Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #117
View in linear mode

Subject: "Additional Nikon 1 Primes" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Thu 26-Apr-12 10:03 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Additional Nikon 1 Primes"

Frederick, US

I don't recall seeing this topic, so I'll start it now.

I would think that with the Nikon 1's very dense pixel density, that the significance of the clarity of prime lenses would be beneficial to the sharpness of the Nikon 1 images. Aside from the 10mm lens and the primes that can be used with the FT1, would it make sense to have Nikon 1-format primes (such as a 5mm, 15mm, 35mm, etc.)?

Thoughts?

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Additional Nikon 1 Primes
ericbowles Moderator
27th Apr 2012
nwcs Silver Member
08th Aug 2012
FredB D3 Silver Member
10th Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
08th Aug 2012
JonK Moderator
09th Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
09th Aug 2012
nwcs Silver Member
10th Aug 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
13th Dec 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 27-Apr-12 10:25 AM
8594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Additional Nikon 1 Primes"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Tom

I'd love to see a wide prime lens - something like a 6-7mm lens which would be the equivalent of a 11-13mm on DX and 16-19mm on FX. The long end seems pretty well covered with the current FT1 adapter and existing lenses, but a 200mm f/4 lens would be interesting.

I'd also like to see fast lenses - f/1.4 to f/2.0 in the 25mm range. That would be the equivalent of a 50 f/1.8 on a DX body or a 70mm FX lens. A CX 25mm f/1.4 would be the portrait lens for the system.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 08-Aug-12 05:12 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Additional Nikon 1 Primes"
In response to Reply # 1

Knoxville, US

I'd love to see a CX lens that's equivalent to the 17-55 f2.8. I think it'd be killer on CX when you factor in the CX crop format. I guess that'd be 6.3-20.4 in size. So let's just say 7-25 f2.8 to give it more range. You'd think it would still be pretty small (but thick). If I had that I would guarantee the V1 would be my exclusive travel camera. I'd only use my D800 when looking for non-travel uses.

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Fri 10-Aug-12 08:53 PM
862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Additional Nikon 1 Primes"
In response to Reply # 1

Potomac, US

Hear hear on the equivalent of a full frame super wide!

Fred
Maryland, USA

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 08-Aug-12 06:47 PM
10631 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Additional Nikon 1 Primes"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Two primes - an 7 or 8mm f1.8 or f2 (24mm equivalent) and a 32mm f1.8 (85mm). I'd get a second J1 (by that time prices will be approaching fire sale thanks to the leaked J2 announcement), and I'm all set.

Okay - maybe a third. a 65mm f2 or f2.8 - classic 180mm. There, now I'm really all set.

Sadly, it may be a long wait given the leaked announcement that all that is coming for new optics in Photokina 2012 is a replacement kit zoom.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 09-Aug-12 05:38 PM
4624 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Additional Nikon 1 Primes"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

So while most of us dreamed of a couple of fast primes, Nikon has given us another slow zoom. 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6. A bit less coverage than the 10-30mm, and it's a bit smaller.

Which leads me to a question:
What's the point???

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 09-Aug-12 06:33 PM
10631 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Additional Nikon 1 Primes"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 09-Aug-12 06:35 PM by Covey22

US

Re: 11-27 -

Specialized lens for the Japan market. Nikon 1 is a big seller internally, and the smaller lens lends credence that Japanese buyers are willing to pay a premium for smaller, lighter kit. Even if that lens already duplicates what's available.

Still hoping for fast primes or wider lenses in the new year. It's unlikely they'll be any new announcements until then. PMA is the next possible venue to bring out new hardware. January's not too far away, but six months is an eternity in product marketing.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 10-Aug-12 04:09 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Additional Nikon 1 Primes"
In response to Reply # 5

Knoxville, US

I was reading on Thom Hogan's site that he doesn't expect this to be a kit lens but rather an option for someone if they wanted a smaller lens. Kind of a curious decision I think.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 13-Dec-12 03:26 AM
3163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Additional Nikon 1 Primes"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

The excellent 18.5 f/1.8 is now out!
I really like mine. Very sharp wide open in low light.

Now what we need is something faster and wider than the 10mm f/2.8.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #117 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.