nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #848
View in linear mode

Subject: "No focus distance in EXIF?" Previous topic | Next topic
Vox Sciurorum   Newton, US  Registered since 18th Oct 2007 Mon 30-Jan-12 12:49 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"No focus distance in EXIF?"

Nikon DSLR bodies take subject distance from "D" lenses and store it in image metadata. The EXIF metadata reader I use can't find focus distance in V1 images like it can in D200/D300/D700 images. Is the information not there or is it present in a new form the tool can't understand?

I find focus distance useful when taking closeups of live, moving insects because I can calculate the size of the subject. I know the magnification ratio at reported focus distances for my macro lenses.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources   Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US  Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004 Mon 30-Jan-12 03:17 AM
9683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: No focus distance in EXIF?"
In response to Reply # 0

John,

Nikon stores this information is their own LensData area.
They often change the layout of the information.
I expect that when the new layout is decoded you'll see the information in newer versions of your Exif reader.

It could be longer than usual as the version information for this information jumped from 2.04 to 4.00 so that sounds like a major change rather than a minor tweak.

Exiftool is often one of the first to support new cameras in this area.

Bill

Visit me at My site

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #848 Previous topic | Next topic