nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #80
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pre-Purchse" Previous topic | Next topic
Tuxster   Barrie, CA  Registered since 08th Aug 2007 Sat 24-Sep-11 08:20 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pre-Purchse"

I jsut pre-purchaed the V1 kit from Henry's in Ontario. I was saving up for a new lens for my d7k. I have been wanting a nice slim Leica for a while but the prices are really out there for a used M8, or M9, then the glass. I only own Nikon equipment.
When the announcement came of the J1/V1 I wen into my local Henry's and ordered the V1 kit with the two lenses. Am I dreaming this will satisfy my desire for a Leica? Should I have just bought the lens I was longing for instead?
What's your take on this? What would you do?

BTW I am new to Nikonians and looking forward to posting/reading more in the future.

Thx

Micheal

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Pre-Purchse rickpaul Silver Member
25th Sep 2011
Reply message RE: Pre-Purchse RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
26th Sep 2011
Reply message RE: Pre-Purchse KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Sep 2011
Reply message RE: Pre-Purchse Floridian Silver Member
26th Sep 2011
     Reply message RE: Pre-Purchase KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Sep 2011
     Reply message RE: Pre-Purchase RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
26th Sep 2011
     Reply message RE: Pre-Purchse KnightPhoto Gold Member
27th Sep 2011
          Reply message RE: Pre-Purchse RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
27th Sep 2011
05th Oct 2011
                    Reply message RE: Pre-Purchse rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section.
05th Oct 2011
                         Reply message RE: Pre-Purchse Garrett Hayes Gold Member
06th Oct 2011
06th Oct 2011
                                   Reply message RE: Pre-Purchse jpFoto
06th Oct 2011
                                        Reply message RE: Pre-Purchse MrGadget
23rd Oct 2011

rickpaul Silver Member  Tucson, US  Charter Member Sun 25-Sep-11 02:57 AM
1808 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 0

I think you'll be happy with the purchase. From the spec's, this camera delivers what i have been looking for. A quality, compact camera that i can also use my other lenses on for time to time. And if I'm right, someone will also come out with a Leica adapter to allow us to mount Leica lenses on the 1 bodies.

Enjoy, and you'll be one of the first Nikonians to be able to report back to us on your intial findings!

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.   Monterey Bay, US  Charter Member Mon 26-Sep-11 02:28 AM
3186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 1

There is already a telescope adapter on the market,
so I am sure there will be others.

KnightPhoto Gold Member  Alberta, CA  Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006 Mon 26-Sep-11 02:39 AM
4595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Nikonians! I have also pre-ordered the V1, in my case from McBain Camera here locally.

Their Nikon rep indicated the camera will be a hard-to-get item through to Christmas and beyond. They made it sound like I will get one before Xmas, but only just. Did you get any guidance as to when to expect it? I see on Nikon.ca they are running a countdown that implies we will get the camera Oct. 20. I would rather get it late October than just prior to Christmas!

My main motivation for ordering it was for it's compactness, in my case I don't own a compact, and I have been waiting for Nikon to release a RAW-shooting one that has a Nikon adapter. So far so good.

I don't think we can expect the IQ of a Leica M9 since that is a full-frame and a beaut at that. The M8 had its own unique IQ challenges AFAIK.

With the Nikon-1 2.7 crop factor I have been doing a limited amount of sample viewing on the web and I am at times elated and other times a little worried (at higher ISOs seems to be a fair amount of noise reduction going on but in truth the dpreview samples look very impressive).

If I can squeeze what I would call very good images through to ISO 800 that would meet my expectations and a decent 1600 would be a bonus for me. Has anyone noticed if this is a base ISO 100 or 200 sensor?

I am over the moon on handling speed and video possibilities - that high speed emphasis, and I could go on and on , seems to me like a masterstroke. Absolutely, speed is what has been missing on the market and I am wishing Nikon well.

I am excited about having a small, fast focusing and fast fps camera.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Floridian Silver Member  Tallahassee, Florida, US  Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007 Mon 26-Sep-11 03:19 PM
2788 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 3

>... I have been waiting for Nikon to release
> a RAW-shooting one that has a Nikon adapter...

Why get this camera rather than a micro four-thirds camera? There are already adapters for m4/3 cameras to use Nikon lenses. You have a new lens mount system in either case, and m4/3 has a good reputation and a large selection of lenses already.

I'm not criticizing the Nikon 1 cameras or saying you'd be better off with something different. But, since nothing on the Nikon 1 is compatible with the Nikon F-mount system, there is no advantage to sticking with the Nikon brand over other alternatives.

I'm not saying m4/3 is a better choice; my question is, why is the Nikon 1 system superior to the others (including Sony, Samsung, Pentax)? I'm replying to your post, Steve, but interested in any opinions anyone has on this.

Randy

KnightPhoto Gold Member  Alberta, CA  Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006 Mon 26-Sep-11 07:10 PM
4595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Pre-Purchase"
In response to Reply # 4

Combination of things:
- no MFT lens adapter performs AF with my Nikon lenses AFAIK? I am not going to be a manual focus puller on any of my cameras. I'm going to try my f2.8 zooms out on this camera, I have some ideas involving my 24-70 for video and my 70-200 for wildlife.
- MFT is using CDAF, Nikon is using PDAF. PDAF is much more applicable for moving subjects. About 80% of my photography is moving subjects.
- Fast fast camera. I like the potential of everyone of the extreme speed features the 1 delivers. I am not aware of especially fast fps etc. on any MFT. I have some fun applications for the 10fps, 60fps and 400fps features.
- I plan to really give that "time travel to the past and shoot it" feature a thorough work out. I know some P&S have offered this in the past, but this will be my first camera with that feature. In much of my action shooting, I recognize, as I view through the viewfinder, but am half a second too late on the trigger, in getting those true 10 out of 10 astounding images.
- I suspect if I get a cut I do bleed yellow and black. Actually the OLY's have interested me all along, although I have never held one. I really never ever aspire get a c-word camera, but in theory I like the various underdogs Pentax, Oly, Ricoh, etc. And I feel like the electronics companies are new kids on the block (Sony, Samsung, Panny).
- I agree that to date the Panasonic MFTs currently have the reputation for best all around video, especially the jail broken ones whatever that means. We'll have to see how the 1 measures up to this, but I am hoping the 1 will be very good. Jeez Nikon still hasn't gotten the memo about needing to support ALL of 1080p 24/25/30 frame rates! I'm guessing the 50/60 fps is a challenge due to the lower mp or something fundamental on this sensor, too much math involved for me to say for sure.
- yes I am worried about small sensor IQ, like many are. But in reality if I was going to get an Oly XZ-1 with an even smaller sensor, what am I worried about on the 1?
- I wish the 1 bodies and lenses were a little smaller but as a D7K owner, I fully support the V1 sharing the same battery!
- Nikon keeps making not exactly the right camera for me. I am learning to buy each of the ones that I have some use for and stop worrying about it being perfect. All of this is working out extremely well for Nikon

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.   Monterey Bay, US  Charter Member Mon 26-Sep-11 09:37 PM
3186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Pre-Purchase"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 26-Sep-11 09:39 PM by RRRoger

NAS got me too! I "special ordered" a V1 in Black today.

I wanted faster DSLR Video (something that can capture action).
This body is actually too small for me but I am already using a Movie TriPod and Head on my D5100,
and it may be that the cheapy shoulder rig I bought will actually work with this camera at 60fps.
There was a huge jump in smoothness just going from 24 to 30fps.
The demo Videos and even the V1 stills look pretty good to me.

The clinchers were the D7000 battery and the AFS lens adapter,

and I can get into this for only $1300 total without having to buy more stuff later because I have lots of really good Nikkors.
If I can get good pictures on Trips & Hikes, I will sell my D5100 to recoup some of my investment.
I will still have two D7000 bodies.
I did not want to lay out $2k + just to start with a Sony system after loosing at least that much on my 5D2 excursion.

KnightPhoto Gold Member  Alberta, CA  Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006 Tue 27-Sep-11 06:05 AM
#7. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 4

The other comments I have about Sony are that the NEX system, particularly the NEX-5N, look like great cameras to replace a DSLR. But the lenses are big, even though the cameras are admirably small. I'm not looking to replace my DSLR so I'm not really a target market for any of the DX mirrorless cams. As an aside, my ideal DX camera would be a D400 variant in a full pro body with integrated grip, for use as my main birding and wildlife camera with low megapixels and high ISO. Llike I say, Nikon does not make my ideal camera. Because I want high ISO I am prejudiced against the Sony 24 mp models. the other perfect camera for me would be a D4 in a D800 body. I don't expect that one either, so I just try and thnk how a given camera can be pressed into a given service for me. The m4/3 cams seem good, but they don't jump out at me in filling my pressing needs.

As for the others, I like the idea of the extremely compact Pentax Q system (IQ is said to be decent) and I would like to see Oly survive the hyper-competition underway. I dislike Kwanon's repeated offerings at the high mp alter with continued per pixel non-improvements in their 30-40-50-60D series but slavishly adding pixels each time. Nikon appears to be doing per pixel improvements at most every opportunity and I welcome that approach. It can't be easy to compete when your message is far more nuanced.

Now this embedded PDAF thing is a huge opportunity, not only for video but lo and behold even unto still shooters. Imagine that, still shooters getting a benefit from a technology motivated by improving video, ironic isn't it

Glad to see RRRoger aboard, he has been a good source of early practical info on other models!

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.   Monterey Bay, US  Charter Member Tue 27-Sep-11 07:28 AM
#8. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 7

I may jump ship if the D400 is announced before or soon after the V1 arrives.

Like I said, the V1 is too small and light weight for me to shoot stills with, and
I would rather have an all purpose camera that I could use for Events, Hikes, and Video that uses Nikkors.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.   Monterey Bay, US  Charter Member Wed 05-Oct-11 07:28 PM
#9. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 06-Oct-11 12:49 AM by RRRoger

After going to Best Buys and getting hands on the NEX5n and others,
I remember why I was so thrilled to get my first D1.

These "pocket" cameras are made for kids.
I could not get my big hands into the grip, dials, etc.
And I could not hold them steady enough to get a clean shot.
What is the purpose of a small camera if you have to carry a tripod?

I cancelled my V1 order and will "make due" with my D5100 and D7000 until the D400 or D800 arrives with HD1080P at 60fps.

rhulbert Gold Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section.   North Vancouver, CA  Charter Member Wed 05-Oct-11 07:51 PM
580 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 9

Hi Roger,

Given your situation, you probably made the right decision to cancel your V1 order.

Since I have been enjoying my NEX5 and X100 for some time, I am flattered that you are suggesting that they are made for kids.

I think you will agree that it is not easy to make a definitive decision on a camera that, to my knowledge, has not had a single thorough independent review and that has not been available for consumers to touch and feel and personally tryout.

Luckily, you have some good equipment to use until a camera that suits your needs is developed and distributed.

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada
http://www.rickhulbertphotography.com

Member, Nikonians Academy Faculty
http://www.nikoniansacademy.com/viewFacultyPage.html?page_id=8

Garrett Hayes Gold Member  Lucan, Ireland, IE  Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2004 Thu 06-Oct-11 07:27 AM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 10

I suffer from NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome)and I want to go out and buy a V1 today. I really wanted an upgrade to my D300 and D700 but this V1 came along instead. So why would I buy a V1?

Well, size, RAW files, speed and the fact that all my existing Nikkor lens can be bolted on.

If anyone can think of more reasons that I can use to justify buying one to my wife, could you post here and I will use these points to persuade her to let me buy yet another camera!

GH

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.   Monterey Bay, US  Charter Member Thu 06-Oct-11 02:34 PM
#12. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 11

Quote>I suffer from NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome)and I want to go out and buy a V1 today.<Quote

I had NAS so bad yesterday that I almost bought a NEX5n.
After staying up most of the night going over specs and watching Video demos,
I decided I could get a GH2 or NEX5n now!
They would not only have a larger Sensor with better low-light performance, but
also 60fps 1080p, not interlaced like the V1.

So I rushed down to get "hands on" and I suggest you do too before you actually buy anything

The cameras were so small that they were swallowed up in my large hands.
I had a hard time with the tiny controls and I could not hold them steady.
If I bought one, I would have to dedicate it to a TriPod.

Now, I remember why I was so thrilled to get my first D1 after trying so many Compact Digital Cameras.
When I got home and looked at the pictures on my flash card,
I cancelled my V1 order.

I will have to "get by" with my D5100 and D7000 until the D400 or D800 is released.

jpFoto   US  Registered since 25th Jun 2010 Thu 06-Oct-11 10:50 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 12
Thu 06-Oct-11 10:56 PM by jpFoto

Hi Roger

Although I have often expressed my opinion that the Nex, the 4/3 cameras, and the new Nikon 1 cameras are probably not for me, you can't classify them as "kid's cameras." They are all very expensive systems, and as I recall, even adjusted for inflation, my allowance would never have allowed me to purchase any one of these systems. In the non-Nikon camera forum, Rick explained how he has implemented the Nex 5 into his photography and if it works for him then that is great. My hands are medium sized so I can use anything from a Nex5 to a D3S. Drbee has posted a number of excellent images that he took with his X100 on a recent trip to Italy, all of which are excellent. Once again, I would never buy a fixed focal length camera and then have it as my only camera for a trip abroad, but it worked for him and he made it work well.

Different strokes for different folks. None of these cameras work for me although I wish that they did, and I hope that they keep trying because I would still like to have that pocketable D3S.

jP

MrGadget   US  Registered since 23rd Oct 2011 Sun 23-Oct-11 03:15 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Pre-Purchse"
In response to Reply # 13

Hi.. Newbie to Nikonians here, but not new to cameras or Nikons.

I have a stable of poor-mans Nikon bodies and lenses. My first Nikon SLR was a brand new FM3a and a Sigma 28-200 AF lens. Then I added a pair of nice used N2020 AF bodies and a small EM for fun.

I like to shoot WIDE, very wide so this whole digital transition has not been an easy decision. I love good cameras (tools) but have a very limited budget. Since most of my lenses are older MF lenses not many of the new Nikon bodies work very well with them. The closest was the D90 with a focal length factor of 1.5x. I had hoped for an affordable full-frame Nikon digital I could afford (new or used) and make good use of my stable of lenses. The D90 is a great camera, just beyond my means.

I recently gave up on going for a Nikon digital body and went with the Panny G2 micro 4/3s bodies and Nikon adapter so I can continue using my Nikon glass. My fav 35mm format lens was/is my 19-35mm zoom. Like I said I like to shoot WIDE.

Personally I like the EVIL cameras with the viewfinder better than one without. There are times a rear LCD is just not as practical for me.

I have been playing with my Nikon film lenses collection on my G2 and they work fine. The only issue I have is again the loss of view angle.

I plan to get a oly 9-18mm m4/3s zoom for my G2 to get me back into the wide view I like; Don't need a telephoto lens, I have plenty of lenses I can use from my Nikon film cameras.

I still have my first camera my dad gave me when I was 15, a Polaroid model-80, still works but no film now for decades. I also shoot view-master 3D, Mamiya 645 and press format as well as Medium Format 120 film 3D, realist format 3D and Fuji digital 3D and more....

Cameras are TOOLS, no more no less.

MrGadget

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #80 Previous topic | Next topic