nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #813
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 AFS 600mm f4 VRII" Previous topic | Next topic
dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Fri 27-Jan-12 11:07 PM
1522 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 AFS 600mm f4 VRII"

Roland, US

ISO 800 f/4 1/320
Geese at about 50 meters.

That is the full frame.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: V1 AFS 600mm f4 VRII
chgortari Silver Member
28th Jan 2012
dankeny Gold Member
28th Jan 2012
chgortari Silver Member
28th Jan 2012
slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Apr 2012
slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Apr 2012
Reply message RE: V1 AFS 600mm f4 VRII - Lesser Yellowlegs
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
26th Apr 2012

chgortari Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2010Sat 28-Jan-12 01:55 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 AFS 600mm f4 VRII"
In response to Reply # 0

El Paso, US

Was this hand held or on tripod without VR?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Sat 28-Jan-12 04:50 AM
1522 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 AFS 600mm f4 VRII"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 28-Jan-12 10:29 AM by dankeny

Roland, US

Tripod with full gimbal not strapped down VR on. Hand holding that beast is a fools errand.

Edited to add: I think the biggest advantage with the V1 and 600 is no mirror slap. At 1620mm I triggered this with my finger. Roughly the equivalent of the D7k with TC1.7, which I wouldn't even consider shooting without mirror up. So it returns a bit of spontenaity to the long shots.

David

chgortari Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2010Sat 28-Jan-12 04:30 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V1 AFS 600mm f4 VRII"
In response to Reply # 2

El Paso, US

I wasn't considering how big that 600mm lens is and I've never seen one except in photo's. Your right about the electronic shutter, I do pretty well with my 70-200 vr2 and the TC20e111 . I really like my V-1, its great fun. Thanks for your post.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sat 14-Apr-12 11:13 PM
1600 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: V1 AFS 600mm f4 VRII"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

While it bothers me to say so David, this looks a little soft compared to other examples I have seen at higher mm #s, not sure about the distance in those cases however, and perhaps the stability was a factor.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Fri 20-Apr-12 09:24 PM
1600 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: V1 AFS 600mm f4 VRII"
In response to Reply # 4

Frederick, US

Since I commented on this image, I had my own experience with long lenses. I took my 200-400 zoom with a TC 20 on it and I was not pleased with the outcome. I found out later that I had not set the image quality and I was using medium-size JPG as a recording format. I have readjusted the stored image format, but have yet to test the system again. Hopefully I will be able to do so over the weekend (tomorrow).

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 26-Apr-12 11:28 PM
8998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: V1 AFS 600mm f4 VRII - Lesser Yellowlegs"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 26-Apr-12 11:59 PM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

Here's another one with the V1 and 600 f/4 VR. This was mounted on a tripod using teh RRS Gimbal head. The head was loose as the subject was moving.

Camera settings were
ISO 800
1/800 sec
f/4

This image was processed in Capture NX2. It was cropped to a width of about 1500 pixels and then resized to about 900 pixels for posting.

At ISO 800 colors are alittle muted and dynamic range is not very good, but for a full frame equivalent of 1600mm and a significant crop it is pretty good.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #813 Previous topic | Next topic