Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #106
View in linear mode

Subject: "Uh Oh, Why won't my FT1 work?" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Wed 18-Apr-12 12:21 AM
1585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Uh Oh, Why won't my FT1 work?"

Frederick, US

My Nikon 1 lenses work great, but when I install the FT1 and mount any of my AF-S lenses (50mm f/1.4, 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 70-200mm f/2.8) I get the message that says "Check lens. Pictures can only be taken when a lens is attached." But of course there is a lens attached! Is there a setting that I need to affect to allow the use of the FT1? I saw nothing in the instructions.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Uh Oh, Why won't my FT1 work?
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
18th Apr 2012
slothead Gold Member
18th Apr 2012
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
18th Apr 2012
slothead Gold Member
19th Apr 2012
19th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
27th Apr 2012

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 18-Apr-12 12:27 AM
4997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Uh Oh, Why won't my FT1 work?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Sounds like a problem with the contacts on either side of the FT1. You should request a replacement.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Wed 18-Apr-12 12:43 AM
1585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Uh Oh, Why won't my FT1 work?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 18-Apr-12 01:25 AM by slothead

Frederick, US

I'll check the contacts Jon. Good thinking.

-- edit --

Jon, Simpler than that! I had to update the firmware, and in fact as soon as someone told me that I remembered it was necessary for the FT1! Saved a ton of fussing! Thanks for helping out.

Tom

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 18-Apr-12 01:35 AM
4997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Uh Oh, Why won't my FT1 work?"
In response to Reply # 2

New York, US

Congrats! Now post some pics with the 70-200 and 200-400. I'm still waiting for my FT1 so can only drool over others' pics.

Jon Kandel

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Thu 19-Apr-12 02:24 AM
#4. "RE: Uh Oh, Why won't my FT1 work?"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 19-Apr-12 02:25 AM by slothead

Frederick, US

I took a quick pic of my dartboard in my office today (yeah, I have a bristle board in my office) with the 70-200 and TC 17E II (set at 200mm - which means 340mm * 2.7 = 918mm equiv.), but it was simply an elementary test and really hard to steadily hold even with the VR. Look closely at the near end of the dart flight (the intended focus point) and you will see the movement (holy moly! I just looked at the meta data and it was taken at f/6.3, and 1/13 sec! - jeez I'm proud of myself ). Tomorrow I'll get some outdoors with the 70-200 TC 17 at long range and the 200-400 with the TC 20E III (obviously some with tripod). Those should be interesting.

Tom

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 19-Apr-12 03:00 AM
#5. "RE: Uh Oh, Why won't my FT1 work?"
In response to Reply # 4

New York, US

918mm at 1/13 sec — amazing and outstanding!

I can't wait…

Jon Kandel

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 27-Apr-12 11:45 AM
8875 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Uh Oh, Why won't my FT1 work?"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

Here area couple of images with the 600 f/4 AFS, the FT1, and the V1. This was at 1/200 sec, f/4, and ISO 200 on a tripod with a gimbal head.

The first is cropped to about 1400 pixels and the second is the uncropped version. The subject - a lesser yellowlegs - was at a distance of about 50-55 yards.

It's pretty amazing to be using an equivalent of 1620mm at f/4.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #106 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.