Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #114
View in linear mode

Subject: "3rd Party Lenses for Nikon J1" Previous topic | Next topic
ithompson72 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2008Thu 26-Apr-12 11:50 AM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"3rd Party Lenses for Nikon J1"

Chichester, GB

Not sure if I should post this in the Nikon 1 forum or the Nikon 1 lenses forum but here goes.

Just got my J1 and am expecting the FT1 any day now. I have been looking at a cheap lens that would give me the superb reach possible with 2.7x magnification. I also have a D7000 so any lens I buy may well get used on that as well.

Looking at getting a telephoto lens topping out at 300mm. I know I could get a relatively cheap Nikkor 55-300 but was wondering if anyone had any luck with the cheaper 70-300 lenses from Tamron or Sigma? Do they work at all? Are they any good with the J1? Is the additional cost of a Nikkor lens worth it?

Thanks for any advice.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 26-Apr-12 02:15 PM
10765 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 3rd Party Lenses for Nikon J1"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Re: Third-Party telezooms. it appears any of the newer lenses equipped with some form of VR (i.e., OS, VC) will not function correctly on the FT-1. Unfortunately, falling back to the older versions of those lenses means little or no ability to autofocus, as Tamron has only integrated both their internal motor USD with the newer VC image stabilization. All their older lenses are screwdriver for the most part. Sigma has some old non-OS lenses equipped with some form of HSM motor, but they're rarely seen new, and are available mostly on the used market.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

ithompson72 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2008Thu 26-Apr-12 03:03 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 3rd Party Lenses for Nikon J1"
In response to Reply # 1

Chichester, GB

Many thanks. Looks like I will be best to go with the Nikkor then.

Cheers,
Ian

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Sat 28-Apr-12 02:26 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 3rd Party Lenses for Nikon J1"
In response to Reply # 0

Newton, US

You need a lens that is especially sharp in the center at wide apertures, otherwise that 2.7 magnification doesn't buy you as much as you expect. The Nikon and Tamron 70-300mm lenses test about the same by that measure.

You should check weight too. The lens mount has a weight limit and I think it's under 1 kg. If you buy a lens over the limit be sure to train yourself to pick the camera+lens combination up by the lens rather than the body.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #114 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.