Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #845
View in linear mode

Subject: "FT1 autofocus limitations" Previous topic | Next topic
Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Sun 29-Jan-12 10:52 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"FT1 autofocus limitations"

Newton, US

Although I was forewarned by reviews, I'm still annoyed by the limited autofocus when using the FT1: center autofocus point in AF-S or MF modes only.

Can anybody think of legitimate technical reasons for this limitation?

BTW, the FT1 and AF work with my Sigma lenses. One lens causes the camera to complain that I have no lens attached for about a second after I turn it on. After that it's happy. It also works in MF mode with a screw drive Tamron lens.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: FT1 autofocus limitations
dankeny Gold Member
30th Jan 2012
Covey22 Moderator
30th Jan 2012
Vox Sciurorum
30th Jan 2012
Covey22 Moderator
31st Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
30th Jan 2012
Covey22 Moderator
31st Jan 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
31st Jan 2012
Convergentus
01st Feb 2012
Vox Sciurorum
02nd Feb 2012

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Mon 30-Jan-12 10:16 AM
1515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: FT1 autofocus limitations"
In response to Reply # 0

Roland, US

Especially when cropping real estate is so dear.

David

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 30-Jan-12 12:29 PM
10652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: FT1 autofocus limitations"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Sigma, Tamron and Tokina have always had to reverse-engineer Nikon's AF interface because they (understandably) don't want to pay the royalty fees to gain full access. So every time Nikon has released a new DSLR or F-mount interface like the FT-1, it's reasonable to assume they tweaked the internals. I remember the good old chaotic days when Sigma had to scramble to get popular lenses like the 70-200/2.8 HSM (non OS, non DG) working with the the newly released D100 - Japan was backlogged for months on the parts. It's fair to say that third-party lens experience with the FT-1 ends up being a hit-or-miss affair. I'm personally curious to know if it will work with the likes of Tamron's 17-50/2.8 VC, since that micro-motor may or may not be recognized by the adapter. It will be many more months (or maybe even years) before those same makers decide there's a market to be had in 3rd party CX native mounts...

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Mon 30-Jan-12 12:37 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: FT1 autofocus limitations"
In response to Reply # 2

Newton, US

I'm surprised Nikon hasn't patented the Nikon 1 camera mount or its electrical interface to make third party lenses illegal. That's the way business is done in the modern tech world.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 31-Jan-12 01:41 AM
10652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: FT1 autofocus limitations"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I contacted Tamron USA today and they indicated they had not tested any of their coreless motor (older microshaft drive and newer USD) lenses with the FT-1. So the question still stands - it will be a hit-or-miss situation.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 30-Jan-12 10:17 PM
11497 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: FT1 autofocus limitations"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

"Can anybody think of legitimate technical reasons for this limitation?"

My first thought was that the battery may not be able to drive the lenses continually but of course the V1/J1 battery is the same one used in the D7000. The battery certainly has the capacity.

However, it still could be an electrical supply issue. I am speculating here. ....

I bet that the D7000 drives the lens motors from a capacitor rather than a direct draw of power from the battery. So, is it possible that to keep the body small the Nikon 1 bodies would have smaller capacitors and therefore they cannot continuously drive the lens motor for focus tracking?

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 31-Jan-12 01:39 AM
#5. "RE: FT1 autofocus limitations"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Dave - that was my thought as well. Driving any coreless motors have to pull a high load off the battery. Nikon obviously optimized it for the new CX lenses with their Stepping Motor (STM) drives, but some compromises must have been made to drive focus on the larger AFS lenses.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 31-Jan-12 02:36 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: FT1 autofocus limitations"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

I talked with a Sigma rep the other day.
She saw no reason that they would not have a future CX mount available on their 4/3 lens.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Convergentus Registered since 31st Jan 2012Wed 01-Feb-12 09:44 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: FT1 autofocus limitations"
In response to Reply # 7

Johannesburg, ZA

Hit and miss with 3rd party lenses. My V1 does not accept my Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS lens (current version). Not that I'm about to switch to this combo for wildlife, but a stabilized 810mm F2.8 lens would have been fun!

RRRoger - maybe you can ask your Sigma rep next time you see her what their policy might be on their current lenses that are not coupling? It's probably unlikely they will update lens firmware, but if they do release Nikon 1 mount lenses they might review FT1 compatibility of their current F mount lineup?

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Thu 02-Feb-12 01:09 AM
#9. "RE: FT1 autofocus limitations"
In response to Reply # 8

Newton, US

My Sigma 500mm f/4.5 causes the camera to think a second before starting up. It is also sometimes unwilling to start autofocus. I don't think the problem is the capacitor capacity issue because once the camera decides to start it can move the lens the full focus range and then some more. More likely the big lens is so far out of focus that the autofocus circuits have no idea where to begin. This Sigma is an older one with the D200 compatibility bug (AF-ON doesn't work with D200, does with D300 and newer).

The Sigma 150mm macro lens works better.

I think the 500mm isn't sharp enough to work with the small pixels of the V1. I haven't done a fair test yet, on a tripod. I'm used to AF-C and assume the lens will keep adjusting focus until I shoot.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #845 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.