Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #473
View in linear mode

Subject: "Firmware Updates for J1 and V1 bodies" Previous topic | Next topic
wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Tue 13-Dec-11 01:21 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Firmware Updates for J1 and V1 bodies"
Tue 13-Dec-11 10:54 PM by dm1dave

Gendt, NL

Hello,

Nikon releases new firmware for the V1 and J1: v1.10

New is FT1 support and PixelMapping.

I didn't understand PixelMapping so I contacted Nikon.

PixelMapping is a procedure that could only be done in a Nikon support centre before. Now you do it yourself.
What it does is deactivate pixels that are behaving bad and let the surrounding pixels take over that job.
It is a 1 way proces: the function can only DEactivate pixels, it cannot REactivate them, so use is only when needed.When too much pixels are closed down the only way out is a sensor replacement.

Nikon says to use it when you see lighter spots in your picture.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New Firmware
dm1dave Administrator
13th Dec 2011
rjperez Gold Member
13th Dec 2011
tiderman998
23rd Dec 2011
Reply message New firmware for V1 & J1 as of Feb 7, 2012
dm1dave Administrator
07th Feb 2012
Reply message RE: New firmware for V1 & J1 as of Feb 7, 2012
piniongear
21st Feb 2012
Reply message RE: Firmware Updates for J1 and V1 bodies
Vox Sciurorum
11th Apr 2012
Reply message Firmware Updates for J1 and V1 bodies: A 1.12 B 1.10
wblink
08th May 2012
Reply message RE: Firmware Updates for J1 and V1 bodies: A 1.12 B ...
SammyDarkling
29th May 2012
wblink
30th May 2012
wblink
30th May 2012
FredB D3 Silver Member
31st May 2012

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 13-Dec-11 10:53 PM
11387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New Firmware"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 13-Dec-11 10:55 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

December 13, 2011

Links to the firmware updates from Nikon Europe...

Nikon 1 J1 Firmware Update 1.10

Nikon 1 V1 Firmware Update 1.10

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

rjperez Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2009Tue 13-Dec-11 11:57 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: New Firmware"
In response to Reply # 1

Chestnut Hill, US

Thanks for posting the link!

Dick -

My Nikonians Gallery

D7000/D40X
Sigma 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG (Jul2010)
AF-S 50mm 1.4G (Mar2009)
AF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G II (Kit)
AF-S 55-200mm 4-5.6G
Tamron 18-270mm 3.5-6.3 Di II

tiderman998 Registered since 09th May 2007Fri 23-Dec-11 03:01 AM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New Firmware"
In response to Reply # 1

Piney Point, US

THANKS for the links. I updated the firmware on my BRAND NEW Nikon1 V1, within an hour of Santa(UPS), dropping it off!!!!

Earl
D7000
Nikon 1

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 07-Feb-12 09:47 PM
11387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "New firmware for V1 & J1 as of Feb 7, 2012"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 07-Feb-12 09:52 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Nikon 1 J1 firmware A:1.11 / B:1.10

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17638

b]Modifications enabled in this version A 1.11, B 1.10
- An issue that sometimes caused images captured using the built-in flash to be over-exposed has been resolved.

--------------------------------------

Nikon 1 V1 firmware A:1.11 /B 1.10

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17643

Modifications enabled in this version A 1.11, B 1.10
- An issue that sometimes caused images captured using the Speedlight SB-N5 to be over-exposed has been resolved.
- When switching from framing photos in the monitor to using the electronic viewfinder, or vice versa, with focus mode set to MF (manual focus) and the display zoomed in, the camera sometimes did not function properly. This issue has been resolved.

---------------------------------------

See the post below if you prefer to download from Nikon Europe.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=419&topic_id=889&mesg_id=889&page=

----------------------------------------

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Tue 21-Feb-12 02:10 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New firmware for V1 & J1 as of Feb 7, 2012"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston Texas, US

dm1dave,
Thanks for the link for the firmware update!

I needed that because my flash has been over exposing at close range

and the firmware update took care of the problem.

I thought the SB-N5 was my problem.
Perry

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Wed 11-Apr-12 12:02 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Firmware Updates for J1 and V1 bodies"
In response to Reply # 0

Newton, US

There is also a firmware update for the GPS unit. The update is installed by USB connection to a Mac or PC rather than through the camera.

This update fixes a bug where the GPS unit sends the wrong time to the camera. The camera time is often set some hours in the past, possibly related to when the GPS was last used, until the GPS gets a new signal lock. To avoid the bug I had set my camera not to set time from GPS until I learned of this update.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51745/~/gp-n100-firmware-update-1.01

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Tue 08-May-12 01:55 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Firmware Updates for J1 and V1 bodies: A 1.12 B 1.10"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 08-May-12 01:58 PM by wblink

Gendt, NL

This is the NL site, seems ok for all:

https://nikoneurope-nl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52231

Looks like a rather minor update, wonder why they made 1. It just seems to fix a bug of some duplicate pictures in SLOWMO films at 1200 bps.

Cannot imagine Nikon would bring out a new firmware for just this obscure bug. Hope there is more (will dig into the menu's ...)

Willem

Sony Nex-7

SammyDarkling Registered since 29th May 2012Tue 29-May-12 04:41 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Firmware Updates for J1 and V1 bodies: A 1.12 B 1.10"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 29-May-12 04:41 PM by SammyDarkling

AU

so basically, instead of replacing faulty sensors they have devised a way to remove broken sensors and replace with estimated localized regions

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Wed 30-May-12 02:43 PM
#9. "RE: Firmware Updates for J1 and V1 bodies: A 1.12 B 1.10"
In response to Reply # 8

Gendt, NL

>so basically, instead of replacing faulty sensors they have
>devised a way to remove broken sensors and replace with
>estimated localized regions

I'm sorry, I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about.

What "faulty sensors"?

And what do you mean with the other lines?

If you mean the pixel utility: that was always there, but now you can do it yourself and don't need a Nikon Repair Centre.

It's common to all digital camera's. But Nikon offers a way to "repair".

Willem

Sony Nex-7

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Wed 30-May-12 02:46 PM
#10. "RE: Firmware Updates for J1 and V1 bodies: A 1.12 B 1.10"
In response to Reply # 8

Gendt, NL

>so basically, instead of replacing faulty sensors they have
>devised a way to remove broken sensors and replace with
>estimated localized regions

I'm sorry to say that I think you look in a negative way to the Nikon 1 series.
I (and I think many more out here) would gladly help you, but with this attitude you won't generate much help.

Don't be angry, please, we're just trying.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Thu 31-May-12 10:02 PM
860 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Firmware Updates for J1 and V1 bodies: A 1.12 B 1.10"
In response to Reply # 8

Potomac, US

A faulty pixel or single light sensor here and there would not be enough to warrant replacement of the entire chip. The replacement decision probably would depend on how many pixels (often described as “hot” pixels) were bad and how they might be concentrated. They often or usually show up as bright red, green, or blue (RGB) spots in the image that is projected on your computer monitor. Single defective pixels are difficult to spot except at high magnifications so are not always consequential; they usually form an R, G or B colored + sign. Also, in some cases they might show up only in long exposures. I believe there have been discussion on this in other forums and threads; you could do a search.

Mapping eliminates defective or “hot” pixels where screen replacement is not warranted. I do not believe any of my digital cameras have ever had a hot pixel on the chip, although one camera did have a single defective pixel on the screen. I have, however, seen images from, I believe, a D90 that had several “hot” pixels. They were of concern because we were looking for small splotches of color in the images at the time, and the reds we were looking for were close in color value to the defective red pixels. I put “hot” in quotes because I don’t recall if that is the precise terminology for this type of defect.

Fred
Maryland, USA

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #473 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.