Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #1
View in linear mode

Subject: "Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?" Previous topic | Next topic
Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Tue 29-Nov-11 09:50 PM
639 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"

Glenwood, US

I was thinking about whether Nikon's choice of sensor size will have an impact on whether the 3rd party lens makers will make lenses for the Nikon 1 system. There are lots of lenses already available for 4/3 size sensors, and I suspect more to come. The third party makers can use the same basic lens design in different mounts for DX and FX cameras, and there are several camera makes that each lens will fit. The same will apply to 4/3. I wonder if the design and production costs for lenses soley for the Nikon 1 can be justified by the 3rd party lens makers. Some longer focal length lenses might be adapted, but fast wide angles will need a new design. Another consideration is if Canon comes out with an EVIL camera in 4/3 mount. If Canon goes that route, Nikon will have a sort of orphan mount, and Nikon 1 owners will have only one source for lenses.

Matthew

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?
TomCurious
29th Nov 2011
jpFoto
29th Nov 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
30th Nov 2011
Matto Silver Member
30th Nov 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
30th Nov 2011
TomCurious
30th Nov 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
03rd Dec 2011
bobtail Silver Member
04th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
28th Dec 2011
Matto Silver Member
31st Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
31st Dec 2011
wcguy Silver Member
31st Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
31st Dec 2011
Covey22 Moderator
28th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
30th Dec 2011
Floridian Silver Member
13th Jan 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
13th Jan 2012
yelcab
13th Jan 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
24th Jan 2012
Covey22 Moderator
24th Jan 2012
Convergentus
08th Mar 2012

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Tue 29-Nov-11 11:07 PM
2335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

No idea what other lens makers will do, it will likely depend on how successful the Nikon 1 series will be. In any case I highly doubt that Canon will make a body with the m4/3 mount. They don't want to make it easy for 3rd part lens makes, any more than Nikon does. The common mount made sense for some of the smaller players to gain momentum and acceptance and is surely nice for consumers, but Nikon and Canon don't play by those rules.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 29-Nov-11 11:09 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 30-Nov-11 07:01 AM by jpFoto

US

Hi Matt

I think that your analysis is correct. No third party lens maker is going to make lenses specifically for this lens mount, and it is unlikely that any other major camera maker (Canon) is going to adopt this sensor size. Also, consider that Nikon is selling all but one of their lenses for $250 less a $100 rebate if purchased with the body, so it would be financial suicide for a company such as Sigma to gear up to make lenses for that camera. But, keep in mind that Nikon really didn't market this camera as a pro or prosumer camera. I think that the pink body/lens combinations signaled this fact. If you like the format and like the system then it's for you. I like what Tom has done with his images and they are very impressive. In my humble opinion, (IMHO for you techies) this is a great point and shoot alternative for those of us who cannot and will not buy a point and shoot because you cannot own a camera that won't let you change the aperture or shutter speed and because your spouse, who knows nothing about cameras, can't use it in any mode except AUTO.

That being said, it still appears to me to be a very nice and capable camera, and if someone gave one to me this holiday season with some or all of the lenses, I wouldn't return it. On the other hand, with so many of us (not me) drooling over the possibilities of another full frame, high ISO, D4 or D800, it just shows that we all have different interests and that we all like really nice cameras.

jP

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 30-Nov-11 12:53 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

As noted not specifically for the Nikon 1, but since there will be an adapter for dSLR lenses, I expect that those 3rd party lenses that are compatible with the dSLR line will work.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Wed 30-Nov-11 01:10 AM
639 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 3

Glenwood, US

George
You have a point about the adapter, I forgot about it. But with the crop factor, you won't be able to use any lenses made for larger sensor sizes to give you a wide FOV. Nikon doesn't make any fast wide angles in DX, so I suspect they won't for the Nikon 1 either.

Matthew

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 30-Nov-11 04:19 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 4

Chicago, US

Why not?

The FX lens works on a DX body adjusted by the corp factor. Of course, the crop factor will be more apparent on the Nikon 1. So the extreme wide angles will not have the FOV you expect.

There is the 1 Nikor 10mm f/2.8 with a 70 degree FOV.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Wed 30-Nov-11 06:54 PM
2335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 5

Bay Area, US

Even with the adapter, there won't be any ultra wide angle option for now (like 14-24 on FX or 10-24 on DX). That said, the 10mm (which provides same FOV as 27mm on FX) is plenty wide enough for my taste and use cases. What I really want now is a 30mm f/2 (or so) portrait lens in the same small size as existing Nikon 1 lenses.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 03-Dec-11 01:34 AM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 04-Dec-11 04:38 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I would like to see a 8mm and 20mm f/1.8 CX lens, and
a 8-20mm f/2.8 PD (power) zoom.

The Nikon FT-1 seems endlessly delayed.

Many 3rd parties will make adapters.
The Kipon NF-N1 is already available but does not AutoFocus.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bobtail Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2006Sun 04-Dec-11 10:47 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 7

Axminster, GB

There is another possibility: the use of a front of lens adaptor lens, similar to that listed (but not yet seen !)for the P7100 etc.
these are usually dismissed as 'not for serious use', but I have been using a Ricoh with 28mm as normal widest,with an add-on which gives a 21mm equivalent FOV and produced some successful A3 exhibition prints from it .Even at full aperture, results are good.
It would be good solution if the add-on was designed specifically for , say, the 10mm. Full aperture would be maintained as well.
Now if Nikon won't do it perhaps an independent will.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 28-Dec-11 02:29 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

I doubt if Third Party Manufactures are interested in making $150 lens for a proprietary mount.

It makes more sense to come out with more ultra wide DX lens that can be used with the FT-1 adapter.

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Sat 31-Dec-11 02:30 AM
#12. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 9

Glenwood, US

I would like to see the N1 equivalent of a 28 or 35 mm f2.0 FF lens. I don't even think Nikon will make a DX F2.0 lens in 18 or 24 mm focal length.

Matthew

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 31-Dec-11 03:43 AM
#13. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 12

Monterey Bay, US

Quote>I would like to see the N1 equivalent of a 28 or 35 mm f2.0
>FF lens. I don't even think Nikon will make a DX F2.0 lens in
>18 or 24 mm focal length.<Quote

The FT-1 and AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX works real good.
I am waiting for that 18mm CX lens.

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Sat 31-Dec-11 07:31 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 13

CA

Saw this on another site, shows some interesting items that are in N1's future. Looks pretty promising. WC

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-1-series-prototypes-shown-17472

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 31-Dec-11 01:54 PM
#15. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 14

Monterey Bay, US

Quote>Saw this on another site, shows some interesting items that
>are in N1's future. Looks pretty promising. WC
>
>http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-1-series-prototypes-shown-17472
>Quote<

How about this rumored list?

we can make some guesses at future Nikon 1 lenses:

14mm f/2.8 (35mm equivalent)
18mm f/1.4 (50mm equivalent)
32mm f/1.2 (85mm equivalent)
40mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor (105mm equivalent)
60mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor (162mm equivalent)
7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 (20-35mm equivalent)
9-43mm f/2.8-5.6 (24-120mm equivalent)

http://www.bythom.com

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 28-Dec-11 05:22 PM
10775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 28-Dec-11 05:24 PM by Covey22

US

"What I really want now is a 30mm f/2 (or so) portrait lens in the same small size as existing Nikon 1 lenses."

Nikon is off-setting the time lag between development and release of further CX lenses with the FT-1. I suspect it will be a while before we see faster and more varied dedicated lenses. (Edited to add: and the FT-1 complements a captive market by drawing in existing Nikkor owners )

30mm * 2.7 = 81mm roughly. I think the closest solution for you is to use the FT-1 with either one of the new Silent Wave 50mms or Sigma's 50 (assuming third-party with HSM/USD/BIM work). Rob Galbraith's review had a photo of the 50/1.4 (?) mounted, it didn't seem that bulky, but compared to the 10mm/2.8 pancake, it's showing serious Holiday meal bloat.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 30-Dec-11 12:54 AM
#11. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 31-Dec-11 01:59 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

The AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX balances and works very well with my new FT-1 adapter.
I wonder if it is more than a coincidence that it is also made in China?

What I am looking/waiting for is an affordable and very fast 20mm lens.
That is the (54mm equivalent) focal length I need for VideoGraphing the Church Service.

The rumored AF-S 18mm f1.8 CX or a DX would also work.

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 13-Jan-12 01:28 AM
2737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I notice that Sigma has announced a 30mm f2.8 for CX (listed on the B&H website; no price or availability date).

Randy

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 13-Jan-12 01:39 AM
#17. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 16
Sat 14-Jan-12 03:16 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Quote>I notice that Sigma has announced a 30mm f2.8 for CX (listed
>on the B&H website; no price or availability date).
>Randy<Quote

Good news!

This is the one I am interested in:
Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens for CX Format

So far, my existing Nikkors have worked exceptionally well, but I do not have anything cheap that is wider than the 35 f1.8 DX

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Fri 13-Jan-12 03:00 AM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 17

San carlos, US

I bought a J1 for my 10 years old daughter. She played with the 10-30mm, played with the 70-200VR1, 28-300VR, and she found that she likes the video features best with the 10-30mm lens. I did tell her that on our vacation, she can use any of my lenses. For now, there is no need for any Sigma or even Nikon CX lenses. I have way too many lenses for her as it is.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 24-Jan-12 03:48 PM
#19. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 18

Monterey Bay, US

I talked with a Sigma Rep.
They have no CX lens about to come out soon.
I asked why not.
She said she saw no reason there would not be some of their small 4/3 lens with Nikon CX mounts in the future.

Using better F-mount lens with the FT-1 will produce better still images with shallower DOF.
AF and VR still work
but you loose all but the center focus point, face recognition, and tracking.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 24-Jan-12 06:44 PM
10775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 19

US

It will take 3rd Party manufacturers a while to create or re-tool existing designs for Nikon's new Stepping Motor that powers the native CX lenses. And they will want to wait and see what the additional prototype CX lenses will actually be (features, focal length, price point) before entering the market. Traditionally, Sigma et al., would play the "me too" game at a lower price point and maybe a lower feature set or try to insert themselves in a niche position (i.e., fast 17-50 with OS or 100-300 constant aperture zoom) that doesn't have an OEM equivalent.

I suspect the Series 1 camera itself is not optimized to move the older Silent Wave lenses in the same speed/accuracy as STM (bigger battery drain for starters), hence the limitations of center point only and loss of continuous focusing. Sigma will also need to take that into account judging by posts on other forums about how some EX HSM lenses do work with the FT-1 and some don't.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Convergentus Registered since 31st Jan 2012Thu 08-Mar-12 07:08 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Future 3rd party lenses for Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Johannesburg, ZA

Sigma: we\'d like to make Nikon 1 lenses

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR LENSES CX Format Lenses topic #1 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.