Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #771
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod..." Previous topic | Next topic
ckatosmith Registered since 25th Aug 2007Tue 24-Jan-12 07:33 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
Tue 24-Jan-12 07:39 PM by ckatosmith

Washington state, US

I thought I was going to bypass getting a Nikon 1 (V1) until I started seeing exciting possibilities because of the 2.7 crop factor for bird photography/wildlife. I have ordered the FT-1 before even the camera, because it still seems scarce, and I will be excited to try it on my 80-400mm VR (I know its not AF-S, etc), and my non OS Sigma 300-800mm lens (seems it might work with Sigma non-OS from what I've garnered on the web).

So no issues of weight strain since those lenses have their own tripod collars to mount to the tripod. But I wanted to try out the 105 VR for it's f/2.8 and micro capabilities, but the lens doesn't have a tripod mount capability and the Nikon website states that for lenses > 380g (the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105 f/2.8G IF-ED is 790g) the lens should be attached to the tripod mount instead of the FT-1 adapter (certainly makes sense).

I suspect there are a number of lenses that may fall through the cracks... to heavy for suggested FT-1 tripod mount, but where the photographer wants to do tripod work versus hand supporting the lens weight during handheld shooting.

Any thoughts on this or a work around I'm not seeing?

Equipment and technique are important,
Vision is supreme,
Passion the reason...

CarolinaSmith.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tr...
piniongear
24th Jan 2012
ckatosmith
24th Jan 2012
piniongear
24th Jan 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
25th Jan 2012
piniongear
25th Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
26th Jan 2012
piniongear
26th Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
26th Jan 2012
piniongear
26th Jan 2012
dankeny Gold Member
26th Jan 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
25th Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
25th Jan 2012
ckatosmith
26th Jan 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Jan 2012
ckatosmith
27th Jan 2012

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Tue 24-Jan-12 08:55 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 0

Houston Texas, US

Well, I am not familiar with what Nikon says about this but I mount my 105 Micro f/2.8 VRII on the FT1 and then attach the whole set up using the FT1 tripod mount to attach to the tripod.
I have no problems with this at all.

However, I find that when getting as close to the subject as possible (5 inches) I am wanting a focus rail to fine tune the focus.

This is a shot of a dime at a distance of 5 inches between the lens and the coin. I used the SB-N5 Speedlight and the pic is right out of the camera......

Perry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

ckatosmith Registered since 25th Aug 2007Tue 24-Jan-12 09:42 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 24-Jan-12 09:43 PM by ckatosmith

Washington state, US

Thanks for your reply.

Here is the link to what I read:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/accessories/mount_adapter_ft1/restrictions.htm

I know the 105VR was also not on the list to use with the CLS (lighting)system on, yet some folks do... so being a bit conservative, am looking to see if there was a work around to not imposing a questionable weight strain on the FT-1 adapter mount with lenses that are heavier than Nikon's suggested limit. I find that I get sharper images when using the tripod (no surprise) for me than hand holding, though of course I'm willing to try handholding this setup.

It would be nice if there were some type of tripod collar for the 105VR... of course I would have never thought of that until the possibilities of the V1 with other Nikon F mount lenses came to light!

Vision is supreme,
Passion the reason...

CarolinaSmith.com

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Tue 24-Jan-12 10:06 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 2

Houston Texas, US

Your question got me to thinking.
Now this has no bearing on a collar question for the 105 Micro, but interesting too me non the less.

I took the same set up with the dime and mounted my 200mm AIS Micro lens on the FT1.
The closest I can get with this lens is 20 inches away from the front lens.

First, auto focus is not possible of course.
Also, the focus aid in the V1 does not work either. The frame stays white instead of green.

So I took this pic under tungsten light with the rig on a tripod and using the timer to trip the shutter.......

And again as before this pic is as taken from the camera (not cropped).
Not too bad considering I did the manual focus by eye.

Following this shot I took another one using the SB-N5 flash.
The flash was set at 'AUTO' and the result was a white field with no dime in sight.

I then reduced the flash all the way down to 1/32 and this is the result. Right from the camera with no adjustments being made.....

So my point is that even an old AIS manual lens can be made to work on this wonderful little V1 camera.
Nikon has really made a very nice camera with the V1/J1.
And for me, it is like carrying around a lens with no camera body attached.
Perry

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 25-Jan-12 11:19 PM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 1

Alberta, CA

Does this rig allow you to get closer than 1:1? Or is it just that you are able to achieve 1:1 from a greater distance from your subject?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Wed 25-Jan-12 11:33 PM
#7. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 6

Houston Texas, US

According to the shots I took of the dime with my 105 Micro at 5 inches away.... I would say that I exceeded the 1:1 ratio by a wide margin.
How much? I cannot say, but perhaps it is greater by a factor of 2.7?
pg

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 26-Jan-12 12:42 AM
11052 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 26-Jan-12 12:44 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

I am not positive but I am pretty sure that the crop factor does not affect the actual magnification. So at it's closest focus the 105/2.8 VR can only get up to 1:1. The difference is that you are recording a smaller portion of the object, due to the cropped sensor, and therefore you are enlarging the image more.

1:1 = the size of the object that is projected by the lens onto the sensor is the same size as the actual object. How much you crop and enlarge is irrelevant.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Thu 26-Jan-12 01:37 AM
#9. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 8

Houston Texas, US

>I am not positive but I am pretty sure that the crop factor
>does not affect the actual magnification. So at it's closest
>focus the 105/2.8 VR can only get up to 1:1. The difference
>is that you are recording a smaller portion of the object, due
>to the cropped sensor, and therefore you are enlarging the
>image more.
>
>1:1 = the size of the object that is projected by the lens
>onto the sensor is the same size as the actual object. How
>much you crop and enlarge is irrelevant.
>

Well, I am not certain myself.
But I took the entire pic of the dime.... or all of it that I could take at the distance I was from the dime. That distance was 11 inches from dime to 'film plane'.

I did not enlarge or crop the image..... but rather just took it as it came out of the camera.

All I can say is the image looks a lot larger than a 1:1 ratio to me.
Now the minimum distance for close focus on that lens is 1 foot.
The fact that I was 11 inches away and still in focus puzzles me.

Maybe someone can explain this?
Perry

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 26-Jan-12 02:08 AM
11052 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu 26-Jan-12 02:18 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

The crop and enlargement I am referring to is automatic due to the small size of the CX sensor.

1:1 means that a 1mm subject will cover exactly 1mm on the sensor.

If you view the image on your monitor at 10 inches wide then the image is being enlarged 2.7x more than it would be if you shot it with an FX camera and viewed at the same size.

An FX camera shooting the same dime at a 1:1 will capture a larger portion of the dime because the sensor is larger.

Your CX camera will capture a smaller portion of the dime, not because of higher magnification, but because the recording format is smaller.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Thu 26-Jan-12 02:25 AM
#11. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 10

Houston Texas, US

Thanks for the explanation Dave. I guess I understand that....somewhat anyway.
I realize the difference between a DX and Fx format, just having some trouble going from an FX to a CX. The resulting image just looks so much larger to me with the CX.
Perry

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Thu 26-Jan-12 03:43 AM
1459 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 10

Roland, US

Dave is right about magnification, but there is a difference. The 1:1 on the D700 (for example) will be the same magnification, but the V1 will be higher resolution. More pixels on the dime.

David

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 25-Jan-12 07:33 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 25-Jan-12 07:40 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I use my 28-300 and the FT-1 with no problems.
It weighs 1.76 lbs or 800g

Both the VR and AF-S work well.
But of course only with the center spot,
so tracking a small bird in flight will be difficult.
The D4 in 2.7x mode might be the best ticket for birding.
We will have to see what the D800 and D400 actually offer.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 25-Jan-12 11:11 PM
#5. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 25-Jan-12 11:17 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Hi Carolina,

Reading the info on the link you provided I think you are combining two different bullet points.

The first bullet point, the only one that mentions the weight of the lens, reads as follows.

- "When using the adapter with lenses weighing over 380 g (13.4 oz), support the lens when holding the camera and do not use the camera strap. Failure to observe these precautions could damage the camera lens mount.

It is a warning that you should not support weight of the lens by the camera itself as you may damage the part of the mount between the adaptor and the camera body.

The FT-1 has its own tripod socket. You should use the FT-1's tripod socket to mount to the tripod. This will relieve any stress on the smaller mount on the camera side of the FT-1 adaptor.

The next warning says...

- "When using telephoto lenses equipped with a tripod collar, attach the tripod to the lens tripod collar rather than to the adapter tripod socket.

Lenses with their own tripod collars are usually long and fairly heavy so this same advice is applicable to all Nikon cameras.

---------------

The 105/2.8 VR should be fine as long as you use the FT-1 Tripod socket as your mounting point and always support the rig by the lens when it is not attached to the tripod.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

ckatosmith Registered since 25th Aug 2007Thu 26-Jan-12 02:45 AM
#12. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 5

Washington state, US

Hi dm1dave,

Ok, yes, I see what you are saying. Thank you for your insight and for answering my original question!

Carolina

Vision is supreme,
Passion the reason...

CarolinaSmith.com

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 26-Jan-12 01:01 PM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 12

Alberta, CA

Please keep us posted on how the Nikon 1 performs with your 300-800

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

ckatosmith Registered since 25th Aug 2007Fri 27-Jan-12 12:00 AM
#15. "RE: Tripod work and FT-1 mount strain for lenses w/o tripod mount"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri 27-Jan-12 12:05 AM by ckatosmith

Washington state, US

Heh heh, will do (re the 300-800mm Sigma).

I just ordered the V1 and should also have the FT-1 waiting for me... I won't be able to test until the 2nd week in Feb. I'll be interested in putting some f/1.4 primes on it as well. I think this V1 is going to expand options!

If I become facile with it quickly enough, I may consider taking it to a Winter Yellowstone photography tour (mid-Feb) and keep an 18-200mm DX lens on it... hmmm (I was planning on keeping the 80-400 VR on my D7000 for reach, and 16-35 f/4 on the D3x for wide ) so this could fill in the 35-120 'effective' gap I still had, maybe without being too weighted down, and then I wouldn't have to change lenses in the cold. I was glad to read that the V1 and D7000 can use the same batteries.

Vision is supreme,
Passion the reason...

CarolinaSmith.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #771 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.