Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #130
View in linear mode

Subject: "4mm f/1.4 Lens" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Fri 11-May-12 03:59 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"4mm f/1.4 Lens"
Sat 12-May-12 02:20 AM by slothead

Frederick, US

Just tested a 4mm f/1.4 CX lens on my V1..............................

Haha! Gotcha! You thought I was going to tell you about such a lens. Well it ain't gonna happen, 'cause such a lens don't exist!!!

But it is the lens I want to see! Is it even possible? Maybe I should just get a pinhole camera! Seriously, I want such a lens with extremely clear and sharp optics. Will it ever happen? Probably not, but I can wish...

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 4mm f/1.4 Lens
wblink
12th May 2012
Reply message RE: 4mm f/1.4 Lens
slothead Gold Member
15th May 2012
     Reply message RE: Where are the CX Lens?
RRRoger Silver Member
10th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
10th Jul 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
12th Jul 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
12th Jul 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
13th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
13th Jul 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
tgreenwald Silver Member
19th Dec 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Dec 2012

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Sat 12-May-12 03:17 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 4mm f/1.4 Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Gendt, NL

+1(000.000.000)

Willem

Sony Nex-7

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 15-May-12 09:08 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 4mm f/1.4 Lens"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 15-May-12 09:09 PM by slothead

Frederick, US

Well I *was* kidding around, but I am still serious about wanting a really wide lens for the V1. And while someone is at it, can you make it really fast? After all with a 10mm focal length (or less) it sure would be easy to make an f/1.2 or so, wouldn't it - that's significantly less than a half inch wide!? We're really not talking about all that much (perfect) glass!

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 10-Jul-12 03:11 AM
3163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Where are the CX Lens?"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

Nikon released a prototype lens photo about the same time as the release of the Nikon 1 cameras.
There have also been many patents filed and rumors of new lens.
None have been released after the initial four.

Have sales been that bad?
Is Nikon giving up on the CX format?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 10-Jul-12 03:28 AM
10630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Where are the CX Lens?"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 10-Jul-12 03:35 AM by Covey22

US

>Nikon released a prototype lens photo about the same time as
>the release of the Nikon 1 cameras.
>There have also been many patents filed and rumors of new
>lens.
>None have been released after the initial four.
>
>Have sales been that bad?
>Is Nikon giving up on the CX format?

No, Nikon has traditionally been very slow in releasing new lenses. Think about it - how many years did it take for them to update even the very optically simple (but sharp) 50mm f1.8D to an AF-S version? And how about the 80-400mm? Exactly.

Nikon's optics road map for FX and DX lenses takes a lot longer than most people think. Given that track record, it'll be a while before we see new CX lenses. Don't be surprised if they even wait until the next PMA before any announcements hit. I'm trying not to be a party-pooper, but the message is simple - if you bought into the Nikon 1 System, congrats. But you'd better be in it for the long haul. System "jumpers" will NOT be rewarded, only the loyalists. And in the meantime, incremental improvements in other products (think Sony RX100 for starters) will make owners think hard about the dearth of CX lenses in their bag. Those of us who are brave enough to buy into Generation 1 of the system are Pioneers, but as a client rightfully pointed out to me back in the Internet boom heyday, Pioneers proved they were such, often by taking arrows. So you have to ask yourself, which one are you?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 12-Jul-12 04:54 AM
3163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Where are the CX Lens?"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

Quote> And how about the 80-400mm? Exactly.<Quote<<<
So, if I wait 8 years for the new CX lens
and if nothing is in sight I am not supposed to get impatient about it?

If that is the case, I wish they had not shown the prototypes.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 12-Jul-12 01:48 PM
10630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Where are the CX Lens?"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 12-Jul-12 01:50 PM by Covey22

US

Roger,

You can be impatient along with everyone else. Note that the individual or collective impatience of consumers has not motivated Nikon, either in part or full, to release an update of the 80-400 since it's introduction a little over twelve (12) years ago. So, yeah, you might be waiting for a long time.

Prototypes are just that - prototypes. The ones shown in 2011 don't have focal lengths notations, maker's marks, etc. Showing off prototypes is a sign to both competitors and buyers that they have put a measure of capital and engineering behind the system - in other words, they want people to know they intend to stay in the market and have invested accordingly. Given that, there's still no guarantee that any of them will be built. It is true that in order to remain a viable choice - they'll have to release *some* of them. But all you have to do is look at their release history, and it becomes plainly obvious that Nikon does not *move* quickly to RTM. It would be a pleasant surprise if they prove me wrong for the "1" System.

Regards,

-Armando

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 12-Jul-12 02:20 PM
#7. "RE: Where are the CX Lens?"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

I've got NAS!
I need more stuff for my toy camera.
The money is burning a hole in my pocket!
I want to make Nikon rich.

Is anyone listening?

By the way where are the Blue cameras and lens?
We need a His and Hers.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 12-Jul-12 05:22 PM
#8. "RE: Where are the CX Lens?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I've got NAS!
I need more stuff for my toy camera.
The money is burning a hole in my pocket!
I want to make Nikon rich.

Is anyone listening?

Your FT-1 needs some companions - pick up an 85mm f1.8 G and a 200mm f2 VR - why those specifically? For the lowest possible aperture to off-set the 2.7x crop of course. If that doesn't reduce the warchest to your satisfaction, check out the thread in the Autofocus forum about the upcoming 800mm f5.6. 2160mm - works out to about 14 cents USD per mm (assuming it's 15K which is the going rate for a Canon version).

By the way where are the Blue cameras and lens?
We need a His and Hers.

Colors are so last-century. For you - well, here's a cheap solution to "Leica-ize" your V1. Also available for the J1.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 13-Jul-12 12:31 AM
#9. "RE: Where are the CX Lens?"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

The 200mm f/2.0 Nikkor is on my wish list (dream on).
Other than that and possible a 300 f/4.0 I have all the FX lens I want.
I prefer to use CX lens on my CX camera.
I have more like $300 in my pocket which is enough to buy most CX lens.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 13-Jul-12 07:25 PM
#10. "RE: Where are the CX Lens?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I have more like $300 in my pocket which is enough to buy most CX lens.

Given current prices of the variable aperture CX lenses, I'd agree with you. Typical Nikon move though would be to charge us more for faster aperture and/or build, features (ED elements? Nano coating?) in future additions to the line-up. Maybe invest the USD300 somewhere in short-term, high-interest instruments? By the time it's matured, we'll probably have a better idea of what's coming, and you'll have made some extra money to further your NAS.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 04-Dec-12 05:06 AM
#11. "RE: Where are the CX Lens?"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue 04-Dec-12 05:11 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Thank you Nikon
I now have my indoor V1 Video lens of choice for only $186
The 18.5mm f/1.8.
I am surprised at how sharp the images are
and how well it focuses close up in low/poor light.

Now, how about that 4mm f/1.8 Nikkor?
or even a 6-18 f/2.8 Zoom?

tgreenwald Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Wed 19-Dec-12 02:42 AM
1467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Where are the CX Lens?"
In response to Reply # 11

High Springs , FL, US

Nikon Rumors has the patent info for a 6-11mm CX lens which is like 17-35mm-

Headline:

Nikon announces the future development of 1 Nikkor 10-100mm f/4-5.6, 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 and 32mm f/1.2 lenses

So the wise guy OP has nearly gotten his wish.

This new system is reverse NAS-my bag is getting smaller not my wallet. Still have money left over from selling the lenses and the D300 bodies.

www.teddgreenwald.com
D300 300mm f4 AFS 28mm f2.8 AFS P7000 SB800 Gitzo GT3531S
Kirk BH-1

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 19-Dec-12 03:29 AM
#13. "RE: Where are the CX Lens?"
In response to Reply # 12

Monterey Bay, US

Quote Tedd> Nikon Rumors has the patent info for a 6-11mm CX lens which
>is like 17-35mm-
>
>Headline:
>
>Nikon announces the future development of 1 Nikkor 10-100mm
>f/4-5.6, 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 and 32mm f/1.2 lenses
>
>So the wise guy OP has nearly gotten his wish.
>
>This new system is reverse NAS-my bag is getting smaller not
>my wallet. Still have money left over from selling the lenses
>and the D300 bodies.
>
>www.teddgreenwald.com
>D300 300mm f4 AFS 28mm f2.8 AFS P7000 SB800 Gitzo GT3531S
>Kirk BH-1 >Quote<<<

The 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 should be great for Landscapes
but maybe not so good for low light Video.
I would like to see the equivalent 24-70 at F/2.8 or lower.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #130 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.