Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #814
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor" Previous topic | Next topic
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 28-Jan-12 12:08 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor"

Ottawa, CA

If the DX crop factor vis a full frame camera is 1.5, and CX is 2.7, is the crop factor of a DX lens on the V1, a crop factor of 1.2 (2.7-1.5). In other words a DX 35mm has a crop equivalent of 42mm on a V1?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor
dm1dave Administrator
28th Jan 2012
VR8 Silver Member
28th Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
29th Jan 2012
VR8 Silver Member
29th Jan 2012
gvk Silver Member
28th Jan 2012
piniongear
28th Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
28th Jan 2012
piniongear
28th Jan 2012
VR8 Silver Member
28th Jan 2012

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 28-Jan-12 01:26 AM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

No ... a 35mm DX lens is the exact same focal length as an FX 35mm lens. Only the image circle is smaller on the DX than it is on the FX.

DX lenses are marked with their true focal length not the DX equivalent.

So any 35mm lens, DX or FX, on a CX camera will have a 2.7 crop factor.

35mm on a DX camera has the same field of view as 52mm on an FX camera.

35mm on a CX camera has the same field of view as 95mm on an FX camera.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 28-Jan-12 06:11 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor"
In response to Reply # 1

Ottawa, CA

I think this comes closest to answering my question. What I wanted the crop factor not the focal length. I was thinking that the 35mm FX came closest to the crop factor of an FX 50mm

I was hoping that with the 28mm CX,35mmDX and 50mmFX ( I would have crop factors equivalent to FX 28, 50, and 135).
may have to re-think this.

I wanted a small kit for travel with sharp lenses.

Thanks

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 29-Jan-12 01:36 AM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 29-Jan-12 01:40 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

When mounted to a Nikon 1 camera body...

A CX 28mm lens will have the crop factor of 75mm FX equivalent.

A DX 35mm lens will have the crop factor of 95mm FX equivalent.

A FX 50mm lens will have the crop factor of 135mm FX equivalent.

When you look at the markings on your lenses you should ignore the CX, DX & FX designations. The focal length marked on the lens is not adjusted for the crop factor. The crop factor is a property of the camera/sensor not the lens.

If you want the crop factors of equivalent to FX 28, 50, and 135 while shooting a Nikon 1 camera you need...

10mm = 27mm
18mm = 47mm or 19mm = 51mm
50mm = 135mm

So a Nikon 1 10mm pancake is probably your best bet for the 28mm FX equivalent.

A 20mm f/2.8D with the FT-1 adaptor looks like about the closest prime available giving you 54mm FX equivalent.

A 50mm f/1.8G with the FT-1 adaptor would get you the 135mm FX equivalent.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sun 29-Jan-12 01:40 AM
#9. "RE: V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor"
In response to Reply # 8

Ottawa, CA

Thanks

gvk Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006Sat 28-Jan-12 01:40 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor"
In response to Reply # 0

Mystic, US

As Dave said, field of view changes with crop factor, not focal length of the lens. Also, crop factor is the ratio of image diagonals. Therefore, you cannot compare crop factors between camera formats by subtraction, but must divide. Thus the relative crop factor change between CX and DX is 2.7/1.5 = 1.8.

Gerry

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sat 28-Jan-12 02:10 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor"
In response to Reply # 2

Houston Texas, US

So, can one of you guys answer this question I posted this morning in another thread?...............

>> The three circles are the same size and represent the image covered by a lens of a certain size as it is imposed on a camera sensor (or film).

The squares represent the sensor area of the 3 different cameras.

We are taking pictures of the word 'Paid'.

The example on the left is a D700 and it captures much (but not all) of the image.

If we were to step back a bit we could capture the entire word, but we are going to stand in the same spot for all 3 images using 3 different cameras, and we are going to use the same lens on each camera.

The middle image taken with a D300s captures less of the word, but the image appears larger to our eye than the captured image from the D700.
1.5 times larger?

The right image is taken with a V1 and we capture even less of the word, but again this makes the image appears huge compared to the D700 shot.
2.7 times larger?

So as I understand it, the perceived larger image is not larger but just less of the 'word Paid' shown on the sensor surface.
This gives the impression of a longer lens effect.

So lets just say, for round numbers, that the three cameras are all 10MP cameras.
What is the pixel count on each of the 3 different sensors? Or I should ask, how do each compare to the others?

It would seem to me that the CX has far greater density of pixels than the FX or DX, given that all 3 cameras are 10MP and as you go left to right each sensor gets smaller and smaller.

I am thinking back to the days of film where matching a 35mm film frame against a 2-1/4 square frame of medium format film could be made.

For quality the 2-1/4 sq would always have better quality than a 35mm.
Or rather I should say.... the 2-1/4 could be enlarged far greater than the tiny 35mm resulting in a better quality of print for the medium format.

So, let's jump back to the digital world and how do the 3 different sized sensors compare with one another in this respect to quality level?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this question for me (and others perhaps).
Perry <<

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 28-Jan-12 03:52 PM
#4. "RE: V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor"
In response to Reply # 3

Lowden, US

Your illustration is a good example of how the crop factor works.

If all three sensors have the same number of pixels then all three images could be enlarged by about the same amount.

The computer only sees the number of pixels so it treats all three as the same size.

The problem with image quality comes from the quality of the captured pixels. Each pixel on the larger sensor is larger than the pixels on the smaller sensor. This means that the FX sensor can gather more light per pixel then the CX sensor. So the smaller denser sensor is less efficient and it will have a narrower dynamic range and produce more noise than the larger less dense sensor.

So even though each image can be enlarged about the same amount the image captured larger sensor is likely to have a somewhat cleaner.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sat 28-Jan-12 04:00 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston Texas, US

Thanks Dave, that makes sense.
Very similar to using fine grain film compared to less fine grain in the old days...... such as Technical Pan compared to Tri X and the results from enlarging each type of film 20 times for a print.
Perry

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 28-Jan-12 06:13 PM
#7. "RE: V1 Crop factor versus DX crop factor"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 28-Jan-12 06:14 PM by VR8

Ottawa, CA

Excellent points.
The "grain" factor is another issue.
I am not giving up on my D300 just yet.
For a walk around camera the V1 is great.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #814 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.