Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #865
View in linear mode

Subject: "New Spider Camera Holster" Previous topic | Next topic
piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Wed 01-Feb-12 04:35 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New Spider Camera Holster"

Houston Texas, US

I just received word from Spider Holster that they have a new model out for carrying light weight cameras. It is called the Black Widow Holster and sells for $65 and change.

I contacted them and asked about carrying a V1 attached to my existing Spider Belt Holster (made for the heaviest DSLR) and they told me that the Black Widow will be perfect.

For $49.95 I can buy the holster without the belt, and clip it to either my Spider Holster belt or to a regular belt.
Free shipping included through Feb 2012 too.

If you need a good way to carry your Nikon 1 with no clutter or bulk, this will do the trick nicely.
Perry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New Spider Camera Holster
Convergentus
01st Feb 2012
piniongear
02nd Feb 2012
piniongear
09th Feb 2012
Convergentus
11th Feb 2012
piniongear
11th Feb 2012
Convergentus
18th Feb 2012
piniongear
18th Feb 2012
Convergentus
18th Feb 2012
piniongear
18th Feb 2012
Convergentus
18th Feb 2012
piniongear
18th Feb 2012
Vox Sciurorum
11th Apr 2012
Vox Sciurorum
03rd Mar 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
08th Mar 2013
piniongear
09th Mar 2013
Vox Sciurorum
24th Mar 2013

Convergentus Registered since 31st Jan 2012Wed 01-Feb-12 08:54 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 0

Johannesburg, ZA

Looks interesting. At only 19.8oz (V1 + 30-110 lens) you can go with the holster and your own belt as this combo is rated to 2 lbs.

Free shipping only in US. Was $39.75 to South Africa USPS Priority.

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Thu 02-Feb-12 01:22 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 02-Feb-12 01:23 AM by piniongear

Houston Texas, US

Too bad the shipping is almost the cost of the Black Widow to S. Africa.
I will post a pic of mine when it arrives.
Perry

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Thu 09-Feb-12 10:15 PM
#3. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 2

Houston Texas, US

I finally got around to trying out the Black Widow Holster from Spider Holster.

It works very well by just using your belt run through the holster.
To remove the Nikon 1 all you have to do is pull up the red lever and lift up the camera out of the slot.
Impossible for the camera to ever fall out of the holster.

And this is a very comfortable way to carry your Nikon 1.
For those using a neck strap now..... this is a much better way to do it.
Perry

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Convergentus Registered since 31st Jan 2012Sat 11-Feb-12 01:44 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 3

Johannesburg, ZA

Never mind getting lost with the GP-N100 GPS module Perry - that orange shirt will be visible from the 50,000 feet! I guess a screen protector is a good idea?

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sat 11-Feb-12 02:25 PM
#5. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston Texas, US

The projection of the eyepiece on the back prevents the screen from rubbing against the pants, so I would say a screen protector is not required.
I do not use one anyway.
Perry

Convergentus Registered since 31st Jan 2012Sat 18-Feb-12 09:30 AM
#6. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 5

Johannesburg, ZA

My New Spider Camera Holster landed today...

Very clever, comfortable, discreet and secure way of carrying the V1. A bonus is that you can view the LCD and adjust settings by simply rotating the camera in the holster. The only niggle is that you need 2 hands to remove, one to hold the camera and one to release the lock. You can remove the lock for 'one hand' draw - but not a good idea!

Thanks Perry for the tip on this product.

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sat 18-Feb-12 10:50 AM
#7. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 6

Houston Texas, US

Glad to hear you got one and like it so far.
This is about the most comfortable way to carry a camera in my view.

I first bought a Spider Holster when they first came on the market.
I thought.... What a great product at a very reasonable cost!

The Spider I have to carry the D700, D300s or the D200 has a stainless steel latch which is two position.

One position you lightly raise the latch and lift the camera out.
The lever falls back in place.
You can replace the camera with one hand and it will not fall out of the holster.

The other latch position you lift the latch all the way up and it stays there.
This allows the camera to be withdrawn using only one hand but the great drawback is that the camera can also fall to the ground if carried this way.
I don't recommend that, nor does Spider.

I was a bit surprised (and disappointed) to find that on this latest version (Black Widow) it uses a plastic latch and you must use force to hold it up while you extract the camera.

I guess plastic saves money but I am puzzled about the latch needing pressure to hold it up.
I was expecting the same type of latch as the original.
Perry

Convergentus Registered since 31st Jan 2012Sat 18-Feb-12 03:46 PM
#8. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 7

Johannesburg, ZA

Thanks for the feedback Perry.

I've been walking around the whole day with the set-up and really enjoying it. With some familiarity, I can now remove the camera with one hand. I grab the camera with my middle, 4th and little finger and then squeeze the release lever with my first finger while my thumb is on the top of the holster:

This works quite well with a bit of practice. You certainly need firm pressure to lift the latch, but quite manageable and probably less risk of accidental 'deployment'. I guess they are saving costs over the original to get to a lower price point. It's only rated to 2 lbs vs. 5 lbs for the stainless holster you have.

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sat 18-Feb-12 04:01 PM
#9. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 8

Houston Texas, US

Thanks for letting me know you can now release the camera one handed.
I must try that myself.
The Black Widow was just recently introduced and since I have had mine, I would recommend this to anyone who has a V1 or J1 camera.

Of course these small cameras weigh nothing but to have one swinging from a strap around my neck is not the way I want to carry one.
The belt attachment is the way to go.
Perry

Convergentus Registered since 31st Jan 2012Sat 18-Feb-12 05:46 PM
#10. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 9

Johannesburg, ZA

Perry - do you also find the 'pin' screwed into the V1 helps in the handling? I'm hooking a finger around it which makes the grip more secure in both landscape and portrait orientation. This is not a benefit I was expecting.

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sat 18-Feb-12 05:56 PM
#11. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 10

Houston Texas, US

Yessir, I certainly do!
Glad to see you have the same impression of better handling.
It cannot be true but it sure seems to improve it.
The downside is setting the camera down on the ball tilts it sideways, but I like to lay the V1 down on it's back.
Perry

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Wed 11-Apr-12 12:25 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 0

Newton, US

I got one. I like it. Thanks for the tip. Now my D700 can spend more time in my backpack when I'm hiking. I don't mind carrying a big camera most of the time, but it gets in the way on slopes where I need my hands.

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Sun 03-Mar-13 03:57 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 12

Newton, US

I should followup to this comment from last year.

The spider belt dropped two cameras that popped out of the socket when the camera was bumped. It tried to drop a lens, but fortunately I noticed the recently-tightened bolt had become loose to the fingers in 10 minutes of walking. A dropped V1 had cosmetic damage, but Nikon refused to do warranty service unless I paid over $300 to replace the case. That made it damaged beyond economic repair, considering I could get a new V1 for that price. A dropped lens had to go in for repairs.

So, never again.

This year for hiking I'll have a Sony RX100 on my belt. It fits securely inside a pouch.

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Fri 08-Mar-13 11:26 PM
2509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 13

Tallahassee, US

????

I have literally run down a sideline (at a soccer game) with a D3s and a 70-200/2.8 locked into my spider holster and nothing went anywhere. I've sat down, stood up and leveraged the lens against my leg inadvertently which tried to force the camera out of the socket. I've demoed the unit by having another rather large man literally try to yank the camera out of the holster while I was wearing it.

None of these actions would release the camera.

How did your's "pop out"? Was it locked?

-P

>I should followup to this comment from last year.
>
>The spider belt dropped two cameras that popped out of the
>socket when the camera was bumped.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sat 09-Mar-13 12:15 AM
#15. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 14

Houston Texas, US

I have owned a Spider Holster since they first came out (a number of years ago) and never had a problem, especially dropping a camera.

There have been only 2 problems and Spider has addressed them both.
One was the premature wear on the metal clasp was noticed by some users.
The fix was to redesign that part and then send the new part to everyone who had bought a Holster from them.

The other problem was sometimes the belt buckle opened up, and this would drop the camera.
The fix was to offer every buyer a replacement belt. I declined because I have never had mine open.
That is very good customer service for a very good product!

If one is careless about not dropping the latch, then yes, your camera can fall out on the ground.
In that case you have only yourself to blame.
Perry

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Sun 24-Mar-13 07:11 PM
#16. "RE: New Spider Camera Holster"
In response to Reply # 14

Newton, US

>????
>
>I have literally run down a sideline (at a soccer game) with a
>D3s and a 70-200/2.8 locked into my spider holster and nothing
>went anywhere. I've sat down, stood up and leveraged the lens
>against my leg inadvertently which tried to force the camera
>out of the socket. I've demoed the unit by having another
>rather large man literally try to yank the camera out of the
>holster while I was wearing it.
>
>None of these actions would release the camera.
>
>How did your's "pop out"? Was it locked?
>
>-P
>
>>I should followup to this comment from last year.
>>
>>The spider belt dropped two cameras that popped out of
>the
>>socket when the camera was bumped.

After the first time I paid extra attention to the latch so I doubt forgetting to lock it was the problem. Bumps from below and behind knocked the camera out. I got into the habit of tugging on the camera to see if it was really latched, and that never pulled it out of a locked holster.

From my point of view it doesn't matter whether I was careless or the design is flawed. I am not going to buy another belt and experiment to see if it smashes another camera or lens.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #865 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.