Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #647
View in linear mode

Subject: "J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens" Previous topic | Next topic
yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Wed 11-Jan-12 03:50 AM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens"

San carlos, US

I just got this Nikon 1 J1 model, and brand new FT-1 adapter. The 10-30mm CX lens works just fine but the FT-1 adapter on the camera does not seem to recognize any of my AFS lens. So far, I tried 70-200 VR1 2.8, and 28-300mm AFS VR2 lens and the camera displays an error mnessage prompting me to check that a lens is attached. It is not the lens, it must be the camera or adapter.

Anybody saw this? I got to return one of them, but which?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens
gvk Silver Member
11th Jan 2012
Smiilez
11th Jan 2012
yelcab
11th Jan 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
11th Jan 2012
yelcab
11th Jan 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
11th Jan 2012
piniongear
11th Jan 2012
yelcab
12th Jan 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
15th Jan 2012

gvk Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006Wed 11-Jan-12 04:59 AM
283 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 11-Jan-12 04:59 AM by gvk

Mystic, US

Have you updated the J1 firmware? Version 1.1 added support for the FT-1.

Gerry

Smiilez Registered since 08th Jan 2012Wed 11-Jan-12 05:51 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

go to nikons website search firmware youll find a list of cameras and lenses look up the j1 and they will give you step by step instructions on updating the firmware it takes about ten minutes

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Wed 11-Jan-12 01:41 PM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens"
In response to Reply # 2

San carlos, US

Found the instruction but I do not have an SD card reader so i cannot transfer the file to the SD Card. I guess plugging the camera into the PC does not work as a disc drive.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 11-Jan-12 03:06 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

Many public library computers have built in card readers.

Card readers are inexpensive. They are also helpful in downloading images to a computer. You do not need to worry about your cat knocking your camera off of you desk.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Wed 11-Jan-12 03:40 PM
#5. "RE: J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens"
In response to Reply # 4

San carlos, US

I'll buy one. It is just that the house is full of electronic doodads for cell phones, lap tops, PCs, cameras of different battery types, USB cables, USB mini cables, HDMI cables, stereo cables, Ethernet cables, and power extension cords.

I don't freaking need another device that is used once every 2 years and I would have to go find it when I need it once every 2 years. Don't they get it? Make life simple, not complicated.

Having to go to a library to update your firmware, excuse me ?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 11-Jan-12 03:56 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 11-Jan-12 03:57 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Both my notebook and netbook have built in card readers for the SD card.

Since I use a card reader for transferring images to my computer, I keep in my camera kit and have it even in the field if I need it. I also use the card reader for side loading PDF manuals and other documents to my eReader.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Wed 11-Jan-12 04:31 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens"
In response to Reply # 6

Houston Texas, US

I have a V1 and an FT1 myself and had a similar problem needing to download the firmware.

Get yourself a card reader for $12.
It is cheap, small, and you will use it more that you think.

The J1 uses an SD card and it is far easier to remove the card and use the reader to download your images to the computer than to hook up the camera using a USB cable.
The firmware should take care of your problem with the FT1.
perry

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Thu 12-Jan-12 07:28 PM
#8. "RE: J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens"
In response to Reply # 7

San carlos, US

updated the firmware last night and now the AFS lenses do work great. I am still trying to see if the VR feature works at all. It is kind of funny seeing this tiny camera on the back of this big lens.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 15-Jan-12 08:21 AM
4450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: J1 and FT-1 does not recognize my AFS lens"
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

I don't have my adaptor yet, still on order, can't wait to try!

You might find that your PC(s) have a built-in SD card-reader on it. Many PCs/Macs have a built in SD card-reader these days.

I know it took me a while to realize my iMac had a SD-card-reader slot built right in on the right hand side below the DVD drive.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #647 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.