Hmm...

Again, thanks so much,
Shaun

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 22-May-14 10:31 AM
#21. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 20

Atlanta, US

No - you can't fine tune Nikon 1 bodies - but it's because there is no need. The beauty of mirrorless is focus is always with contrast detect AF - like live view on a DSLR. Focus is always accurate unless you miss the target. The tradeoff is AF is a little slower for fast moving subjects.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

ShaunsV Registered since 13th May 2014Tue 27-May-14 07:30 PM
#22. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Thanks so very much for your replies to my post Eric. I truly appreciate your time and knowledge!

Sadly, the lens error issue seems to persist for me as well. I contacted Nikon technical support and I was told most likely the VR or AF motor was indeed dying. And sooner or later with continued use, it will become completely inoperable just like your lens Eric. I have to say I am kind of disappointed to have this issue day one, right out of the box, still with less than a 60 shutter count on the camera.

I have two options and I am not sure which I should choose...

A. I can return it to the retailer and simply exchange it for another one. I purchased it refurbished, so I'll receive another 90 day warranty.

B. I can send it to Nikon for repair. They replace the AF or/and VR module and I receive the camera and lens back with an additional 6 month warranty on top of what is left on my 90 day warranty.

Needing to have a camera you just purchased repaired, isn't the best feeling in the world, and I kind of would like to simply exchange it.

BUT, and it is indeed a big but, due to how many people replied to this thread. This issue seems to be quite common with the 10-30mm lens. If I do have it exchanged, my replacement could quite possibly develop this problem AFTER the 90 warranty expires.

So, Eric other fellow Nikonians, what should I do?

Thanks so much for any input,
Shaun

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 27-May-14 07:42 PM
#23. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 22

US

I'd exchange for a new camera from inventory if you're inside the retailer's return/exchange period.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 27-May-14 07:44 PM
#24. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 22

Atlanta, US

I'd probably return it to the retailer and exchange it for another copy.
They can bear the cost and time associated with returning it to Nikon. It's not a big deal if you choose to send it to Nikon for warranty service, but you'll probably be without the camera for 2-3 weeks. It's not such a common problem that you need to worry about it happening again. While that is possible, it's not particularly likely.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

ShaunsV Registered since 13th May 2014Tue 27-May-14 07:57 PM
#25. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 24

US

Armando and Eric thanks SO much for your input!

I would prefer to exchange it myself as well. But the added 6 month warranty does make you feel warm and cozy...

Did you ever experience any other issues with your lens after Nikon serviced it Eric?

I'm planning to take it overseas and use it for the times I don't want to carry my D300 or D2X. When I want to take photos, but the purpose isn't specifically for taking photos. And for HD video as well.

So I REALLY don't want this to fail on me...

Any chance Nikon Japan would honor a 90 refurbished warranty or a 6 month repair warranty?

Are any of these warranties international?

Again, thanks SO much!
Shaun

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 27-May-14 08:05 PM
#26. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 25

Atlanta, US

The warranties are offered by the country specific distributor - NikonUSA for you. Gray market cameras are those that are purchased outside the state distributor - and the distributor refuses to service such equipment or sell parts for repairs. So there is no international warranty. NikonUSA is pretty good about not arguing about narrow misses in warranty dates. It's probably cheaper to buy a replacement 10-30 from someone reliable like www.keh.com than to pay for service.

If you are overseas and need service, it might be possible but the rules are country specific.

My lens has been fine ever since service. I actually have two of them and the other 10-30 has not had any issues.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

ShaunsV Registered since 13th May 2014Tue 27-May-14 08:50 PM
#27. "RE: Nikon 10-30 - Lens Error"
In response to Reply # 26

US

Thanks SO much for all the input Eric!

For some reason I thought the first year of the supplied five year warranty with newly purchased Nikon lenses was international as well...

Anyways, I'm very glad to hear you haven't had any more issues with any of your 10-30mm lenses.

Back to the retailer my camera will go!!

Thank you very much for all the advice!

Sincerely,
Shaun

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #137 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.